The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Dogsitting!

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
I’m sure that you have a book or a film downloaded onto an iPad - an ideal self indulgence with no pangs of guilt. Just enjoy yourself in the garden and let them come to you as and when. That’s what I’m doing on Saturday for a neighbour - French windows open onto the garden so their rescue can run in and out and some Jacques Tati stuff for self indulgence. Pure magic.

I take my Kindle with me, RCG - perfect if I'm petting E, not quite so workable if I'm throwing balls for C.

I'm not so concerned about their wellbeing now - the builder who is staying there mentioned that C doesn't bring balls back, and another builder told me that E was nervous with him the first couple of days and then was fine. And today, my services weren't required as a relation had taken them out for a walk. Whether they enjoyed the walk is another matter - I hope so!

Yup, she's definitely in season, and very needy! It's not easy throwing a ball for one dog when you have another glued to your leg like your 4-year-old on their first day at school:D

I did my last dogsitting stint today - we're away for the weekend, and the owners come back on Monday (staying with family until at least the ground floor is habitable).

I can't say I worked out any enrichment activities - all C wants to do is chase balls, which he doesn't bring back, and all E wants is cuddles and scritches. It's not possible to keep both happy at the same time! If I could use treats I'd have come up with plenty of ideas, but it really wouldn't work without shutting one of them away. And I might still find it hard work - Jasper had way more brains than the two of them put together!

I might be helping out with a bit more dog care...

DS2's in-laws have an elderly cockapoo, P. FIL wanted to get another dog after P has gone, but MIL was adamant she didn't - FIL works long days and often is away for several days, so she would have to do all the walking, etc., and she also looks after GD a couple of days a week. Though it seems a friend of a relation needed to rehome their 3-year-old cockapoo, and... whoops!

I can't imagine how anyone can manage two dogs and a lively toddler. MIL's parents do look after P on occasion, but they're getting older. So I've suggested that we get the new dog, K, used to me, so I can look after/walk him on occasion. It should make life a lot easier for her and give her more freedom, particularly after P is gone, and I'd love to have a bit more doggy contact. I've not met him yet, and won't for a bit as MIL has covid, but we're planning on meeting up for a walk soon as a first step.

I met K (actually a cavapoo, not a cockapoo, though fairly large so the poo was probably a standard poo...) today, and he is a little sweetie. Very easygoing, with excellent recall, though pretty much untrained. We walked to the woods with DIL's mum's older dog, and stopped at a cafe on the way back, where the dogs were well behaved :)

Oh, but I do want to train him up! He's walked on a flexi lead, and I can't get the hang of them, so I'm going to dig out Jasper's old lead. He pulls, and I'd love to work on that, and occasionally jumps up. I need to remind myself that he's not my dog though. I sort of have an expectation that he'll respond to things like Jasper did (hence my reluctance to grab his collar when cyclists approach!). But then again I do that with GD too - she stood up in her high chair the other day and I raised my index finger and said 'Wait!' then wondered why it didn't work:oops:

He needs to settle in and feel safe in his new home first of course. He's very attached to DIL's mum, which is why I think his recall is so good, but has been passed from pillar to post in the past so now he needs some stability.

He sounds lovely, I'm sure you'll enjoy his company. I meet so many lovely Poodle crosses, they are often such sweet dogs. Mind you, it's always wonderful to meet a purebred Poodle too, what super clever dogs they are!

Yes, I'm rather partial to a Standard Poodle. Jasper really wasn't keen - I reckon because of that 'Look at meeeee, aren't I fab-u-lous, darling' vibe they give off.

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back