The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Dog vomiting white foam, looking for advice

Rosieruffles

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
Hi
I’m desperately looking for advice for my beloved 13 year old female dog.

4 weeks ago she was happily eating her lunch, when she started to reverse sneeze and brought up her food, yellow bile and then white frothy mucus.

this continued over the weekend brought her to the vet who diagnosed kennel cough, gave her cerenia and bisolvon.

I took her back two days later as she was no better, a different vet gave her loxicom and injected her with prevomax, she had an awful night panting and shaking.

Took her to another vet who took a blood test, which came back normal, and gave her Tagamet.

I took her back to her own vet, for an X-ray and ultra sound as I thought it could be a blockage. The X-ray came back that she has an enlarged liver and a bladder stone. They put her on a course of anti biotics, metaclopromide, and ursodil acid.

to this point no medicine has help an she is not currently taking anything.

the only way we can get her to keep food down is to blend it and give her a small amount every 15mins as if she has to much she starts reverse sneezing.

we are just starting our 5th week of this, and at our wits end as to how else help her, they will not do any further tests like ct scans or mri because of her age.

does anyone have any advice as to what we can do for her. When she is not being sick, she is happy playing ball and wanting to go for a walk.

thank you

I'm sorry I don't have much that is helpful but I didn't want to read and run.

Is it the same vet you have been seeing, can you get a second opinion?

Thank you for your reply

she has seen three different vets at one practice, and out of desperation we took her to another, that did the blood test.

thank you

How is she when she's not eating - does she seem her normal self, and is she still happy to go on walks, play etc.?

Thank you for replying,

yes she is her normal self, it is the eating her normal amount in one go, which causes her to throw up, we are hand feeding her blended chicken at regular intervals, which she can keep down. The X-ray and ultra sound showed no abnormality which her oesophagus or her trachea, but it seems that she is choking when trying to eat normally and that the reverse sneezing is causing her to retch and vomit.
Thank you.

Sorry that I can't offer you much except that you continue to let her enjoy life , feed as you are doing and go back to the vets to seek further investigation. I really feel for you having loved, nursed and lost several cats and dogs over the years. Our pets are family and precious.

Thank you for your kind words I’m sorry for your losses, it’s the hardest part of owning a pet. I have continued to feed her this way today, she has now gone nearly 30 hours without vomiting, which is the longest it’s been since she started, we went on a half hour walk this morning, which was lovely, she has not wanted to eat much since we got back, she’s had a little chicken and some egg and a couple of spoons of liquivite. My other old boy, is nearly 15 and has a hacking cough, so to see both poorly is awful, but we will do all we can to keep them comfy, they are never left alone so we are lucky that we can give them the attention they need and deserve, they are our family x

Can I ask what breed she is, out of interest? And is she drinking fine or does it happen then too?
It is so hard when you don't know what's wrong, but it does sound like you've found a way to manage it and wonderful that you are able to give her the time she needs to eat little and often. It is the toughest time seeing our dogs age and be poorly and so sorry to hear your old boy is not so well too...x

Can I ask what breed she is, out of interest? And is she drinking fine or does it happen then too?
It is so hard when you don't know what's wrong, but it does sound like you've found a way to manage it and wonderful that you are able to give her the time she needs to eat little and often. It is the toughest time seeing our dogs age and be poorly and so sorry to hear your old boy is not so well too...x
Thank you Flobo for your kind words.
We found her in a box on the road in Crete, she was a tiny little girl cover in fleas with an opened tin of dog food all over her, the box was a box for ruffles crisps so we named her Rosie Ruffles, she is a mixed breed tan and white maybe a bit of terrier in her, have attached a photo of her from a couple of days ago. she can drink and keep down water, no problem, she is unable to swallow chunks of food, they get stuck and then she gags and retches until it comes out with lots of white foam and mucus, she has kept down her blended chicken so far today, we are trying to work out how much she needs as she can only eat a little at a time and I am concerned she is not getting enough food and nutrients she has lost weight, but to be honest she was a little plump, but I don’t want her to lose any more, although I will never get a proper diagnosis from the vet, who said she was vomiting because of her enlarged liver, she is not nauseous and wants to eat, I feel the problem is a swallowing one. X

Attachments

• E216DECF-BC64-4ED2-8DD1-A8E8F8EB1248.jpeg
    E216DECF-BC64-4ED2-8DD1-A8E8F8EB1248.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 72
What a great rescue story, I'm so glad you took her in. I'm sorry I have nothing to offer about her current problems but I have everything crossed in the hope she recovers fully and quickly.

What a great rescue story, I'm so glad you took her in. I'm sorry I have nothing to offer about her current problems but I have everything crossed in the hope she recovers fully and quickly.
Thank you so much I really appreciate your kind words of support, and wishing you all the best xx

Aw poor little mite, she looks so sweet.
When my ferrets were elderly/poorly and not eating great, I was supplementing their diet with something called 'critical care'... but it's for small animals/exotics. I just had a little noodle online and if you have a look at Aniforte.co.uk they do some great sounding natural supplements in powder form, so you could mix it in with her blended chicken to add a bit more nutrition. They have a contact on their website too so you could always ask their advice...

Thank you so much for the information, I will have a look now, it’s day two of her keeping her food down, I am so hopeful, and her appetite is good and we had a little walk again this morning. Ferrets are so cute, I bet they are lots of fun to have as a pet. X

Ferrets are so cute, I bet they are lots of fun to have as a pet. X
:D:DYes they are! If you go to the 'other animals' section on this forum you can see them:cool:
Glad she's keeping food down and enjoying a little walk :)

:D:DYes they are! If you go to the 'other animals' section on this forum you can see them:cool:
Glad she's keeping food down and enjoying a little walk :)
Great photos and read all the way through the thread lots of fun, adventures and heartache. X

If your vet hasnt done it , get him to check for excess fluid on the lungs,my last dog had similar symptoms.

If your vet hasnt done it , get him to check for excess fluid on the lungs,my last dog had similar symptoms.
Thank you for the advice the vet said she didn’t have fluid on her lungs, but then again each vet I have seen has said a different thing, so I’m at a loss as to know what the cause is, and am just trying to manage her on a soft food diet, and it’s trial and error as to what she can swallow and keep down she is doing best on blended chicken and rice so far.

Hope you find a solution, my dog had 3 different diagnosis before his true condition was confirmed,even then
they were not totally sure

Hope you find a solution, my dog had 3 different diagnosis before his true condition was confirmed,even then
they were not totally sure
Thank you it’s hard not knowing, and sorry you had to go through the same with your dog.

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back