Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

llannon

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
Hi, i'm hoping i can pick a few brains and get some advice on changing Dylan's diet. I have decided to do this as he has been on Burns Lamb & Rice, but he could do with putting on a little more weight and he seems to have a slight dandruff problem.

The vet has checked him over, and gave him the all clear, but advised adding various oils to his Burns.

I feel a better approach for him is to change his diet, as he doesnt always eat all his Burns.

I went to our local PAH, and ended up choosing the natures menu pouches. He seems to like them a lot more than just the Burns...so they get his approval!

I have introduced them slowly over the week. adding more to his Burns and reducing the biscuit slightly.

He is now having half a pouch and a good handful of Burns twice a day. I would try totally stopping the Burns and giving him just the pouches...but I reckon he would eat 2 a day...which I cant afford!...therefore should I keep mixing in the Burns or change to a mixer?

Dylan is 13 months old...sorry for the waffling...Cheers Matt

Dylan2.jpg

llannon said:
Hi, i'm hoping i can pick a few brains and get some advice on changing Dylan's diet. I have decided to do this as he has been on Burns Lamb & Rice, but he could do with putting on a little more weight and he seems to have a slight dandruff problem.
The vet has checked him over, and gave him the all clear, but advised adding various oils to his Burns.

I feel a better approach for him is to change his diet, as he doesnt always eat all his Burns.

I went to our local PAH, and ended up choosing the natures menu pouches. He seems to like them a lot more than just the Burns...so they get his approval!

I have introduced them slowly over the week. adding more to his Burns and reducing the biscuit slightly.

He is now having half a pouch and a good handful of Burns twice a day. I would try totally stopping the Burns and giving him just the pouches...but I reckon he would eat 2 a day...which I cant afford!...therefore should I keep mixing in the Burns or change to a mixer?

Hi, go get some mince from the supermarket, freeze then defrost naturally, mix in some pasta and or boiled rice, try giving sardines in oil or tomato sauce again with pasta or rice, if you must give a complete, then give complete with nothing added as for dandruff, cod liver oil tablets one every other day, or linseed oil tablets

hope ive helped

:luck:

keith

midlanderkeith said:
llannon said:

Hi, go get some mince from the supermarket, freeze then defrost naturally, mix in some pasta and or boiled rice, try giving sardines in oil or tomato sauce again with pasta or rice, if you must give a complete, then give complete with nothing added as for dandruff, cod liver oil tablets one every other day, or linseed oil tablets

hope ive helped

:luck:

keith

oh and tripe they love that, i sometimes use the freeflow stuff from pets at home give it a good boiling first :lol: no you musnt only joking a good quality mixer. juicy knuckle bones from the butcher, get some good fresh meat into her, god im bloody famished myself now, bugger it im gonna boil up some tripe

goodnight

keith :cheers:

Thanks for the advice, the pouches seem to be quite good in terms of meat content etc. and unfortunately we are not in a position to prepare fresh food everyday due to lack of freezer space etc...

I would like to feed the natures menu, or an equivalent, but cannot afford 2 pouches a day. Therefore I was really hoping someone could advise an appropriate mixer to go with the pouch.

I could carry-on adding the Burns, but I thought 2 complete style diets would be a bad thing. But would this also mean adding something to the pouch is a bad idea???

I am trying to do what is right by my dog, but am on a tight budget and also have limited cold storage space.

Thanks for the help/advice

try arden grange my girl is allergic to wheat gluten and wouldnt put on any weight so i used the puppy and she now looks great also you wont use half as much hope this helps :thumbsup:

affieluver said:
try arden grange my girl is allergic to wheat gluten and wouldnt put on any weight so i used the puppy and she now looks great also you wont use half as much hope this helps :thumbsup:
Arden Ganeg is great - Murphy has a mixture of Arden Grange and Natures Diet so it doesn't get too expensive - one meal a day of each.

llannon said:
Thanks for the advice, the pouches seem to be quite good in terms of meat content etc. and unfortunately we are not in a position to prepare fresh food everyday due to lack of freezer space etc...
I would like to feed the natures menu, or an equivalent, but cannot afford 2 pouches a day. Therefore I was really hoping someone could advise an appropriate mixer to go with the pouch.

I could carry-on adding the Burns, but I thought 2 complete style diets would be a bad thing. But would this also mean adding something to the pouch is a bad idea???

I am trying to do what is right by my dog, but am on a tight budget and also have limited cold storage space.

Thanks for the help/advice

The nature's menu pouches are a complete food and so should not have anything mixed with them.

I think the advice that you were given about the mince and fish is a good idea. Preparing fresh food does not really take that much longer than what you are already doing and seeing a dog lick its bowl out is very satisfying. :D

Cheaper way of solving dandruff is a slosh of cod liver oil in theier bowl once or twice a week - my two love it!!

Rather than the pouches (which are extremely expensive whichever brand you buy) why not try tinned Butchers Tripe (they do lots of flavours and different varieties plus you can buy it in any supermarket) or Naturediet or Wainwrights equivalent or Forthglade Menu or even good old tinned Chappie. With any of these products just give with a handful of mixer twice a day and you shouldn't need to add anything else in the way of supplements.

Hi there i had the same problem with my whippet Finbarr i was feeding him the burns but he did'nt seem to have much stamina and he looked a bit skinny so i have now changed him over to Arden Grange Premiere and hey presto!!! hes flying!!!

Natures Menu is ok but i don't think its a good constant food, now and then is ok

you should not mix a complete food with anything else!! the most i will do is if Finbarr decides he does'nt want his Arden G i just grate a small amount of cheese on the top and he eats the lot!

Finbarr does get cooked meat,rice and veg in the evenings and a good thing for putting on weight is a bit of black pudding lightly cooked

as far as coat goes the cod liver oil is a great idea just mix in with food now and then :))

hope all improves as Dylan is a beautiful boy :))

Thanks for the replies...

If I try him on the Arden Grange, how do I slowly change his diet, as at the minute he is having half a pouch of Natures Menu and a good handful of Burns twice a day.

Should I phase out the Burns, then add the Arden Grange...or stop the Natures Menu first???? I'm assuming I cant continue with the Natures Menu in any of these combinations as its a complete food?

I only really went with the Natures Menu as the pouches can be stored under the stairs and the sales guy at PAH told me it was one of their 'premium' products.

On the cod liver oil front...where is the best place to buy this? do I just empty a 'human' capsule on the food? or is there a dog version???

Sorry for all the questions.

Help please....Thanks very much!

You can buy cod liver oil from any supermaket. I buy it in a bottle so I can just glug it onto the food - I got a bottle from tesco today - £1.77 and that will last a couple of months. Just have a look by the vitamin section and you will find it.

llannon said:
If I try him on the Arden Grange, how do I slowly change his diet, as at the minute he is having half a pouch of Natures Menu and a good handful of Burns twice a day.

Should I phase out the Burns, then add the Arden Grange...or stop the Natures Menu first???? I'm assuming I cant continue with the Natures Menu in any of these combinations as its a complete food?

I only really went with the Natures Menu as the pouches can be stored under the stairs and the sales guy at PAH told me it was one of their 'premium' products.

On the cod liver oil front...where is the best place to buy this? do I just empty a 'human' capsule on the food? or is there a dog version???

Don't be sorry!! thats what this site is all about helping each other :)) i know every one says phase out the old food slowly but i have to be honest i just gave Finn the Arden G instead of the Burns and he had no difficulty changing over or maybe give some Burns or Natures menu (not together) in the morning and Arden later on

llannon said:

Cod liver oil can be bought for dogs at Pet at Home in a liquid formula.  Dorwest Herbs also sell capsules.  Evening primrose oil is also very good.

As far as the dry food is concerned why not try a sample sized bag to see if you both like it first.  I would use the packets up and then mix whatever you decide with the Burns.  Burns sent my blue a bit scurfy too.

Just another thought if you give him a really good brush as well this will encourage natural oil production and also bring out any dead hair etc.

Hope this helps. :D

Is Arden Grange seen to be a better dry complete diet over Burns?

I originally started him on the Burns as they are a local company and he seemed to enjoy it. He first had the puppy bites, then went onto the adult chicken. The chicken Burns seemed to make him very smelly, so after trying a few sample packs, the Lamb & Rice seemed to suit him best at the time.

I thought changing him onto something else would be a good thing...to help put on a bit of weight and hopefully stop his slight dandruff problem.

I have been reading this forum for a while, but don't often post...so I appologise for repeating myself and asking the same style of questions.

I have started reading up on Arden Grange...and noticed the protein content is higher than Burns...is this recommended as I seem to remeber reading on here that whippets were better on a lower protein diet?

I wonder sometimes if I think too much and should have just got him some pedigree chum & mixer....i've tried researching all this sort of thing, and trying to fit it into my budget, time & space available etc....but just seem to end up confusing myself even more...I'll go now as i've started the waffling thing...lol

Cheers everyone for the advice

If your whippie runs about a lot he probably needs the higher protien in the Arden Grange. I gave up with the Burns for the same reason and now feed Eukanuba lamb & rice which is 24% and the dogs are fine.

The people at Arden Grange will answer any quiries you may have and tell you the best way to change foods.

sometimes the foods like these seem more expensive but often the amount you use is less so the price works out the same. :thumbsup:

Happy Humber said:
If your whippie runs about a lot he probably needs the higher protien in the Arden Grange. I gave up with the Burns for the same reason and now feed Eukanuba lamb & rice which is 24% and the dogs are fine.The people at Arden Grange will answer any quiries you may have and tell you the best way to change foods.

sometimes the foods like these seem more expensive but often the amount you use is less so the price works out the same. :thumbsup:

Hi, do you mean you gave up Burns as you wanted to put on extra weight or due to the dandruff problem?

I did try initally giving him slightly bigger feeds of Burns, but he refused to eat the extra...lol

I'm torn on what is best to try at the minute...Arden Grange or look into the Eukanuba that you've mentioned.

So many choices...maybe I should give Dylan the menu...lol

llannon said:
Happy Humber said:
If your whippie runs about a lot he probably needs the higher protien in the Arden Grange. I gave up with the Burns for the same reason and now feed Eukanuba lamb & rice which is 24% and the dogs are fine.The people at Arden Grange will answer any quiries you may have and tell you the best way to change foods.

Hi, do you mean you gave up Burns as you wanted to put on extra weight or due to the dandruff problem?

I did try initally giving him slightly bigger feeds of Burns, but he refused to eat the extra...lol

I'm torn on what is best to try at the minute...Arden Grange or look into the Eukanuba that you've mentioned.

So many choices...maybe I should give Dylan the menu...lol

Matt, try giving him slightly bigger feeds of fresh meat, he wont refuse that, tomorrow open a tin of sardines, 19p from morrissons, with that mix in some pasta, same again about 19p, boiled rice, a good mixer, put that down, and watch him wallop it, mince, from the supermarket as i have already mentioned, with some veggies, ie carrots, cabbage, cauli, i used to feed my dog on complete, and lots of folk do, but ive seen the difference in my dogs well being since feeding her meat, ask away, folks are here to help :luck:

keith

Thanks....a bit more thinking and reading to do on my part before I decide.

It's interesting that PAH recommend a product, and no-one on here recommends it...would this indicate a hole in the market or are these forums read more by whippet owners who feed BARF???

I thought I'd add the Poll, to see what the split is on people feeding dry complete brands to their whippets...might be interesting.

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back