The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Free Running?

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
she probably does look forward to her sunday's at the track, but i bet her dogs look forward to it more...........who said anything about putting her in a nursing home? .....oh you!!!!

whippet wonder said:
she probably does look forward to her sunday's at the track, but i bet her dogs look forward to it more...........who said anything about putting her in a nursing home?  .....oh you!!!!
if she stopped racing she wouldnt get rid of her dogs :unsure: , i admire her for her age, and the fact that shes not sat at home knitting.. id happily see any of my dogs live with her....not running wont kill a dog :wacko:

and i also look forward to my sundays at the track....and know without a shadow of a doubt my dogs look forward to it even more :thumbsup:

are their many greyhounds in your kennels because things have changed a lot

over the years .my husband was head lad many years ago in charge of 200 dogs

for an n.g.r.c trainer and i was a kennel hand .

and the dogs were only walked and had a 15 min run in a paddock only the

trainers fancy got extra walks :(

Its very heart warming to know that things have moved on over the years :)

I know racing is not the same as free running but it is running ... some race dogs may not get the same free running others get the rest of the week but they do get to make up for that and speed along as they are built to on race days. I thought that we were discussing all whippets here and many are neither free run or raced which is in my view a crying shame.

I hope to have whippets until I'm in my dotage ... in fact I have health problems now which mean I sometimes can't walk then very far ... what I can easily do is stand in the gateway of a local field or on the village green while they run around and around for the sheer joy of it. If I ever find myself unable to do even that then I would pay a dogwalker or find a friend to do it for me. And if that was impossible well then as flash says I'd have to question whether I should have whippets at all. Just my opinion of course.

Annie

Last edited by a moderator:
peppermint sue said:
are their many greyhounds in your kennels because things have changed a lotover the years .my husband was head lad many years ago in charge of 200 dogs

for an n.g.r.c trainer and i was a kennel hand .

and the dogs were only walked and had a 15 min run in a paddock only the

trainers fancy got extra walks  :(

Its very heart warming to know that things have moved on over the years  :)

can't comment on your experiences with the greys, but no there's only 15 in ours so plenty of time for their exercise..........and there's 2 staff........they also go on the walkers in wet weather.......this is an n.g.r.c registered kennels and things have majorly improved over the years......we still have 4 golden oldies with us and 2 retired due to pad injuries.........

themetalchicken said:
I know racing is not the same as free running but it is running ... race dogs may not get the same free running others get the rest of the week but they do get to make up for that and speed along as they are built to on race days. I thought that we were discussing all whippets here and many are neither free run or raced which is in my view a crying shame.
I hope to have whippets until I'm in my dotage ... in fact I have health problems now which mean I sometimes can't walk then very far ... what I can easily do is stand in the gateway of a local field or on the village green while they run around and around for the sheer joy of it. If I ever find myself unable to do even that then I would pay a dogwalker or find a friend to do it for me. And if that was impossible well then as flash says I'd have to question whether I should have whippets at all. Just my opinion of course.

Annie

well like most dogs whippets get old to and are happy to potter round the garden

I don,t think age is a reason to question whether you have your whippet or not

hopefully you can grow old together :)

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back