The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Dogs in cars

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
I'm still not sure on the laws surrounding it if anyone can help out. I've no concern of anyone breaking into my car to get my dog as, like I said, I avoid taking her in the car, but I am curious to know where I'd stand legally if someone damaged my property and prevented it from containing the dog, and then got bitten by the dog. I think my note protects her enough as anyone who is worried can call my phone and two minutes later I would be at the car.

dog-law is weird, & especially weird here in the USA, where a convicted criminal serving time can bring a lawsuit on the owners of the dog that bit him WHILE he was burgling their home, AFTER he'd already made 3 or 4 trips into & out of the house, loading stuff onto their outdoor deck, & filling his pockets.
He fled when police arrived, but the trail of dropped items from his pockets as he ran made him easy to follow. :rolleyes:

A multi-million dollar judgement was made against the owners, despite the excellent Calif Dangerous Dog Law, which specifically protects a dog who bites someone who's committing a tort on the owner's property, at the time.
:confused:
Personally, i think the judge in that case was an eejit, & if i were the owner, i'd appeal.

All this to say, who knows? - on a given day, the outcome might be completely reversed, & U might be liable for their injuries, despite their own actions in freeing the dog from the car, & NOT phoning U. It's a toss-up.

- terry

The dog was never alone in the van, they weren’t gone long but in my eyes taking a dog in a van front seat where the windows don’t go down is outrageous!! Whether the heater was on cool or not I think this is crazy but apparently I’m the crazy one

Not really sure what the problem is, your not saying it was left alone in a car with windows up , but travels in a car with the cool air fan on, what’s so wrong with that, surely if the driver is comfortable with the cool air blowing then the dog will be too.

Your not talking dogs left in cars on hot days, that is dangerous ,

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back