The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Free Running?

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
peppermint lady said:
;) it goes without saying, i love to see dogs having a good run about :wacko:   :sweating: but i think this is a subject we will have to agree to disagree on :thumbsup:

as its been said...not everyone has the chance/available area to have the pleasure, as for recall, i want my dogs to chase, some of mine HATE any other dog if its not a whippet....so i would never let them off in public, if grace saw any other breed of dog she will chase it, and to distact her is impossible, i think by not letting her off in a park makes me a responsable owner :thumbsup: i know if some of my whippets go into chase mode....weather it be a rabbit, dog, bird ect its hard to get them to snap out of it, after all i want my whippets to chase as i race them :thumbsup:

i hate it when other walkers let their dogs approach mine...shouting "they wont hurt them" well that owner does not know how the dogs on the lead will react.

my point is, owners that dont free run their dogs for what ever their reason, ie fear of them running off, other dogs ect, does not make them a bad owner :thumbsup:

just maybe their situation and available area is not as good as yours :D

Actually I'm not sure we are disagreeing with each other :) I certainly wouldn't suggest anyone free run their dog if they couldn't do it safely, whatever the reason for their concern, or if they had express reason not to do it, as I understand you do with your racers (who of course run everytime they race :thumbsup: ). And I certainly don't think of those who don't free run their dogs as bad owners. My post was prompted by having met people who have never even tried to free run their companion dogs yet have access to the same open and generally empty spaces where I run mine. I recently persuaded one of these people to come out with me as Finn's recall is good and I was hopeful my confidence would rub off on her. She and her dog had a great time and that dog, who is nearly three and had never been off the lead before except in her garden, gets to run free once in a while now which surely has to be a good thing.

Annie

Surely if you have 100% control/recall of your dog/dogs, most places are safe to free run them ? :) .....My lot run in fields along side very busy roads and a railway line daily ....I took my lot out for 3 hours on Thursday and apart from calling them off a deer and to tell them to wait for their leads to be put on, I don't think I spoke to them as they just watch what I'm doing ..... This is of course JMPO :thumbsup:

Strike Whippets said:
Surely if you have 100% control/recall of your dog/dogs, most places are safe to free run them ?  :)   .....My lot run in fields along side very busy roads and a railway line daily ....I took my lot out for 3 hours on Thursday and apart from calling them off a deer and to tell them to wait for their leads to be put on, I don't think I spoke to them as they just watch what I'm doing ..... This is of course JMPO  :thumbsup:
i dont have 100% recall of my dogs as i race them, i know other racers might, but out of 9 whippets probaly 3 would come straight back, the others wont be called of a chase, but thats why they make good racers imo, i dont want them to stop half way down the track because they hear someone shout :eek:

so i guess its down to the dog/owner and what works for them,

my dogs wouldnt notice if i jumped out in front of them during a chase/race but thats how i want them....100% focused on the lure...not me.

and as i have my own feild, its not a problem for me, they all come when i call them, but i doubt they would in a public place with distractions :thumbsup:

Strike Whippets said:
Surely if you have 100% control/recall of your dog/dogs, most places are safe to free run them ?  :)   .....My lot run in fields along side very busy roads and a railway line daily ....I took my lot out for 3 hours on Thursday and apart from calling them off a deer and to tell them to wait for their leads to be put on, I don't think I spoke to them as they just watch what I'm doing ..... This is of course JMPO  :thumbsup:
I don't believe there's such a thing as 100% recall with any dog :thumbsup: You've hit the nail on the head there Hannah when you say they just watch what you're doing, they're more interested in you than anything else going on - great if that's how you want them, but for racing we want them to take notice of the lure, and not look to us for instruction. Each to their own I suppose :thumbsup:

I spend my entire walk prattling on to my dogs :lol: :b :b

We play games, I wind Blue up until she spins, I hide from her, I make all three come and sit and then send them off again, and yes I also just watch, but I think all these games help to make me more interesting to them than other dogs/people/rabbits etc, making thier recall pretty good...but as you say June, never 100%...but at 16 months Bluebell will not run up to other dogs now unless I tell her she is allowed to :thumbsup: ,

and she never chases rabbits...but that might be because she wouldn't know a rabbit if she tripped over it :oops:

It takes effort to get dogs ready for off lead running and it takes effort to find a place thats safe, but I'm sure if you really want to, you can find somewhere.

Comparing a Whippet who never gets off the lead to a Husky who doesn't pull a sled as a bit of a silly comparitive, I'd hope that all the husky's who never get to pull a sled, do get plenty of exercise.

But do find it extremely sad that some Whippets (or any other dog) never get let off, look what they are missing :(

Last edited by a moderator:
peppermint lady said:
another friend of mine never free runs her whippy as she shows, and does'nt want to much muscle build up for the show ring (im guessing they get marked down...i know nowt about showing so if this is wrong then im sorry)
What a sad & feeble excuse to not allow her whippets to run free :angry: no,they don't get marked down for having good muscle tone :blink:

All my dogs are very fit & well muscled & run daily,& they regularly do well at shows :)

Perhas your friend should show hamsters instead of a running dog :- "

alfyn said:
peppermint lady said:
another friend of mine never free runs her whippy as she shows, and does'nt want to much muscle build up for the show ring (im guessing they get marked down...i know nowt about showing so if this is wrong then im sorry)

What a sad & feeble excuse to not allow her whippets to run free :angry: no,they don't get marked down for having good muscle tone :blink:

All my dogs are very fit & well muscled & run daily,& they regularly do well at shows :)

Perhas your friend should show hamsters instead of a running dog :- "

I don,t think their is any need for you to be so rude :angry:

she happens to have very good racing dogs which are very fit and free run

but prefers to take things slowly with her youngsters no problem with that

is there :- "

my daughter did add she did not know if they got marked down if you had

read the comments properly :)

showing is not our thing its nice your dogs are so fit and well :thumbsup:

I'm not being rude to you,but i still stand by what i said as i have very strong feelings that running breeds need to run & imo you shouldn't have such a breed if it doesn't get any freedom :(

Ermm,there wasn't anything in the post i quoted saying that the dogs were youngsters,or that any of them were raced :blink:

meddling (clair) with regard to my Husky comment, i mean lots of people that own dogs dont use them for what they are bred for, i mean does eveyone who owns a collie have a heard of sheep in the garden for it to round up :lol: :lol:

and yes free running is a great thing for all dogs, not just whippets :thumbsup: but im just trying to point out this is not always an option for everyone :thumbsup:

with regards to your reply Alfyn, i did say im not totally sure about the reasons for not over doing the free running with show dogs :unsure: (maybe she worries about injury i dont know) but i do know her dogs have a 1st class home life, so i think she will give the hamsters a miss for now :)

but i do know ive never seen a show bred whippet that looks like my race bred whippets, they are bred for different qualities :thumbsup: so i really dont believe if i put a full race bred whippet in the show ring it would do well against show breds.. imo....i have a part show and you can see just looking at her :thumbsup:

i also dont feel there is any need to attack other people for having an opinion :thumbsup:

otherwise this will be just one more thread that gets personal and petty.

as ive stated many times on this topic, i think every owner would choose to free run there dog, but for some its not a choice that is open to them, for what ever reason :thumbsup:

Last edited:
Like Debs we let all of ours free run twice daily. 3 out of the 7 of them are shown and are in beautiful, fit condition and all of them are champ show winners. As a result of the free running they have all got scars from various little accidents. Rocco has only just had his staples out after a gash to his shoulder he got when out free running. He went nuts having 2 weeks without being allowed off the lead. I would hate for lead walking to be the only exercise he only knew.

Personally, I find it really frustrating/annoying that people use the excuse that their dogs are show dogs as reason for not letting them free run. :(

One of my pet hates is fat, unfit whippets in the ring - I should that fat unfit whippets is a pet hate full stop. :p

June Jonigk said:
Strike Whippets said:
I don't believe there's such a thing as 100% recall with any dog :thumbsup: You've hit the nail on the head there Hannah when you say they just watch what you're doing, they're more interested in you than anything else going on - great if that's how you want them, but for racing we want them to take notice of the lure, and not look to us for instruction. Each to their own I suppose :thumbsup:

I know what you are saying ....and as we all know I do have a "problem" in my line as they seem to over bond with their owners, but I do race my lot when I get round to it ...I just stand at the pick up now for 3 of them ... :D though at lure coursing this doesn't work too well, so I just run with Eric :teehee: .....IMO there is such thing as 100% recall in most dogs :D

rls22 said:
Like Debs we let all of ours free run twice daily.  3 out of the 7 of them are shown and are in beautiful, fit condition and all of them are champ show winners.  As a result of the free running they have all got scars from various little accidents.  Rocco has only just had his staples out after a gash to his shoulder he got when out free running.  He went nuts having 2 weeks without being allowed off the lead.  I would hate for lead walking to be the only exercise he only knew. 
Personally, I find it really frustrating/annoying that people use the excuse that their dogs are show dogs as reason for not letting them free run.   :(  

One of my pet hates is fat, unfit whippets in the ring - I should that fat unfit whippets is a pet hate full stop. :p

i also know alot of race dogs that dont go off the lead, due to worries of injury, i can see both side of the coin....if you race/show weather it be dogs horses ect you feel you want to wrap them up in cotton wool, if a top show dogs gets a huge scar, that could possibly be the end of their showing, the same if a racer gets an injury they might never race again....im not saying whats right and whats wrong, but people have different reasons for doing different things with their dogs.....doesnt mean the dog is anyless looked after or loved, some peoples dogs never leave the hose so surely a lead walk is the better option in that case :thumbsup:

Hannah i also have 1 i have to be at the pick up for as she runs to me and not the lure, i can let her off anywhere as she wont leave my side, and yes when the others run i feel she misses out, but thats our Lolly im afraid and she will never change :huggles:

Last edited:
sorry i can't believe people have running dogs and don't allow them to free run. It is down to us as owners to research the breed and make sure we can offer it all that it requires before getting the dog, mine are pets they don't work,race or show but everyday they get a good gallop around............if they don't and they just have a lead walk i have 2 very frustrated/hyper dogs..........

whippet wonder said:
sorry i can't believe people have running dogs and don't allow them to free run.  It is down to us as owners to research the breed and make sure we can offer it all that it requires before getting the dog, mine are pets they don't work,race or show but everyday they get a good gallop around............if they don't and they just have a lead walk i have 2 very frustrated/hyper dogs..........
so what your saying is a lady i know very well, who has bred/raced whippets for the best part of 50 years, should now give up her breed as at her age she doesnt feel safe letting them off lead anymore...... :- "

Last edited:
peppermint lady said:
rls22 said:
Like Debs we let all of ours free run twice daily.  3 out of the 7 of them are shown and are in beautiful, fit condition and all of them are champ show winners.  As a result of the free running they have all got scars from various little accidents.  Rocco has only just had his staples out after a gash to his shoulder he got when out free running.  He went nuts having 2 weeks without being allowed off the lead.  I would hate for lead walking to be the only exercise he only knew. 
Personally, I find it really frustrating/annoying that people use the excuse that their dogs are show dogs as reason for not letting them free run.   :(  

i also know alot of race dogs that dont go off the lead, due to worries of injury, i can see both side of the coin....if you race/show weather it be dogs horses ect you feel you want to wrap them up in cotton wool, if a top show dogs gets a huge scar, that could possibly be the end of their showing, the same if a racer gets an injury they might never race again....im not saying whats right and whats wrong, but people have different reasons for doing different things with their dogs.....doesnt mean the dog is anyless looked after or loved, some peoples dogs never leave the hose so surely a lead walk is the better option in that case :thumbsup:

Hannah i also have 1 i have to be at the pick up for as she runs to me and not the lure, i can let her off anywhere as she wont leave my side, and yes when the others run i feel she misses out, but thats our Lolly im afraid and she will never change :huggles:

Frankie is covered in scars - because he is white they really show up! :oops: It has not once hindered his success in the ring. And if he were to have a scar that meant he could never be shown again but was still healthy then I would rather that and him be able to do the thing he loves doing best - running with the other whips. For us to stop him doing this just to protect our own hobby would be so selfish and as I only have my own conscious to answer to it is not something I could live happily with.

Diego, broke his leg at 12 weeks old - now at 6 months and after a long rehab process I am letting him free run because he just loves it and to see him so happy and free to be a whippet is something at one time I never thought I would see. Yes, I am more careful with him than with the others but I will not confine him to a life of lead walks only, seeing him miss out for months on end was heart breaking enough.

Yes, of course lead walking is better than nothing at all and a dog can be kept in very good condition from this alone, but we all know how much our whips love to run that I think it is such a shame for them to never get the chance to do something that is so natural for them.

peppermint lady said:
rls22 said:

I've personally never heard of a show whippet being knocked for having a scar,in fact Bailey has one on his back,but that didn't stop him from recently winning his 1st CC!!!

Yes,a whippet can injure itself while free running,but i'm afraid that's part of the risk in owning such a breed.

i sweat buckets sometimes when mine go manic ,but it's just not fair to wrap them up in cotton wool is it??? :(

To love a dog,you HAVE to do what's right for it in ALL departments,& that includes freedom to run :thumbsup:

whippet wonder said:
sorry i can't believe people have running dogs and don't allow them to free run.  It is down to us as owners to research the breed and make sure we can offer it all that it requires before getting the dog, mine are pets they don't work,race or show but everyday they get a good gallop around............if they don't and they just have a lead walk i have 2 very frustrated/hyper dogs..........
EXACTLY! :thumbsup:

so if an elderly person that has owned and free run their dogs all their lives

can no longer do so is that awfull I don,t think so :)

we hope to free run ours all the time and have owned whippets for 30yrs

so we do know the breed but who knows what the future holds but a walk on the

lead in certain circumstances is better than nothink :)

I do think that any breed of dog deserves a good run around, well supervised and properly trained - for their own safely (as someone said earlier on, letting them off for a run while they're still young is probably the best way) but I had never seen the sheer joy and love of life that is written all over Blue's face when he's running before I discovered whippets. I couldn't deny him his free running and I think he looks great with his well toned muscles

Blue1.jpg

peppermint lady said:
whippet wonder said:
so what your saying is a lady i know very well, who has bred/raced whippets for the best part of 50 years, should now give up her breed as at her age she doesnt feel safe letting them off lead anymore...... :- "

so is it her age the reason she doesn't free run? or the risk of a dog hurting itself doing what it loves best.........why does she not feel safe........does she have poor recall........i work at a greyhound racing kennels and all of them are allowed free running, its part of keeping them in condition....they just go 1 at a time and my boss had also been in the business 50 years or so......and yes i am sorry but their comes a time in life when you have to adjust to age, know your limitations etc.......

whippet wonder said:
peppermint lady said:
whippet wonder said:

so is it her age the reason she doesn't free run? or the risk of a dog hurting itself doing what it loves best.........why does she not feel safe........does she have poor recall........i work at a greyhound racing kennels and all of them are allowed free running, its part of keeping them in condition....they just go 1 at a time and my boss had also been in the business 50 years or so......and yes i am sorry but their comes a time in life when you have to adjust to age, know your limitations etc.......

:lol:

well im glad everyone is not of the same opinion as you.....my friend looks forward to her sundays at the track, as do her dogs...and nobody could love them more than her :thumbsup: so no need to put her in a nursing home yet :lol:

her dogs are not left shut in alday while she works like many other dogs are, and she has no safe running area nearby, so her dogs enjoy a lead walk :thumbsup:

what wrong with that?

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back