The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Fleas

Jan Doherty

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
Is it my imagination but are Fleas more apparent this year? Cant remember the last time I had to use flea spray especially on the iggies. Of course the walking hearth rug of a lurcher is a prime candidate as a flea hotel (w00t)

I have not come across any yet but its ben that cold up north thing there too scared to come out yet but My supplies are stacked up ready the thought of 8 if them all the fleabeasts :eek:

Yes i have had the little beasties here, only on Diamond though. Must have good blood when in season!!

Didnt notice until Terry was covered in spots one day after Diamond had been in our bed :oops: got sprays and shampoos galore here (w00t)

Frontline obviously isnt as good as its meant to be then and ive found Johnsons stuff very good.

I'm itching now :blink: I give mine garlic tablets & they eat the fresh wild garlic in the woods & touch wood, no fleas.

Havnt seen a single one this year yet (w00t) - and Ive just frontlined (combi) 2 dogs and 2 cats here :thumbsup:

i have cats and dogs and a granny who will find the only flea in the house and iv found the best way to prevent, is the carpet spray that lasts 6mths, used with frontline, flea collars and reg worming and touch wood even the flea bag cat i rescued is flea free, best to break the cycle? sure its called acclaim? it kills the fleas when they land on any furnishings like carpet and sofas etc, also spray my curtains and get in any crevices, hope that is of some help? :thumbsup:

We don't de-flea Alfie as he's never had fleas.... but now I'm starting to worry :sweating:

Can't say I've seen any yet this year but I keep flea collars on the cats and put spot on stuff on Billy No Mates ESS during the summer months. The older Whippies I use the Zodiac flea collars, they last 5 months and are quite pleasant smelling but the younger ones who are shown regularly or roll in fox sh*t just get bathed in Johnsons flea shampoo.

As a 'quick fix' the Johnsons 4 Fleas tablets are marvellous cos they do knock 'em dead (fleas not the dogs!!!)

As a 'quick fix' the Johnsons 4 Fleas tablets are marvellous cos they do knock 'em dead (fleas not the dogs!!!)

I looked at the tablets and wondered about them.

For the last 18 months or so I've been using Xenex spot on. To start with I used it on my 5 dogs & 2 cats once per month. Then only on the cats & my ESS. & now for a year I've only used it on my cat & touch wood & cross fingers no more fleas! :D

Before I tried Xenex I'd used Program & just about everything else & after about 6 months they all seemed to stop working :angry:

Unfortunately fleas love me & bite me absolutely everywhere (w00t) So long may Xenex keep the little B*gg**s at bay! ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
EJW said:
For the last 18 months or so I've been using Xenex spot on. To start with I used it on my 5 dogs & 2 cats once per month. Then only on the cats & my ESS. & now for a year I've only used it on my cat & touch wood & cross fingers no more fleas! :D Before I tried Xenex I'd used Program & just about everything else & after about 6 months they all seemed to stop working :angry:

Unfortunately fleas love me & bite me absolutely everywhere (w00t) So long may Xenex keep the little B*gg**s at bay! ;)

Came to stroke jill last night and noticed fleas on her head, went the vets, they gave me, ADVANTAGE, £15 for 4 tiny tubes

keith

I've never treated Milo as he has never had them, I've yet to treat Riley too.

I've often wondered why they've never had them.

Last edited by a moderator:
Jan Doherty said:

I looked at the tablets and wondered about them.

Marvellous tablets! We had an invasion the year before last and they were the only thing that instantly worked, they have no residual effect but it gives you enough time to use something more lasting and for it to work.

Now I am seriously worried. Did all the dogs with Bob martins spot on treatment and a few hours later Shelly has staggered in to the sitting room completely off her feet. Others are quiet but nothing like her. She appears disorientated. Has anyone had a reaction to these spot on treatments at all? I have looked on the internet but cant fins anything about it.

ive used many different types of spot on over the years but ive never heard of it affecting a dog like this. keep a close eye on her and if she dont get any better i would phone ur vets in the morning for advice, u can never be too careful with ur dogs.

i hope she feels better soon love.

Jan Doherty said:
Now I am seriously worried. Did all the dogs with Bob martins spot on treatment and a few hours later Shelly has staggered in to the sitting room completely off her feet. Others are quiet but nothing like her. She appears disorientated. Has anyone had a reaction to these spot on treatments at all? I have looked on the internet but cant fins anything about it.
I have heard of adverse reactions, although never had one in my dogs. I would ring the vet.

And lets face it ALL these products are chemicals with unknown long term effects. I only use them if necessary, and daily vacuuming of the places where fleas would breed (undisturbed dust) goes a long way to preventing a flea infestation.

Hope Shelly is OK :luck:

Took Shelley to the vets this morning. She is a lot better but is still showing signs of staggering and hypersensitivity. Last night she was biting her feet and keep licking her lips and was disorinetated. I have just bathed her and she is now under the heat lamp and we have to wait and see what the next 1 to 3 days brings. So far she has not had convulsions which is the next danger.

I cant believe that they are selling a product on the open market that has had no tests done. I havent had to use any type of flea spray for years so none of my Iggies have ever been done. Apparently the product is an Organic phosphate. I thought they were banned years ago :(

With regards vacumming up, I dont have carpets. I have washed all the bedding and sprayed their beds plus the settees. I have only seen one flea but they have all been scratching like mad.

Anyway thats a lesson learnt I wont be using anything again that isnt from the vets.

Jan Doherty said:
Took Shelley to the vets this morning. She is a lot better but is still showing signs of staggering and hypersensitivity. Last night she was biting her feet and keep licking her lips and was disorinetated. I have just bathed her and she is now under the heat lamp and we have to wait and see what the next 1 to 3 days brings. So far she has not had convulsions which is the next danger. I cant believe that they are selling a product on the open market that has had no tests done. I havent had to use any type of flea spray for years so none of my Iggies have ever been done. Apparently the product is an Organic phosphate. I thought they were banned years ago :(

With regards vacumming up, I dont have carpets. I have washed all the bedding and sprayed their beds plus the settees. I have only seen one flea but they have all been scratching like mad.Anyway thats a lesson learnt I wont be using anything again that isnt from the vets.

Sorry that Shelley had such an adverse reaction and hope she recovers quickly, I don't use spot on stuff on the Whips because I am always worried about situations such as this.

Interesting that you say all your lot are scratching like mad because half of mine are but they are not infested! I figured it was the time of year and they were starting to moult so I have bathed the 2 black dogs and an absolute ton of hair came out of them so now I've got to work my way through the others that are scratching!!!

I have heard of a lot of greyhounds having bad reactions to jonsosn and other over the counter flea tretments so have allways avoilded them on the whippets aswell a the greyhounds. we get the spray from he vets an do the lot with that I have found they dont need as much as loger coatsed and thicker coated breeds so it works out quiet ecanomical for our 8 and I allways have a flea cloller in the hover bag and touch wood we have been clear for years now

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back