The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Dogsitting!

JudyN

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
Our new neighbours are off to Australia for a month, and their dog care arrangements for their two Boston terriers fell through. So their trusty builder/roofie/brickie will be living in their summer house and looking after the two dogs while working on the house renovations (they're pretty major - they took the roof & ceiling off from over the front room and the front wall collapsed:eek:). Mr Next-Door was really worried they'd spend most of their time shut indoors, so I've offered to go and spend some quality time with them:)

They're pretty nervous, one in particular, so my plan is to sit in the garden keeping an eye on them but pretty much ignoring them, then tempting them with some occasional treats and rolling some balls for them. Any ideas for how I can convince them that I'm safe and friendly and hopefully help them relax? I don't know how dog savvy the builder is...

Apparently they don't like walks, so won't be getting any.... Now, it's not my place to comment on that, but given that I can hardly sit nice and quietly by an open front door trying to convince them that the wide outdoors isn't scary there will be big noisy men wielding big noisy tools out there, we'll be confined to the garden - and the summerhouse assuming the builder doesn't mind me in his living space.

You are exactly right. Sit quietly in the garden and ignore them, even when they come to you at first. Once they try to initiate contact, keep it brief - a glance, a word, a smile in your voice. Personally I would not engage shy dogs in play as it equals pressure, especially as there are two of them, nor would I give them treats for the same reason. It may take time, but when they choose to be near you and choose to touch you, it should be okay to stroke them, but just once and stop. They'll ask for more when they feel ready.

I was in two minds about the treats. I'm concerned that without their owners, they'll feel pretty downcast and at least treats would give them something to feel happy about. But it's probably best to let them get over their suspicions and see me as another part of the furniture, and then hopefully a source of cuddles. I'm told they are cuddle monsters with people they trust, so that will be my aim - though I'm more of a quick shoulder rub and bum scratch if requested type of girl, so I'll be taking it at their pace.

As said above, just sitting and asking nothing of them is the key, even if you just sit in garden and read a book. Trust your instincts, as Hemlock says you have been well trained already!:D

Poor little dogs - it's very kind of you to offer to spend time with them. I agree re not using treats as that puts a lot of pressure on, and may introduce an element of competition between them - same with toys.

I wouldn't ignore them either, however. Just using low-energy body language to acknowledge them - I'm guessing they will twig quite quickly that you're a dog person and I'd put money on you being good friends by the time your neighbours return! It wouldn't surprise me if they prefer your bum scratch approach rather than cuddles either...

Oh, I'll do anything to get a bit of dog action nowadays, Feverfew ;) At least I'm good at the low-energy body language... anything too excitable could send Jasper into orbit!

It might take me a while to learn to read those squished faces and almost non-existent tails though...

First session with the dogs today. I took treats just in case but you were all right - it was a bad idea:oops:

They both seemed excited to see me, with the more confident one, C, playbowing. But then they lapsed into just barking, and there was some friction between the two of them, with one having a mild go at the other as they were torn between approaching me and keeping their distance. So I sat down, ignored them and read my book.

After a while, the more nervous one, E, returned to her bed inside the house, but then C came over to me, smelt the treats in my pocket, and started mugging me. I gave him a couple of treats, then said 'all gone', but he clearly doesn't understand 'all gone'. He was happy for me to rub his ears and give him scritches, but he was still focused on my pocket. E emerged again and seemed less nervous, but given the slight friction I'd seen earlier I certainly wasn't going to win her around with treats.

So the treats will stay at home tomorrow. I might take a tennis ball to try when only one of them is with me, because I'm sure they must be bored, but I'll follow my instincts - it'll be easier to conceal than treats.

There's a busy road at the end of the garden, well hidden by a slope and lots of trees, and they still seem unsure about revving motorbikes, car horns, etc. Jasper was absolutely fine with it, but then he lived here from 7 weeks.

It'll always take a visit or 2, maybe more, to even start to work out how best to play it. With all the knowledge and experience in the world, we have to remember every single dog is different(plus this is a pair) and it's not until you meet them will you start to be able to formulate some kind of loose, very adaptable, plan... or even no plan other than going with the flow! Instincts, calmness and patience will help, all of which you have! I reckon you're going to enjoy getting to know these two and you do have a month:D

I do find it difficult to see them as 'proper dogs' though. They also seem a bit gormless, though I'm not sure if that's because of their squished-up faces, or because I don't know them yet, or because their lives consist mainly of house, garden and cuddles and they literally don't get out much.

Breakthough! :)

The past two days, both dogs have come up to me all excited, C was so lively and wriggly E couldn't get a look-in, and then she wandered off to her bed in a side room and didn't appear again. I played with C with a tennis ball, which he really enjoyed, though he was a little 'I want you to throw it but I'm not letting go'. The dogs have an 'emergency toileting area' off their side room, and a couple of times I went through there to pick up their poos - each time I walked past their bed (yes, they just have the one between themo_O) I got a lot of whale eye and lip-licking from E, so I looked away from her and made it quick.

Today, they both came up as before, and I managed to give E space by giving C my hand to sniff over one side. E then gave me a good sniff, came in close, and seemed to solicit a bum scratch. So I obliged - very soon she insisted on chest scratches and tummy rubs, and while C wandered off, she stayed glued to me for the next half-hour.

Sounds as if you have two new friends! That will be so good for their confidence. They seem to have had very limited life experience, which is a bit sad, and you have opened a couple of doors for them.

I'm wondering if I can introduce some more interest into their lives, but think the fact that C usually barrels into things so E (who is his mum) gets pushed out would make it difficult. I'd like to do some activities to get their brains ticking, but introducing treats would be tricky with two dogs, one of which is more pushy and a treat mugger. (Jasper was so treat motivated, I've never tried training without!)

Still, I'm told cuddles are what they love best in life, so at least I can supply them.

These dogs are very loved - I just don't think the owners really realise what their potential could be, and how much richer and fulfilled their lives could be. I think they'd be better able to chill if they had richer lives, too.

I think you are already giving them loads of enrichment they have never had before! It's very hard to keep schtum with the owners, and I know you will handle whatever they say when they get back with aplomb and smiling over clenched teeth, but you can always vent with us.

I'm hoping the builder is giving them lots of attention when he can, too - he was there overnight last night (staying in the summerhouse as the house is such a state) and his van's still here today. So they are hopefully getting as much attention as they would in boarding kennels. It's just a shame I can't take them for walks.

To be fair, the owners are lovely, and with the two parents and three teenagers the dogs get plenty of cuddles. I'm sure they'd also walk them regularly if the dogs enjoyed walks. But they possibly don't know the strategies for persuading them that walks aren't scary. Surprisingly, the dogs actually look fit and in good shape.

I shall expect at least a koala and a baby kangaroo in return for my services:D

:D:DThat made me laugh!:D
It is so difficult when being with other peoples dogs, you have to respect and be sensitive to their ways and work to the best of your ability with the situation as is. The dogs could of course have so much more in their lives but as you say they are well loved, fit and healthy...(even if other aspects may well be lacking). It is so rewarding when a shy or worried dog accepts you and becomes actively happy on your arrival and being offered a butt to scratch is wonderful!
Remember a month is still a fair amount of time to build your relationship and maybe add other enrichment activities to their lives. If the dogs take to it and are enjoying it, who knows what may change for them when their owners return if they can see for themselves, baby steps!:) (showing can be way more powerful than suggesting)

Yesterday E didn't even shift from her bed (which I can't see from the main room - I say main room, but it opens into the garden because of the building works) to come and see me, but that was OK. By not even popping my head round the corner to see her I was able to demonstrate that I'm not at all scary, and I was able to do some ball chucking with C. I brought a tug toy round but he doesn't seem to understand the game. He chases balls but doesn't retrieve them. Jasper, like a typical sighthound, wasn't one for bringing balls back either so that was fine by me.

Today E wanted rubs and scratches again so I did that while trying to keep C from barging in too much. I'm wondering if she's coming into season - C kept licking her lady bits, which did weird me out a bit seeing as she's his mum. They did look quite prominent, too, though I'm really not that familiar with dogs' lady bits and they're usually covered by a tail. I'm pretty sure she's unneutered, though C is (which is just as well really!). Any info on anything I need to watch out for if she is coming into season would be appreciated - I know C could potentially tie and do damage, so I'll be watching out for any attempts to mount her. She was sort of straddling my leg at one point, but given the state of the room I get filthy anyway so I don't need to worry about any nasty stains on my jeans!

Sounds likely that she is coming into season. (I can't tell you how many house/dog sits I did in the past where bitches came into season more or less as the aircraft took off for the householders' holiday!). You know the risks of the tie, but I assume this has happened before with previous seasons (animals don't care about incest). Nothing to worry about except that.

Jeans are so good for these situations, aren't they?

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back