The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Drinking Water

jnjsse

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
hello, not really a new thing but charlies never seemed to drink much water causing his pee to become really yellow, noticed its got darker since the weathers warmin up again, does anybody know of a a way to get him to drink? he's healthy other than that an appetite is good,

thanks!

jnjsse said:
hello, not really a new thing but charlies never seemed to drink much water causing his pee to become really yellow, noticed its got darker since the weathers warmin up again, does anybody know of a a way to get him to drink? he's healthy other than that an appetite is good, thanks!

No answers, just to say Muffin is the same. He hardly ever seems to drink even after we've come back from a walk! :- " I worry a bit too, but like Charlie, he seems healthy and eats well. I'll be interested to hear what people have to say in reply to your post. :cheers:

if hes reluctant to actually drink, it might be an idea to give him food with a high water content? amber isnt keen on water, but loves milk (might not be ideal in your case, as many dogs are lactose intolerant) and loves rice. she also adores sardines in tomato sauce, which provides omega 3 as well as liquid from the sauce.

good luck :luck:

One of my lot drinks very little (rain or shine), but at nearly 11 years old theres been no lasting damage :sweating: :thumbsup: .......As long as hes healthy he'll be fine .......but as lalena said you could try "adding" watery things to his diet to up his intake :)

Last edited by a moderator:
jnjsse said:
hello, not really a new thing but charlies never seemed to drink much water causing his pee to become really yellow, noticed its got darker since the weathers warmin up again, does anybody know of a a way to get him to drink? he's healthy other than that an appetite is good, thanks!

Does he like milk, now i know we arent supposed to give em milk, but my dog is reluctant to drinking water, even when we have been out and her tongue is hanging out gagging, so down goes a bowl of water, but oh no, but let me colour it with a dash of milk, and the lots gone

keith

forgot about the water coloring trick with milk! will do it this eve, we're goin down the beach an fields this eve, so should get thirsty!

I have one that drinks very little water but does not seem to suffer in any shape or form. The other is no problem and loves tea, even if he has to steal it from our cup. (w00t)

Have you tried filtering the water first?

We're on a private water supply here, which is water straight from the mountains without all the chlorine & nasty substances the council's like to add to water.

My dogs love the water now :D

I boil a chicken with water & put in lot's of veggies which I add to their dinner so I suppose you could try that if you're worried :thumbsup:

out on walks 2nite an noticed he drank fair amount rain water, we drink bottled indoors so will try that! thanks for the replies!

midlanderkeith said:
jnjsse said:

Does he like milk, now i know we arent supposed to give em milk, but my dog is reluctant to drinking water, even when we have been out and her tongue is hanging out gagging, so down goes a bowl of water, but oh no, but let me colour it with a dash of milk, and the lots gone

keith

Since when ? Mine have 2 pints of milk between them everymorning . all my dogs have done ,Dont let me hav to tel Mayzee and co they cant have milk :eek: I think they would all back their bags and leave home :wacko: :lol:

When I worked in GH racing kennels all 180+ dogs had milk and raw eggs for brekky :- "

add water to his food if thats suitable...

i wouldnt give tea, as it probably dehydrates them more than hydrates...

he drinks tea and coffee when he can steal it! not keen on giving him anything with caffeine anyway, hectic enough sometimes! he drinks rain water well enough and theres loads of puddles around at the mo!

JAX said:
midlanderkeith said:
jnjsse said:

keith

Since when ? Mine have 2 pints of milk between them everymorning . all my dogs have done ,Dont let me hav to tel Mayzee and co they cant have milk :eek: I think they would all back their bags and leave home :wacko: :lol:

When I worked in GH racing kennels all 180+ dogs had milk and raw eggs for brekky :- "

Maybe im wrong Jax, perhaps someone more clued up on the subject may come along and answer you, but im sure ive read somewhere, that dogs cant digest milk properly, i dunno, one thing i do know is my dog would drink gallons of it if i let her

keith

its because of the sugar, lactose, in milk. dogs cannot digest sugar. many dogs get the squits etc when they eat dairy products, but have to say mine have never reacted to milk. if i stopped giving them it, i'd be abandoned :lol:

lalena said:
its because of the sugar, lactose, in milk. dogs cannot digest sugar. many dogs get the squits etc when they eat dairy products, but have to say mine have never reacted to milk. if i stopped giving them it, i'd be abandoned  :lol:
Ok thanks for that, so i might as well let my dogs have a bowl full occassionally

I am sure there are some dogs, which are lactose intolerant; I have not met one as yet. The fact is that milk is a baby food, when dog (or human, or any other mammal) is past the baby age milk is not necessary. BUT I can think of several worse foodstuffs that our dogs and we eat. When I lived on acreage I had 2 milking goats, which meant gallons of milk a day. I made cheese and yogurt and my daughter drunk several pints a day. The dogs had the rest, and also the whey left over from making cheese. If bit of milk in the water will make your dog drink more, go for it. But remember it is the water you want him to drink, giving pure milk would not hydrate him quite so much.

If you really worry, you can squirt some water down his throat with a syringe.

JAX said:
midlanderkeith said:
jnjsse said:

keith

I was told that cows milk was bad for them too but that was after a a year of giving them it every morning on their weetabix/rice crispies :b :oops: anyway it wasn't doing mine any harm so I carried on, I use semi skimmed milk anyway so I suppose it's half water, they didn't get upset tummies or the runs so I'm with you really Jax if it it ain't broke don't fix it my dogs are healthy and happy so it must be ok and it's a bit late in the day anyway a year on :oops:

When they first come to live with me I give them goats milk for a while just because it's been recommended :thumbsup:

Last edited by a moderator:
isnt the amount they drink the same as us people ie

Some drink loads, like my daughter(9) and some like my son hates it

Surely they dogs will drink what is suitable to them, i cant imagine they would cause themselves damage??

Am i wrong :b

thanks for all ure replies! will try coloring it when i dont think he's gettin enough, but they've been goin down the beach every eve along with road work so they're drinkin a fair bit, dont think it'll ever get to the point of me havin to syringe down his throat, he's sulk for days!

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back