The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Elderly Whippet

colliecrew

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
This was Eddie when he came into rescue
Eddiefirstpic.jpg

Apparently he's quite elderly, and the poor chap had kennel cough, a secondary infection and mange when he was taken out of the pound.

He's a lot better now, as you can see
weeeeemail.jpg
and provided he and Willow hit it off, then after a 12 hour round trip (cos he's in Durham and I'm near Yeovil in Somerset!) he'll be coming home with us :wub:

Now, I've never had an elderly whippet before, although I have had elderly collies so am reasonably aware of general aging problems.

I was just wondering though whether I need to be aware of anything specific to aging whippets - especially one whose had at least one terrible period of neglect? Should I be feeding him any joint supplements for instance such as Cortaflex? Any particular food that seems to help or hinder them?

I'm probably worrying too much as he is apparently quite healthy at the moment, but I feel that if I'm taking this lad on then I need to do the best I can for him, so any thoughts gratefully accepted. :)

sad-smiley-021.gif
OMG,Poor Eddie :wub:I Wish I could personally murder whoever did that to him!!! :rant: :rant: :rant:

How wonderful of you to re-home him,he's gorgeous :thumbsup:

I would give him Glucosamine & get him a bioflow collar and feed him on a natural diet,i.e.raw tripe,veggies & a good quality plain biscuit,or nature diet or Burns.I would also feed him 3/4 small meals a day so you're not overfilling his tummy too much.

I would also get him a nice cosy coat so he doesn't get chilled when he goes out.

Also,get him a nice soft squidgy bed & put vet bed on top,this will help prevent his joints from getting sore.

I wish you all the best with him & please keep us updated with plenty of pics!!

Oh God I don't know what to say!!

Poor, poor Eddie.

How LUCKY he is to have been found, and to have the prospect of a loving home with you, Colliecrew. It brings tears to my eyes just to think of how he came to be in such a state. I've got no advice, but as Alfyn says please please let us have lots of pictures of him when he's with you so that that horrible first picture can be erased from our minds!! :'(

Helen x

may you have many years together. He looks a lovely chap.

:D Got my fingers crossed everything goes fine for you and Eddie :luck:

He looks like he's finally found a good home, that first pic is so disturbing, how can anyone do that to an animal. I was walking in the woods yesterday with my two and came across a lady with an elderly whippet cross, of course mine wanted to play (w00t) but she said he was a bit nervous as he was a rescue dog and when he came in all his ribs were broken, I could have cried if my 6 year old son hadn't been stood next to me. He was such a lovely dog too.

Good luck with eddie :luck: :luck:

What a state he was in - now instead of fox hunting how about chasing the person that did that to Eddie across fields and let the dogs get their own back :angry:

Hope Eddie & Willow get on well together :)

Would second what Alfynn suggested and get him a bioflow collar (PM me if you are having trouble sourcing one cos my dog trainer sells them)

Let us know how you get on :luck:

We drive from Taunton (now home) to Newcastle (birth place) regularly and it's quite a trip!!! Get some DAp spray for the car to settle them on the journey home, it's been fantastic to settle Leia in the car.

Well done..he looks a super dog, i bet he is quite a character. A couple of wheat bags under his blanket will help with creaking joints, you could also try pet vites (from Holland and Barret) just to charge his system up, also live yogart and honey.

Paul

Lucky Eddie!! I second all the advice Alfynn gave.

Poor eddie :'(

Glad to see he's looking much better and I hope he will have many happy years with you and Willlow. Please keep us updated.

Jac

Thank you all so much for your replies, they're much appreciated. :) You will probably all be sick of pictures by the time I've finished! :D

I've taken on board all the suggestions, and hopefully we'll make his days with us very happy and comfortable. Willow is about 8 or 9, so with luck she'll put a sparkle back in the old fella's eye!

I've got squidgy beds and some vet bed, also a couple of coats that might fit until I can measure him and get him a couple of his own. (Willow has just got a nice little polo neck number in turquoise, with a tummy flap too!)

I've got a raised feeder, and I've got some Cortaflex which has the glucosamine and chondroitin mix in it, and I usually feed JWB and Naturediet, as well as home cooked food so hopefully we'll be ok with that.

I'd not thought about a Bioflow collar for a whippet, although Dixie had one! Will do that, thanks for the advice.

Are the H & B petvites different to something such as SA-37, or Missing Link?

The wheat bags, are these the ones you can zap in the microwave and hold the heat?

And Dap spray, yep, will do that too, I've just rung my vets and they've got a supply of it in, so will shoot off there soon!

Thanks to all of you once again, and fingers crossed for Saturday/Sunday! Personally I am tearing my hair out with having to wait till then, I want to go and see him [SIZE=21pt]NOW!![/SIZE]

But them I'm impatient like that :lol:

colliecrew said:
Thanks to all of you once again, and fingers crossed for Saturday/Sunday! Personally I am tearing my hair out with having to wait till then, I want to go and see him [SIZE=21pt]NOW!![/SIZE]
But them I'm impatient like that  :lol:
LOL!! I can sympathise Ann, I can do impatient all the time!!!

My OH's standard reply to me about anything is "Well, you will just have to be patient, won't you"

colliecrew said:
Willow has just got a nice little polo neck number in turquoise, with a tummy flap too!
I've just picked up on this little snippet. Where did you get this gorgous sounding little number from please???

colliecrew said:
Are the H & B petvites different to something such as SA-37, or Missing Link?
If you want a multi-vitamin type supplement you are best to give pure Kelp seaweed, as this contains 37 natural minerals and trace elements. Being natural it is much better absorbed than the synthetic versions - SA37 etc.

However if you are already feeding James Wellbeloved & Nature diet these I believe have added vitamins and minerals so you may risk overdoing it - don't forget too much is as bad as too little.

Good luck with Eddie - he looks an absolute sweetie, I am sure Willow will be the apple of his eye in no time ;) :p

He looks like a real happy chap. I love his smilie face in the second photo. The one consistent thing with whippets is the sheer joy in their faces when they are happy. It is not some-thing I have ever been that aware of in other breeds, and Eddie certainly looks full of it.

Wish you well with him :luck:

good luck this weekend i hope it all works out he looks to be full f life and enegry now I thought we were mad doing a 320 milo round trip for our new girl to Durham but your daffetr that us :D > but all the travaling will be worth it i am sure

wendy

fallenangel said:
good luck this weekend i hope it all works out he looks to be full f life and enegry now I thought we were mad doing a 320 milo round trip for our new girl to Durham but your daffetr that us :D > but all the travaling will be worth it i am sure              wendy
lol we should all have a competition to see who went the furthest to get their dog. Didn't someone go to France recently?? Made my 450-odd mile trek seem like a breeze.

dessie said:
colliecrew said:
Willow has just got a nice little polo neck number in turquoise, with a tummy flap too!
I've just picked up on this little snippet. Where did you get this gorgous sounding little number from please???
Hi Dessie

a lady called Anna Revitt makes them, she does rather gorgeous collars too! :thumbsup:

If you would like her contact details she's happy for them to be posted, here y'go.... annarevitt293@hotmail.com or pm me for her phone number :) I'll try and post a pic later if Wills will consent to pose!

bless you for giving this poor old fella a good home for the rest of his life. :thumbsup: i curse the person responsible for letting him get in such a state. :rant:

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back