The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

For Tara

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
Had any of these dogs you mentioned fractured their pelvis? Its just im worried about the bone healing in the wrong place! Marie. :huggles:

Hi Marie, none of our dogs had a fractured pelvis, but let me tell you about another type of fracture that one of our dogs had that was horrific.

We board dogs, and the boarders never run with anyone else's dogs, or ours, which is common sense. One of the dogs we were boarding was a big labrador cross with a snarly, temperament. As people we were wary of her because she clearly was not well socialized, and so a challenge once out in a run, to get back in.

She was out in the big exercise yard for boarders and one of our whippets was in the adjacent yard, which you can only enter though a chain link gate. There was rather a large space between the edge of the gate and the fence where the gate was bolted, and unfortunately, it was large enough for a whippet with a sleek skull to put its head through. A bitch we called Sammy Goose put her head through the fence to sniff the dog in the other run (the Lab X) and the Lab grabbed her entire head in her mouth and chomped and wouldn't let go! My son and I were both in the yard and got a broom and managed to get the Lab to release her hold, but when she did what we saw horrified us. One whole side of Sammy's head was collapsed while the other was normal. She looked like that side had gone through a crusher. We rushed her to the vet hospital which is a merciful 5 minute drive from our place and Kevin -- the same Kevin -- took a serious look at it (we thought we were facing euthanasia) and did one x-ray. It turned out the bone that connects the skull above the eye socket was a clean break, which is what created the collapsed face look. Kevin carefully used his fingers and moved the clean fracture back into place and then bandaged her to hold what he had done in place. Her head was still enormously swollen so she continued to look awful -- and then showed us in a medical book what he had done.

Sammy came home with tablets for pain and a requirement she be kept quiet and alone for the next couple of weeks. By the end of a week as the swelling came down we could see her head would be normal again, and after a month, you would never know she had ever suffered a fractured skull.

So if you vet says this is a clean fracture, yes, it can and will knit together given time. It happens in people too... hairline fractures are treated with time, and wrapping but not much else.

Good luck, again!

Lanny

PS The Lab was we realized only reacting to someone sticking their head through a fence at her... because of her bird dog mouth despite the grabbing of Sammy's head, she did far less damage than another breed would have because her mouth and instincts are to handle things in her mouth softly. We also tightened the gap between the gate and fence post so no curious dogs could stick heads through the posts any more!

A

Avalonia said:
Had any of these dogs you mentioned fractured their pelvis? Its just im worried about the bone healing in the wrong place! Marie. :huggles:

Hi Marie, none of our dogs had a fractured pelvis, but let me tell you about another type of fracture that one of our dogs had that was horrific.

We board dogs, and the boarders never run with anyone else's dogs, or ours, which is common sense. One of the dogs we were boarding was a big labrador cross with a snarly, temperament. As people we were wary of her because she clearly was not well socialized, and so a challenge once out in a run, to get back in.

She was out in the big exercise yard for boarders and one of our whippets was in the adjacent yard, which you can only enter though a chain link gate. There was rather a large space between the edge of the gate and the fence where the gate was bolted, and unfortunately, it was large enough for a whippet with a sleek skull to put its head through. A bitch we called Sammy Goose put her head through the fence to sniff the dog in the other run (the Lab X) and the Lab grabbed her entire head in her mouth and chomped and wouldn't let go! My son and I were both in the yard and got a broom and managed to get the Lab to release her hold, but when she did what we saw horrified us. One whole side of Sammy's head was collapsed while the other was normal. She looked like that side had gone through a crusher. We rushed her to the vet hospital which is a merciful 5 minute drive from our place and Kevin -- the same Kevin -- took a serious look at it (we thought we were facing euthanasia) and did one x-ray. It turned out the bone that connects the skull above the eye socket was a clean break, which is what created the collapsed face look. Kevin carefully used his fingers and moved the clean fracture back into place and then bandaged her to hold what he had done in place. Her head was still enormously swollen so she continued to look awful -- and then showed us in a medical book what he had done.

Sammy came home with tablets for pain and a requirement she be kept quiet and alone for the next couple of weeks. By the end of a week as the swelling came down we could see her head would be normal again, and after a month, you would never know she had ever suffered a fractured skull.

So if you vet says this is a clean fracture, yes, it can and will knit together given time. It happens in people too... hairline fractures are treated with time, and wrapping but not much else.

Good luck, again!

Lanny

PS The Lab was we realized only reacting to someone sticking their head through a fence at her... because of her bird dog mouth despite the grabbing of Sammy's head, she did far less damage than another breed would have because her mouth and instincts are to handle things in her mouth softly. We also tightened the gap between the gate and fence post so no curious dogs could stick heads through the posts any more!

A

Oh my goodness! That sounds awful. Thank goodness the poor baby came ok. The x ray definatly looks like a clean break, theres about a 1.5mm gap as to where the bone should attached to. I think once the swelling and bruising comes down the lifting will get easier for her. She is rather swollen and purple around the vulva (not a season as its the skin around it.) - i think she must have took the impact from behind, and i think its maybe why she held her pee in for so long - it could be sore. She is going back to the vet on Tuesday (she hasnt seen our usual vet yet - he has been on holiday!) the vet i have been seeing is - funnily enough - called Kevin. Our usual vet is Scott who deals with her immunity check every month, ill will be seeing him from now on.

Its going to take time, is there any type of food or drink or anyhing i could give her for healing? Is milk good?

Marie. :huggles:

I'm sure the vet will give you some advice about feeding but I think you'll have to watch she doesn't get constipated with the lack of exercise because that could be uncomfortable for her back end.

Cow's milk doesn't do any harm in small quantities but goats or rice-milk is better for regular meals or to encourage her to drink (although I give mine a little cow's milk for breakfast everyday and they are fine).

If she's on a gentle diet then brown rice is good roughage mixed with chicken or fish. Is she off her food? Little and often would probably help too rather than just one big meal.

Give her a cuddle from us. :huggles: :wub:

Oh... and if you can get some arnica put a couple of pillules in her waterdish and it will help the bruising.

zilloot said:
I'm sure the vet will give you some advice about feeding but I think you'll have to watch she doesn't get constipated with the lack of exercise because that could be uncomfortable for her back end.
Cow's milk doesn't do any harm in small quantities but goats or rice-milk is better for regular meals or to encourage her to drink (although I give mine a little cow's milk for breakfast everyday and they are fine).

If she's on a gentle diet then brown rice is good roughage mixed with chicken or fish.  Is she off her food?  Little and often would probably help too rather than just one big meal.

Give her a cuddle from us. :huggles:   :wub:

Oh... and if you can get some arnica put a couple of pillules in her waterdish and it will help the bruising.

Hi Fiona,

Thanks for the hugs and kisses - Tara sends little delicate ones back. :huggles:

She is the opposite from constipated at the moment - its like water coming thorugh! She isnt off her food - but perhaps i should put her on a lighter diet, like you mentioned. I have been giving her plenty of water and tomorrow (i have to leave the house to go to work) so i will get some goats milk. Honestly i havent left the house all weekend! I just hope she stops hurting soon.

Arnica and pillules???

Marie. :huggles:

Thinking of you Marie, have got everything crossed :luck: :luck: :luck: . The fact that Tara has been advised against an operation sounds much more positive that she will make a full and speedy recovery.

Twiggy and Bridie send thier friend lots of love and gentle cuddles :huggles:

Yvette :thumbsup:

Poor thing, I hope she is feeling a bit more comfortable today - and I hope you are too! :luck:

Just a wee update on Tara.

2 weeks today since the terrible accident. She is so much better! She no longer wants to lie around (so i have caged her) i still carry her everywhere as strict rest was the vets orders but she doesnt want me carrying her - she wants to walk!

When she is walking (its only around the garden to do the toilet) she is almost walking normally - a slight limp but nothing major. Considering this time 2 weeks back she couldnt move at all!

I really cant believe the difference 2 weeks has made - the vet said 3 weeks and she should start using her back legs again but i thought he was being a bit ambitious. I just hope another 2 weeks will show even more improvment.

We a a vet appointment tomorrow evening - i will let you know what he says.

Thanks to everyone again for their kind words.

Marie and Tara. :huggles:

glad to hear she is on the mend lets hope she is back to normal in no time :luck: :huggles:

That sounds really promising progress, so pleased to hear that :huggles:

:cheers: :huggles: :thumbsup: So happy she doing so well

Love to you and the Whippies :wub: :wub:

Last edited by a moderator:
Only just read this :( - poor Tara - but so pleased to hear that she is making a very good recovery. :huggles: Hope the vet is pleased with her too. :thumbsup:

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back