The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Farmers Rights On Shooting Dogs

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
So sorry Eskview, that you've lost your beautiful dogs in such a terrible way.

My best wishes are with you and your family, it must be devastating for you all.

I sincerely hope you get justice done for the dogs. That man should not be in ownership of any guns, he sounds very dangerous.

Hi all & thks for viewing an signing guest book, had so much responce i have used up all my bandwith an the site is temoraly frozen,I have elected for sponsorship by receiving ads so as to get the site back up an running,please keep visiting & signing the guest book if you dont wish to do the poll on the last page,regards Dave & Paula

http://www.freewebs.com/indca is the site please visit & show your support Regards Dave & Paula

Hi I have informed the fire arms officer he said he is aware of it an is leaving it for the local bobby to deal with it, their is past history an issues with myself & the local bobby I am concerned he isnt investigating it thoroughly, I have tried contacting the chief constable, soon as myself or my wife mention what its about we are put on hold for a few mins then the phone goes dead ( cut off ), we have tried seeking legal advice locally none of the solicitors will take the case on, its hand in hand rnd here they are all in it 2getha I know that seems a paranoid thing to say but a local solicitor agreed with us an said it was so & his hands were tied he couldnt help, can any one advise us please on how to deal with the situation & the police negligence & legal advice regards Dave & Paula & family

eskview said:
Hi I have informed the fire arms officer he said he is aware of it an is leaving it for the local bobby to deal with it, their is past history an issues with myself & the local bobby I am concerned he isnt investigating it thoroughly, I have tried contacting the chief constable, soon as myself or my wife mention what its about we are put on hold for a few mins then the phone goes dead ( cut off ), we have tried seeking legal advice locally none of the solicitors will take the case on, its hand in hand rnd here they are all in it 2getha I know that seems a paranoid thing to say but a local solicitor agreed with us an said it was so & his hands were tied he couldnt help, can any one advise us please on how to deal with the situation & the police negligence & legal advice regards Dave & Paula & family
Write a letter! They have to deal with these within a certain number of days (5 I think) - but don't write to the Chief Constable, it really isn;t what hes there for ;) - write to the Commander of your local area - usually a Superintendant or Chief Super. they WILL get back to you - as it matters to them how well their patch is being policed :blink:

Did you contact the Police media dept, like I suggested? they will be able to hassle the Officer for information " in the public interest" ;) Try not to think that the Beat Officer has a grudge - he will be evaluated on the way he handles your case, so its to his benefit to get it right too. Did you find out who his Sergeant/Inspector are? You could ask to have a meeting with either of these officers to discuss the investigation.

I hope you get justice for your dogs - but like anything beaurocratic - the wheels seem to grind very slowly sometimes :rant:

My father had a similar experience many years ago with a maltreatedspringer that ran away from the farm next to where he worked, which was adopted by the railwaymen and lived in the weighbridge. The farmer came over one day and shot it in front of them. They bided their time, and when they found one of his tethered goats had fallen off a bank and hanged itself, they reported him for cruelty; on investigation many more counts of cruelty were discovered and he was subsequently prosecuted and banned from keeping animals.

Can you not find a solicitor slightly further afield? I would put your complaints to the police in writing so that if they do not act there will be a clear record of this.

Last edited by a moderator:
This bl**dy old boy network is a joke.

I said in an earlier post that I felt as if the farmer somehow knew he was above the law - and that is only even more reason to get the evil b***ard. :rant:

Dont give up - someone will take this on - and win. And who knows what they might uncover along the way :unsure:

If it wouldnt prejudice your case I'd get the press involved too. I agree that you should write to the Commander and send it recorded delivery. Ask for a meeting. If you still get no joy perhaps the police complaints commission would be interested? Website below might be of some help.

http://www.ipcc.gov.uk/index/complainants/who_complaint.htm

Good Luck :luck:

i know what this is like,to take the police on especially with the old boy network.we had a court case years ago that i posted about on here before.my solicitor actually told me the ex police man and the councils employees were all masons and were all working together.but despite this the law took its course and we won.keep at it dont give up!

Last edited by a moderator:
kris said:
i know what this is like,to take the police on especially with the old boy network.we had a court case years ago that i posted about on here before.my solicitor actually told me the ex police man and the councils employees were all masons and were all working together.but despite this the law took its course and we won.keep at it dont give up!
Hi thks for your support I have no intention of giving up, wots the old adage revenge is a dish best served cold.........

A farmer local to me has had some sheep worrying. The one time he made the police come out to see what had been done to his sheep the policeman was sick when he saw the injuries.

When it happens this farmer comes and speaks to everyone in the area with a dog and tells them what has happened and ask them to keep their dogs under control.

The other year he did this and on the Sunday afterwards I heard some shots. He'd found the culprit dog in his field chasing the sheep around. It was not as some people were saying a lurcher but in fact a 3 legged collie x. He is a dog lover and he fired over the head of the dog to scare it off. It runs off he stays around guarding the sheep.

Next thing he knows it's back again and so is the owner of the dog who starts shouting the odds at him. He leaves the gun with his wife and starts to have a discussion with the dogs owner. As things are getting out of control and too heated the farmer turned away and started to walk back to his house. The dogs owner picks up a rock and hits him over the head with it and then picks up another one to do it again. His wife then fires the shotgun in the air in an attempt to stop the dog owners from making a further assult on her husband and tell him to leave. Dog owner leaves.

Next thing they know there are armed police swarming all over the neighbours property. They've turned up to arrest the farmer and his wife and got the wrong place.

BeeJay said:
A farmer local to me has had some sheep worrying.  The one time he made the police come out to see what had been done to his sheep the policeman was sick when he saw the injuries.
When it happens this farmer comes and speaks to everyone in the area with a dog and tells them what has happened and ask them to keep their dogs under control.

The other year he did this and on the Sunday afterwards I heard some shots.  He'd found the culprit dog in his field chasing the sheep around.  It was not as some people were saying a lurcher but in fact a 3 legged collie x.  He is a dog lover and he fired over the head of the dog to scare it off.  It runs off he stays around guarding the sheep.

Next thing he knows it's back again and so is the owner of the dog who starts shouting the odds at him.  He leaves the gun with his wife and starts to have a discussion with the dogs owner.  As things are getting out of control and too heated the farmer turned away and started to walk back to his house.  The dogs owner picks up a rock and hits him over the head with it and then picks up another one to do it again.  His wife then fires the shotgun in the air in an attempt to stop the dog owners from making a further assult on her husband and tell him to leave.  Dog owner leaves.

Next thing they know there are armed police swarming all over the neighbours property.  They've turned up to arrest the farmer and his wife and got the wrong place.

sounds about right police muddle up, but my email including pics of the shot dogs to all the staff including the chief constable at newby wiske police head quarters has caused quite a stir, they think their pc's have gone wrong as its gone to every department lol :- " wonder how that happened :- " :- " o:)

I would also contact your local MP who will follow up and will also contact the police inspector on your behalf our local MP is very good and has a very good relationship with our police Inspector, It might help.

goodasgold said:
I would also contact your local MP who will follow up and will also contact the police inspector on your behalf our local MP is very good and has a very good relationship with our police Inspector, It might help.
I've tried contacting my local mp to no avail he cannot be contacted sent numerous emails & no reply

What about writing a letter to him, send it to both his home address and the house of Commons address, send both recorded delivery (or whatever it is called these days, when you want something signed for so you have proof of delivery).

That's what I think I'd do, Dave.

Best wishes

Gill

He came on to your premises with a shotgun and threatened a member of your family.

Get him locked up immediately, get his gun license revoked immediately.

Yes a farmer can shoot your dog if he has reasonable proof that your dog has harmed any of his livestock.

My dog often meets sheep etc on his walks, he knows they are harmeless, he just ignores them, I have met the farmer and never a cross word has passed between us.

When walking near farm animals I normally slip on my dogs long lead, you never know, there just might be a ram, bull etc

The farmer apreciates this and we go our merry way.

But that farmer has to be reported to the police for using threatening behaviour with a weapon

Ray

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back