The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Ferreting With An Italian X

Status
Not open for further replies.

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
posh totty said:
lillybet said:
Well done to Tippy
After all they are a small hound  :cheers: which is what I make quite clear to any one who is thinking about owning one .

They are not little  o:)   o:) even if they look like it.

Lillibet

im so proud of her !!! she certainly is taking after her mother and with the attitude of her dad she will be flying them out them holes!!! :- "

couldnt believe it when i arrived back so see what she had caught!!! (w00t) she is just a year old so care has to be taken but i can see who my little pal will be when i am ferretting :- " the lamp one was as i got out the car to let sas go on one she saw a squatter near the hedge and nailed it :oops:

sad that so many are not allowed to do what comes natutral for whatever reason really , bolting after a bunny on a level field is no different risk wise to chasing a ball say out on a walk? her sister mia and brother bailey also catch , usually rats though as their parents have a farm and an allotment , such a shame the breed is now bred so weak that things that come naturally are now such a risk :( im sure over time though with careful breeding and health screening etc the breed will once again be a strong agile sound little dog but will take time , effort and co-operation between breeders to do so :thumbsup:

Well said hun :huggles: :thumbsup:

TOPIC HEADING Ferreting With An Italian. NOT AN ITALIAN COME WOT EVER.

You should see bailey jump for birds as well tanya, a new trick he,s just picked up . The only birds he doesnt like are my geese they have a nasty nip he stays well clear :lol: . The gander doesnt like strangers so if anyone wants me they wait at the gate or get nipped.[ he,s a nasty boy..] SO I dont blame Bailey for staying clear I been told it really hurts :oops:

kirislin said:
What a beautiful little dog!  I wish my whippets could catch me some bunnies for dinner.
Why do people look in here if they think they'll find the pics upsetting?  The title is quite clear as to what this is about.

Linda

well, seeing as you asked :- " there is a forum for working and coursing, this is a general discussion forum ;)

and before anyone starts, I do not have a problem with iggies running, chasing, jumping or doing anything else that 'real' dogs do :thumbsup:

doris said:
kirislin said:
What a beautiful little dog!  I wish my whippets could catch me some bunnies for dinner.
Why do people look in here if they think they'll find the pics upsetting?  The title is quite clear as to what this is about.

Linda

well, seeing as you asked :- " there is a forum for working and coursing, this is a general discussion forum ;)

and before anyone starts, I do not have a problem with iggies running, chasing, jumping or doing anything else that 'real' dogs do :thumbsup:

Totally agree :thumbsup: Also working & coursing "lurcher section" may be a tad more appropriate :- "

I know I don't post on this section very often but I do "browse" and at the risk of sounding silly - but were'nt these dogs bred primarily for companionship NOT for work? :blink: They are not miniature whippets. :- "

Last edited by a moderator:
thats exactly what I put in an earlier post on this thread, but it was removed :(

doris said:
thats exactly what I put in an earlier post on this thread, but it was removed :(

but before it was removed, I did have another member tell me that I was wrong, as iggies are the oldest sighthound in the world ;) and that I should research my breed a bit more (w00t) :lol:

everyone's an expert, ey? :- "

doris said:
doris said:

but before it was removed, I did have another member tell me that I was wrong, as iggies are the oldest sighthound in the world ;) and that I should research my breed a bit more (w00t) :lol:

everyone's an expert, ey? :- "

Well Alison my info came from the IG club and I quote "the official kennel club approved organisation in GB" so surely they should know??? (w00t)

And YES,the world is full of experts! :lol: :lol:

let me know when you find one! :- " (w00t) :lol: :luck: ;)

05whippet said:
I know I don't post on  this section very often but I do "browse" and at the risk of sounding silly - but were'nt these dogs bred primarily for companionship NOT for work?  :blink:   They are not miniature whippets. :- "
I've almost given up posting in this forum because of the antagonism but it's true, they were bred from hunting dogs but specifically to be companions.

But most dogs will hunt given the chance whether they're designed for the job or not and iggies are no different.

Our responsibility in dog ownership is to make sure we're producing and rearing the best quality in a breed without sacrificing breed characteristics and this should be measured and reflected in the breed standard produced by the KC.

Lets please get away from the tit-for-tat arguments and concentrate on producing animals with strong bones, free from epilepsy, patella problems, teeth defects etc., and take responsibility for ensuring the dogs receive only the best loving care from their owners. Honesty is what's missing from a lot of people.

(p.s I don't go 'hunting' with Zoomie and Lottie but they have brought down a huge rabbit as part of the pack with the whippets and are always game for a chase and are physically strong enough to do it!)

All this about a great little dog who had a good day out and made there owner very proud.

Proud enough to share his experience with supposedly like-minded people

:- " :rant:

jinx and rubys mum said:
All this about a great little dog who had a good day out and made there owner very proud.Proud enough to share his experience with supposedly like-minded people

:- "  :rant:

maybe this thread should be moved to the coursing/working forum then, where like-minded people can read it? :thumbsup:

moderators, what do you think?

zilloot said:
05whippet said:
I know I don't post on  this section very often but I do "browse" and at the risk of sounding silly - but were'nt these dogs bred primarily for companionship NOT for work?  :blink:   They are not miniature whippets. :- "
I've almost given up posting in this forum because of the antagonism but it's true, they were bred from hunting dogs but specifically to be companions.

But most dogs will hunt given the chance whether they're designed for the job or not and iggies are no different.

Our responsibility in dog ownership is to make sure we're producing and rearing the best quality in a breed without sacrificing breed characteristics and this should be measured and reflected in the breed standard produced by the KC.

Lets please get away from the tit-for-tat arguments and concentrate on producing animals with strong bones, free from epilepsy, patella problems, teeth defects etc., and take responsibility for ensuring the dogs receive only the best loving care from their owners. Honesty is what's missing from a lot of people.

(p.s I don't go 'hunting' with Zoomie and Lottie but they have brought down a huge rabbit as part of the pack with the whippets and are always game for a chase and are physically strong enough to do it!)

Best response so far in my book Zilloot, please accept this full lipper X

keith :cheers:

midlanderkeith said:
zilloot said:
05whippet said:

I also don't often post on this thread, though i do read it regularly to get my fix of Zoomie and the other beautiful iggies.

I hate all the arguments and sniping - it seems so unnecessary when the supposed aim of us all is the best welfare of our beloved pets.

Zilloot -you put it perfectly. Please don't stop posting -especially pics of your lovely dogs, and their stories. Janet

pollyanna said:
I also don't often post on this thread, though i do read it regularly to get my fix of Zoomie and the other beautiful iggies. I hate all the arguments and sniping - it seems so unnecessary when the supposed aim of us all is the best welfare of our beloved pets.

Zilloot -you put it perfectly.  Please don't stop posting -especially pics of your lovely dogs, and their stories.  Janet

My thoughts exactly Janet. :thumbsup:

midlanderkeith said:
zilloot said:
05whippet said:

:* Back at ya Keith :lol: :thumbsup:

... and one for the lovely Jill :wub: :* :lol: :lol:

In my opinion Italian Greyhounds were as you quite rightly say pimarily bred as a companion/lap dog for the rich ladies. They were not bred for hunting although as i'm sure you all know they love to chase rabbits/squirels and birds, or fish as my puppy proved last week by catching one of our gold fish from our pond!! I think that as a whole the breed is a lot stronger than it was 30 years ago, if you look at some of the older photos of the italians they were much smaller and more of a toy type rather than a hound. Therefore, i don't agree that the breeders are breeding dogs with little bone strength. Obviously they are more prone to breaking legs then other breeds due to the length of the leg and the madness of a young iggy! I do agree that every dog should be given the opertunity to run and jump no matter what the breed.

Seeing the bitch with her kill does not upset me (being a veterinary nurse) but i can understand how it could cause offence, therefore i think it should be moved onto the coursing page.

fountainn said:
In my opinion Italian Greyhounds were as you quite rightly say pimarily bred as a companion/lap dog for the rich ladies.  They were not bred for hunting although as i'm sure you all know they love to chase rabbits/squirels and birds, or fish as my puppy proved last week by catching one of our gold fish from our pond!!  I think that as a whole the breed is a lot stronger than it was 30 years ago, if you look at some of the older photos of the italians they were much smaller and more of a toy type rather than a hound.  Therefore, i don't agree that the breeders are breeding dogs with little bone strength.  Obviously they are more prone to breaking legs then other breeds due to the length of the leg and the madness of a young iggy!  I do agree that every dog should be given the opertunity to run and jump no matter what the breed.
Seeing the bitch with her kill does not upset me (being a veterinary nurse) but i can understand how it could cause offence, therefore i  think it should be moved onto the coursing page.

But that bitch, isnt an italian greyhound

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back