The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Foot and Mouth

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
Hi Emma

I don't know if you have read all the posts or perhaps you have read the references to the Whippet Club Ch. show out of context. Either way I think there may be some misunderstanding. The references were made to point out that the Whippet Club were able to make their own decision about if and when to hold it's show. There is no defence needed as there was no critisism made.

The racing clubs do not all want to race nor are they all able to because of their venues being unsuitable. What most of us on this thread want though is for the clubs to have the same right as the Whippet Club enjoys to make their own decisions. At the moment the WCRA has effectively imposed a blanket ban by threatening to dissaffiliate any club that does race even if MAFF, their local authorities and venue owners agree that they can go ahead. This is contrary to the guidelines issued by the Kennel Club to Show Societies.

Hi Peeps,  

This is my first interraction on this forum and after having read through the submissions I would just like to say that Judy's posting seems to sum up the feelings of many Whippeteers about the WCRA advisory: It's not what was said that necessarily offended but the way in which it is was said.

People are bound to react defensively when given the impression that they are unable to make responsible and adult decisions.  Especially so when many of those same people interract very closely with the farming community.

While I applaud the reasoning of 'doing our bit' to prevent the spread of foot &  mouth; each club's ground has its own unique circumstances.  The facts are that not one outbreak has been traced to a dog; not a surprise when you consider how far they might travel compared to man.   So, why penalise the sport of dog racing when human sports most definitely pose a greater risk?

Yours emotively

Mention has been made on this forum of MAFF Factsheet 5. I have been reminded this morning that 'Factsheet 5, Restrictions and precautions on outdoor activities in an affected area' was withdrawn by MAFF a while ago.

On the MAFF web site now, replacing Factsheet 5, is the new 'country.pdf' file 'Government advice to the general public on countryside activities and visits'. This information is the same as I posted on March 17.

I telephoned MAFF this morning and they confirmed that the information presented in Factsheet 5 is no longer current and that the new information should be used.

However, although there doesn't seem to be a link to the old 'Factsheet 5' on the MAFF web site the old url is still active and the document can still be downloaded. After speaking to the MAFF helpline this morning they are going to see if the old document can be removed, I have also emailed their webmaster asking for it to be taken off as it is being viewed by some people who assume it be current information and hence is causing confusion.

At least the government seem to on the ball.

I received this email almost by return :biggrin:

Dear Nigel,

Thank you for your e-mail.  I have now arranged for factsheet 5 to be

removed from the www.maff.gov.uk <http://www.maff.gov.uk>  server in order

to avoid any confusion.

Many thanks,

Webmaster

MAFF

Well, as most of us feared, the members of most clubs were not asked their opinions on the questionaires.  One member, when asking his club secretary why he had not been contacted, was told that the club committee thought they could decide for the members.  He then asked the result of their decision, and was told it didn't concern him!!!  However, the result of the questionaires was that the majority of people think we should be racing - so what do the WCRA do? - Ignore the results, and think about it for a bit longer!!  Thank goodness for non affiliated clubs, and the non pedi clubs welcoming us.  The WCRA are usually dead against non affiliated clubs, but at the moment they're doing a bomb, they've never had so many dogs frequenting their clubs - and forgive me if I giggle a bit, cos I find that slightly amusing :biggrin:

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back