The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

French bulldog Shelby

Shellyanne

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
Hi everyone I'm new today. Just a bit of information about myself. I own two dogs. A pug and a french bulldog Shelby. Who is going through the mill at the moment bless her she's got grass and pollen allergies she's got alapecia we think. The vet did scrape s hair plucks and tests under her armpits to rule out bacteria they came back clear no parasite s or mange. Just waiting for the plucks results she's been out on the garden and I've noticed that her bits are really sore I've bathed her the best I can. She's on piriton and she has hyperallegenic shampoo baths. She has been spayed last year any advice of what I can put on her sore bits there's no discharge from her but I think she's been licking herself. Please help. Michelle

Welcome to the forum. I'm sure someone with experience of allergies in dogs will be along soon with some advice.

Thank you I just don't know what else to try apart from what I'm doing it's so upsetting and frustrating my pug doesn't ail anything he can eat anything aswell poor Shelby doesn't ail anything in winter .

Have you tried wiping her with a wet cloth every time she has been outside, to remove allergens as much as possible?

Also people seem to get some relief using locally produced honey.

And someone I know has had good results with colostrum.

We had a frenchie years ago when they were quite a rarity...she had allergies ...alot was to do with food ....

Have you tried wiping her with a wet cloth every time she has been outside, to remove allergens as much as possible?

Also people seem to get some relief using locally produced honey.

And someone I know has had good results with colostrum.
Hi yes I always wipe her I've not tried honey yet but il try anything I've also been advised to let her sit in a bath with apple cider vinegar . Thank you.

Hi it's strange she's on the same food that's she's been on for ages. She only started with the itching and soreness since spring she s been health checked last week by the vet who says she s perfectly healthy and that Frenchie s are known for allergies I would just like some advice on what I could also bath her in to reduce the soreness .thank you. Michelle

I would ask the vets advice if you are concerned her bits are sore ....in the meantime I try a thin layer of sudoceme...just ensure she doesn't lick it off ....

I would ask the vets advice if you are concerned her bits are sore ....in the meantime I try a thin layer of sudoceme...just ensure she doesn't lick it off ....
Hi I've been bathing her with cooled boiled water and been putting a thin layer of sudocrem on she seems a bit better this morning xx

Hi the vet has given me some dermacleanse wipes for her bits. Which hopey is doing the trick her hair plucks has come back as alapecia we are now having bloods done on Monday to see if her food is anything to do with allergies. So il keep you posted. Michelle

Lets hope we can get her sorted out bless her she's such a lovely little girl. I was advised to start her on melatonin table. What do you all think of that idea. Any advice would be great Michelle

Never heard of it ...was it suggested by the vet ...
Our girl was allergic to all grain and dried food and chicken...
Once she was put on a raw diet her skin improved within days ...

What raw food do you give her I've thouy about raw I used to give Shelby raw minced beef and she was ok on it but my vet nurse said to give her boiled chicken it was safer. Or to Cook the minced beef.

Checking online, melatonin can calm dogs, so might counteract the stress that the itching causes. Though if the aloplecia is related to stress, that may help too.

I know it's an unlicensed drug in humans (in the UK), so unless your vet recommended it, I would ask them if they are happy with it - and also ask about dosage.

I really hope this is the light at the end of the tunnel for you.

Last edited:
Oh lord so do I I can't sleep worrying about her. My hubby goes mad because I'm pacing about at night but I can't help it. My pug Pepe is the opposite of her he can eat anything his skin and fur are beautiful he's just very Vocal Shelby is a lap lady she loves a good cuddle.

Yes, trying a raw diet is a good idea and will do no harm.
By the way there is a difference between raw chicken and chicken which is cooked and processed in kibbles !

Also Our vets are not the best people to ask about our dogs diet and nutrition, they have very little or no training about dietry needs. Please read the attachment.

Myths About Raw: Is my vet really qualified to be giving nutritional advice?

Yes I will definitely ask the vet about melatonin it's strange because the alapecia doesn't itch her atall the grass allergies do. The vet says her fur may grow back

I give natures menu as it has everything they need in and they have a chicken wing every day...some vets are against raw feeding some because they make money selling prescription diets Inside the practice

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back