The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Drug Testing Any Ideas

Karen-Coral is correct in that random drug testing through out the year is far more efficient at detecting cheats. In athletics the IOC can test athletes at any time, even during training, since drug use can be tapered off for events where testing takes place but the benefits of drug use are still present.

If we did employ a proffesional with knowledge of the topic it would be done differently to how it is done at present. The problem is cost; A screen test with confirmatary analysis runs at £1500; A vet is likely to charge minimium £100 per hour for say 2hrs. BWRA turnover is approx £12000 so we won't be able to catch many cheats before the BWRA runs out of money. If they can't catch 5 cheats in the first year they are really not trying. There is circumstantial, hearsy and anecdotal evidence that points to certain racers cheating consistantly - the same names crop up from different sources time and time again. I'll guess that many of those who have raced for a few years "know" who these people are.

Testing random racers is a waste of resources. Testing should be targeted at those who are beleived to be cheating. Perhaps racers could be given a vote at races where testing is to occur - everyone racing gets a chance to name a dog they want testing and the dog/dogs with the most votes gets tested. If the results of the poll are made public the cheats might realise that racers are onto them.

What cheats think they are gaining is beyond me. Only newbies or the terminally stupid don't realise what they are upto and are impressed with their "success" everyone else thinks they are pathetic scum.

A proposal went out this year concerning the testing and the members have shown that they want it to continue so we will have to abide by that decision for the next 2yrs as a proposal to only have proposal every two years was also passed.
If racers were aware that there was no vet confirmed to take the samples when they voted then i suppose we have no choice but to carry on for another 2 years, if a vet cannot be sought would a postal vote then go out to see if people still wanted it to continue if it meant other sources taking & handling the samples?

Testing random racers is a waste of resources. Testing should be targeted at those who are beleived to be cheating. Perhaps racers could be given a vote at races where testing is to occur - everyone racing gets a chance to name a dog they want testing and the dog/dogs with the most votes gets tested. If the results of the poll are made public the cheats might realise that racers are onto them.
Now that'd be interesting

What cheats think they are gaining is beyond me. Only newbies or the terminally stupid don't realise what they are upto and are impressed with their "success" everyone else thinks they are pathetic scum.
Thats the bit i don't understand, how can any normal person brag about a dog who's performance was through cheating? How sad do you have to be?

Last edited by a moderator:
what was voted on was for those who were proved to be over the set limit should have to pay for the cost of the test before they would be allowed to rejoin. The cost of this test for the breakdown analysis is said to be around £800 so if those failing the test don,t pay (can,t see the cheats paying out can you )where is this money going to come from.I KEEP ASKING THIS QUESTION I ASKED IT AT THE A.G.M. have,nt had an answer yet. surely the committee must have thought this through, the financial implications of the drug testing are likely to bankrupt the organisation,

If testing is to continue it has to be done correctly it needs to be financed before it is done, either an increase in entry fees or membership subscriptions, I would say memberships personally, if we are lucky enough to recoup any of the money back from any offending members then it could be given back to members by reducing subs; the following year. I CAN,T SEE ANY WAY ROUND THE WHOLE ISSUE OF DRUG TESTING i.e.PROCEDURES AND FINANCING OTHE THAN BALLOTTING THE MEMBERS.

THERE ISN,T ONE DRUGS WILL ALTER THE CHEMICAL BALANCE OF THE BRAIN WHICH CAN EFFECT ITS PERFORMANCE i.e A BIT MORE AGGRESSION ,MORE ALERT WHICH WILL ENHANCE ITS NATURAL ABILITY AS WE ALL KNOW A STRAIGHT CAN BE LOST AT THE TRAPS.

NEILPEM said:
tell me a drug that makes em run faster :(
nandrolone - proven, cheap, easily obtained, easy to administer, not tested for in the core screen.

its getting silly now I think its time this topic closed lets hope the organisers have gained something useful from the sensible comments

Agree with Karen i do believe drug testing should be done randomly at opens throughout the country and not just at major events, as Ive raced my dogs over the years at opens and been well hammered then gone to championships where testings been done and beat the dogs comfortable thats beaten me all year.

DENISE BAILEY said:
Agree with Karen i do believe drug testing should be done randomly at opens throughout the country and not just at major events, as Ive raced my dogs over the years at opens and been well hammered then gone to championships where testings been done and beat the dogs comfortable thats beaten me all year.
Thats another thing that gets me, you see results all year round & hear of dogs that are absolutely on fire one week then you go to champs expecting to see this flying machine & it can't even get through it's heat.

Got to agree with that but don't forget some dogs don't like scratch boxes etc.

:D

SURLY MOST DOGS ARE USED TO DIFFRENT TRAPS AS MOST WHIPPETS ARE WELL TRAVELED AND RAN AT DIFFRENT TRACKS WITH DIFFRENT EQUIPMENT ALL THE TIME

i dont think any drug can make a donkey run any faster ,i also thinkits time to put all the crap thats gone on in the past few years behind us and start a fresh and get back to enjoying the sport with the sportsmanship back in racing as it used to be good luck to everyone for 2005 :cheers: :cheers:

Yes Vicky i agree how is it that some dogs are consistant all year then dogs they have been leaving in thier wake suddenly find yards and simply flyand they dont even get through thier heats ? two ways of looking at this.

1/ the dogs that are running well all the time are on something all the time///

2 its the ones that just can produce it at the championships that are on something.

Bitches we know are very different with the seasons dictating much of thier performances and ability.

Now i am not a detective nor is my brain defective i know which i beleive to be the truth and it aint the 2 way take that how you will thats my opinion and wont be altered by any one elses.

I know that they get horses ready for one race but they have jockeys onboard who can and do dictate how the horse runs quite diferent to dogs ./

steve

I HAVE RACED WHIPPETS FOR 30 YEARS AND I HAVE NEVER SEEN IT IN SUCH A STATE AS IT IS NOW . AS TO DRUG TESTING IT WOULD ONLY WORK IN AN IDEAL WORLD WHERE ALL DOGS ARE TESTED IN OPENS AND CLUB RACING . SO AS THIS WOULD NOT BE PRACTICABLE IN MY OPINION IT IS A WASTE OF TIME . THE SPORT WE ARE IN IS A AMATURE SPORT AND SHOULD BE TREATED AS SO NOBODY IS GOING TO MAKE A FORTUNE OUT OF RACING A WHIPPET . I HAVE NO DOUBT THAT SOME PEOPLE WILL CHEAT ITS HUMAN NATURE BUT YOU CAN NEVER CONSTANTLY DRUG A DOG TO BEAT ONE THAT HAS NATURAL ABILITY .GOOD PEOPLE HAVE BEEN LOST TO RACING THAT LOVED THEIR DOGS AND RACING PEOPLE WE CANNOT AFFORD TO LOOSE. I PERSONALLY HAVE LOST RACES TO BENT LINE JUDGES WE DONT TALK ABOUT HAVING DRUG TESTS FOR LINE JUDGES OR TRAP MEN OR LURE MEN AND I AM QUITE SURE I HAVE LOST MORE RACES TO THESE PEOPLE THAN DRUGED DOGS I ONCE LOST A TWO DOG RACE AFTER ASKING THE CLARKE OF THE COURSE THE COLOUR MY DOG WAS IN AND WAS TOLD THE RED AFTER I WON THE RACE I WAS DISQUALIFIED FOR HAVING THE WRONG COLOUR ON . WE HAVE ALL HAD BAD DECSIONS AND HAD TO LIVE WITH THEM . SO LETS STOP THE WHITCH HUNT AND GET BACK TO WHERE WE WERE 30 YEARS AGO .

Yes it is an amateur sport Meatloaf-a mere hobby-doesn't that just pi-- you off more when folk cheat-All our dogs have a very limited racing life and that to me means every race counts-

Your points on judges-lure men and trap men are spot on and I'm sure most have experienced such injustices during racing-I know we have.

Karen Boyd

P.S-Steve too- is signing under my name at the mo-due to hacker problems.

IF YOU CANT AFFORD TO HAVE TESTING DONE CORRECTLY,THEN WHY DO IT AT ALL,I SAY STOP TESTING AND START HAVING FUN AGAIN. :(

what do you think the outcome of a ballot would be if the members had all the info i.e. how much its going to cost per member per year if the testing is done correctly, just going from the posts on here its,

3 for testing

9 against

HARD TO SAY WHAT THE OUTCOME WOULD BE, AS IVE HEARD SOME MANY PEOPLE OVER THE PAST FEW YEARS THAT DON'T HAVE A CLUE WHAT DRUG TESTING ENTAILS EG DRUGS LEVELS LABS

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back