The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Finding Your Way To Dog Shows

doris

Puppies for pleasure, not for Trade!
Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
we're thinking of buying a sat nav but don't know anything about them :unsure:

do any of you crazy show people who travel up and down the country use one? and if so, have you got any advice or suggestions on what to look for when we buy one? :wacko:

I know its not strictly a show dog topic :- "

Hi Alison,

I've got a Sat Nav - the main reason for getting it was to help me get to shows. I am absolutely useless with directions and can't read a map to save my life. :b

The Whippet Club was my first champ show last year. I was a horrible cow to my sister in the car on the way because i got lost and thought we were going to be late! She said she wouldn't come with me again!! After that i bought the sat nav and have been fine since! Luckily Rach still accompanies me :huggles:

I got a cheap one for £129. It does the job absolutely fine. I don't think it's worth paying £100's of pounds on one. Mine isn't a touch screen (which are a bit easier) but i don't think i need that extra feature when im just putting in one destination and driving there. It's not like delivery drivers who go from one place to the next. Also, costs more for speed camera alerts, but i didn't bother with that o:)

Tip to everyone - please don't leave your Sat Nav on display in your car unattended (even the cradle). This is an open invitation to thieves, Sat Nav's are a favourite to pinch at the moment. If you leave the cradle, they just break in and rifle round the car looking for the sat nav (as people leave them in the glove box)

thanks for that, good safety tip too :thumbsup:

I have a Tom Tom One. its great for some things but not so good when its a big champ show as the postcode often is to the nearest town and can be a bit out. I use the Nav and check the map too and that works fine. Also it doesn't find McDonalds!! I am hopeless with maps and am often found going to the wrong place (w00t) or the wrong way down the right road. Glad I don't travel with Jo, :lol: :p Mark is used to me and very kind! o:) o:)

And you're still rubbish even with the Sat Nav Jo!!

We have had a few interesting (if that is the right word) experiences on our way to shows! :- "

rls22 said:
And you're still rubbish even with the Sat Nav Jo!!  We have had a few interesting (if that is the right word) experiences on our way to shows!  :- "

Do tell (w00t) (w00t) . I may share my Crawley experience if you do. :lol:

I shall leave that one to Jo!! :lol:

I have a sat nav to go to shows never let me down yet. I have one of the PDA hand held computer ones. It has games on it and it keeps Ben entertained at shows too :thumbsup:

Another tip :-when you remove the cradle of your wind screen clean the mark of too else the theives can still see the mark and will break in looking for your sat nav.

I keep mine on my person at the shows unless Ben is using it to play the games but I only use it if we're going some were a long way of or if I know were I'm going you never know if you come across a closed road

The Best way to get to get your self to a show is Let Barbara Take you - You can have a drink & sleep all the way home! :D :cheers: :lol: :D :cheers: :lol:

We use a sat nav, we find sometimes it does go a bit mad and take us a really long way round, if we know its talking rubbish (on the mens voice of course!! :- " ) we switch to the ladies voice much more reliable and more direct!! :lol:

No we do sometimes ignore it if it has gone a long way round and then it re routes itself.. we have find it quite helpful, also if you do take a wrong turning it will again re route and get you back to where you should be, but we now do also still take a map just incase. :thumbsup:

Veredon said:
The Best way to get to get your self to a show is Let Barbara Take you - You can have a drink & sleep all the way home!  :D   :cheers:   :lol:   :D   :cheers:   :lol:

that sounds perfect! do Tesco sell Let Barbara Take You? cos if they do I could get staff discount too :lol:

thanks for answers everyone - just one more thing, whats the most important feature that I should look for? I mean, the one thing you couldn't do without or that you wished you paid extra for?

You can type in the street on mine, so postcode isn't a problem.

I think Rachel is referring to the time when i drove the wrong way up a dual carriageway (w00t) (w00t) (w00t) :sweating: Luckily i managed to pull in. I hasten to add that wasn't down to the sat nav. Shh, don't tell anyone!

jok said:
I think Rachel is referring to the time when i drove the wrong way up a dual carriageway (w00t)   (w00t)   (w00t) :sweating:     Luckily i managed to pull in.  I hasten to add that wasn't down to the sat nav.  Shh, don't tell anyone!

ROTFLMAO. Ok, Crawley......... Well, we were towing the caravan and I had the route all planned. We were making good time but hit loads of festival traffic. I got the schedule out to check the last bit....................oh dear. Whats up? Mark asked, have we gone the wrong way? Er, nooooo, we are headed to the WRONG CRAWLEY! (w00t) . My wonderful husband, just said never mind darling, turned round and returned the 60 miles we had just driven. They moved Southern Counties the next year! :lol: ( Thats the year my trousers split (w00t) (w00t) )

Juley said:
jok said:
I think Rachel is referring to the time when i drove the wrong way up a dual carriageway (w00t)   (w00t)   (w00t) :sweating:     Luckily i managed to pull in.  I hasten to add that wasn't down to the sat nav.  Shh, don't tell anyone!

ROTFLMAO. Ok, Crawley......... Well, we were towing the caravan and I had the route all planned. We were making good time but hit loads of festival traffic. I got the schedule out to check the last bit....................oh dear. Whats up? Mark asked, have we gone the wrong way? Er, nooooo, we are headed to the WRONG CRAWLEY! (w00t) . My wonderful husband, just said never mind darling, turned round and returned the 60 miles we had just driven. They moved Southern Counties the next year! :lol: ( Thats the year my trousers split (w00t) (w00t) )

Very very silly, probably slightly less dangerous though! :lol:

I bet Alison is having second thoughts about showing now. Nightmare car journeys and loads of silly people (w00t)

jok said:
Juley said:
jok said:

Very very silly, probably slightly less dangerous though! :lol:

I bet Alison is having second thoughts about showing now. Nightmare car journeys and loads of silly people (w00t)

You would be amazed how many people have admitted going on the wrong day, or taking the wrong dog ( or no dog). We had a good laugh when we finally got there. :lol:

doris said:
do any of you crazy show people who travel up and down the country use one?  :wacko:

jok said:
I bet Alison is having second thoughts about showing now.  Nightmare car journeys and loads of silly people (w00t)

I don't feel I have to add anything else to this post :- " :lol:

It's best if you get one that will take a full 7 digit post code.

We got a really good deal on a pda one when we first got ours, but when you're somewhere out in a field - street names don't help, and partial post codes are useless, so we used to guess somewhere in the right area. We liked it so much though that we upgraded to a non-pda one that takes full codes and has a few more bells and whistles and I love it.

Ours is a TomTom.

Wendy

We used the post code at Leeds and it took us to the middle of town (w00t) . It was fine when we used the tourist attraction part!

I have just brought one for OH for xmas from halfords half price was £199 now £99 i let you know after xmas if it any good!!

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back