The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Fleas.....help

kim & Tilly

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
[SIZE=14pt]Tilly the whippet has fleas, :( so i popped her down to the vets. :)) [/SIZE]

(while there we had her weighed shes 26lbs.)

I asked the vet for some flea treatment....and dutifuly put it on her when i got home... :thumbsup:

But!!!!

Tilly the whippet has fleas..... :angry:

How do i know..oh because i have about 15 bites on my legs, as im the only one in the family the fleas like :rant: :rant: :rant: :rant:

So why didnt it work?????? :rant: :rant:

It takes a few days to kill off the fleas, but you may still get them round the house for a while.

The joys of fleas :wacko:

Hope you get them sorted out soon

Simon

What was it the vet gave you , Tablets , spray or drops ?

Did they give you anything for your house .as the fleas will be in your carpet , settee, etc (w00t) ;

and what make .

Also she must have got them from somewhere has she been in contact with a certain dog or other animal because if they dont get rid of theirs they will keep jumping onto Tilly I would like the others said get something for her bedding carpets ect :thumbsup:

Fleas breed in undisturbed dust, so a good spring clean helps, especially behind furniture, inside the sofa, and washing all the dog bedding. Some flea treatments work only after the flea bites the dog, some products then kill them some only make them infertile. So it can take a quite while before they are gone :luck:

Lida

Last edited by a moderator:
*Lesley* said:
Also she must have got them from somewhere has she been in contact with a certain dog or other animal because if they dont get rid of theirs they will keep jumping onto Tilly I would like the others said get something for her bedding carpets ect :thumbsup:
I've had terrible problems with bird fleas this last couple of summers, it's partly to do with the unusual weather we've been having. Other very long dry summers have caused major infestations, our first one followed the drought of 1976 when I'd just got my first siamese kitten.

Don't assume they can't just be around in the environment. I can't work in the garden without getting bitten to death at the moment; fortunately they haven't come inside yet. The weather has been extremely mild and dry recently, which are exactly the conditions that favour fleas and have allowed them to spread (normally they are easy to get rid off as they prefer to stay in or under bird houses where it is dry, as Seraphina says. The grubs normally feed on dust; it's only the adult females that need blood to enable them to breed). I'm praying for some rain and frost to kill the b*ggers off!!

I use Frontline in the rare occasions the furries have had them, and wash their bedding too which usually sorts the problem out in a couple of weeks. Following a 3 month course will mop up any that may hatch out later on, and break the cycle.

Last edited by a moderator:
Seraphina said:
Fleas breed in undisturbed dust, so a good spring clean helps, especially behind furniture, inside the sofa, and washing all the dog bedding.  Some flea treatments work only after the flea bites the dog, some products then kill them some only make them infertile.  So it can take a quite while before they are gone :luck: Lida

[SIZE=14pt][/SIZE]

I’m sorry What’s this spring cleaning thing you speak of?? :unsure: :teehee: Some kind of dance or something to rid myself of the little biters :- "

I for one am fed up of being a restaurant for fleas, the dam things don’t pay and leave an awful mess :rant: :rant:

[SIZE=8pt]Yes it was frontline, drops on the back of the neck...[/SIZE]

You need to treat your HOUSE (w00t)

Go to a pet shop and get either flea bombs or a good household flea spray :thumbsup: the little beggars CAN live for up to a year in your skirting boards!! :rant: They are very hard to get rid of and I always thought the drops were just a repellant and would NOT kill existing fleas on the host.IMO you need to spray the dog too then use the drops.

Also treat for tapeworm it's all the one big cycle.Your vet should've told you this :blink:

Hope you get rid of them :thumbsup: You sound like me,if they're in the house it's me who gets bitten!! :angry:

I think Frontline does kill fleas on the host :thumbsup:

You have my sympathies on this one - we had an infestation about 15 years ago with our cat :( you have to treat everything, even the underside of the sofa. I'd get something from the vet (a spray can) to treat the house - it's more expensive than the ones you buy in pet shops, but contains a much more effective chemical. IMO, over-the-counter remedies are a waste of money.

Good luck.

[SIZE=14pt]Many thanks for your help :D ....i remember having an infestation :nuke: when we lived in a flat some years ago the lady next door had lots of cats and the fleas came to ours for their dinner (ie ME!!) :rant: [/SIZE]

I had to spray eveything then...i guess its time to get mad..... :rant:

(Starts putting on her, flea killing gear, stand back i have a can of flea spray!!!)

My dog's got fleas a few years back. I went to the vet without the dog and got frontline for the 3 I had and also a spray for the house. I had to put the drops on all 3 dog's necks and spray the whole house with ACCLAIM household flea spray. I had to take the dog's, hamster and budgie out the house for about 3 hours I think it was :( ,,It took a few days for the little buggers to die, but they never came back :D :D . I frontline mine 3 times a year,,never had to use the spray again :D

An elderly friend of ours had a really bad flea problem a while back. She'd had dogs for years, and her young lab was scratching all the time. We did drop a few hints, and she got something over the counter at the pet shop, which was pretty useless.

A few weeks later she had a builder in to do a few jobs; after a couple of days he was so badly bitten that he went to casualty. We persuaded her to get Frontline from the vets, and also to rip up her old carpet which had seen generations of dogs (and hosted their guests). I think this sorted the problem out within a couple of weeks.

The stuff you get from the vets is usually Nuvan StayKill, it is effective but I only use it when I have a really, really bad infestation outdoors; it's an organophosphate, so pretty powerful stuff which claims to last for 6 months.

I've treated mine with frontline spray every 3 months and have to say it's the best product I've ever used IMO :thumbsup:

Like folk have said, they can be dormant anywhere, they rely on feeling vibration to find a host so that's why your legs are getting attacked. Seen a brill program years back on their lifespan which left me itching! Oh and they can shack out in your hoover too so don't forget to empty it.

poor you, hope you get it sorted soon, just thinking about it makes me itch!!!

05whippet said:
You need to treat your HOUSE  (w00t)
Go to a pet shop and get either flea bombs or a good household flea spray :thumbsup: the little beggars CAN live for up to a year in your skirting boards!! :rant: They are very hard to get rid of and I always thought the drops were just a repellant and would NOT kill existing fleas on the host.IMO you need to spray the dog too then use the drops.

Also treat for tapeworm it's all the one big cycle.Your vet should've told you this  :blink:

Hope you get rid of them :thumbsup:   You sound like me,if they're in the house it's me who gets bitten!!  :angry:

Flea bombs :unsure: I've never heard of those how do they work O5 ?

They work by firstly emptying the room of pets and humans especially fish!! apparently lethal to fish :( then you place the "bomb" in the middle of the room on a plate etc and light it,it's a bit like a mild fumigation (DIY) you have to close all doors and leave the room for 3hrs I think it is,but they are VERY effective :thumbsup: We sold them in the Pet shop (though I am going back a few years) and we were always selling out of them.

The above is off the top of my head from memory so the instructions on the back of the "bomb" might be slightly different to what I have said :b but you get the gist.

I really hope you get rid of them,as they are areal nuisance :angry:

But as I mentioned before,Tilly might not nessecarily have picked them up from another dog or cat but could have picked up tapeworms and hey presto......fleas

Mind you,you do derive an immense amont of pleasure killing the little fiends (w00t)

Yes the latest product is Frontline Combi - that treats everything. But to doubly make sure I would still treat your rugs, bedding, carpets, etc just in case the little critters have managed to lay eggs.

We had a real bad case in our house a few years back and I kept 'hearing them almost at night' ...ping......ping.......ping...... :lol: we have 3 cats too and when they hunt the fleas are brought in on the tips of their ears. (w00t)

if you think you have a bad infastion wash everything the dogs sleep on at the hottest cycal they will stand including dog coats and and any bedding they sleep on yours and there hover your matterases as you carnt use fle prodcuts on human bedding I trip everything curtins the lot as well as usuing the houes hold flea killers and doggy stuf. We use the front line spry works at more economical with 8 dogs than the drops but they all work aswell. I allways got my houes tretment from the vets aswell and dont forget the car spray that too. once you havce compltly guted everything you will fine the drops or spry will keep them away for good if ues reguly. When you do the washing put some drops if tea tree in the last rince helps keep the eveil creaturs away

Of you do fined one get it between your finger nails and squash it it makes you feel so mutch better :lol:

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back