The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Gardening Advice Needed

avon

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
I use Aloe Vera all the time, the Gel is great for minor cuts and bruises for both dogs and humans. I was at a fete yesterday and bought an Aloe Vera plant, this is going to save me £'s I thought. But now I don't know what to do with it. I was wondering if there are any gardening enthusiasts who can advise me.

I presume it is an outdoor plant, but how do I use it. I know Sid will eat the leaves as he eats every other plant in the garden, so that will do him good, but I dont think he will be too happy if a try and stick a leaf on a wound.

Any advise appreciated :cheers:

avon said:
I use Aloe Vera all the time, the Gel is great for minor cuts and bruises for both dogs and humans.  I was at a fete yesterday and bought an Aloe Vera plant, this is going to save me £'s I thought.  But now I don't know what to do with it.  I was wondering if there are any gardening enthusiasts who can advise me. 
I presume it is an outdoor plant, but how do I use it.  I know Sid will eat the leaves as he eats every other plant in the garden, so that will do him good, but I dont think he will be too happy if a try and stick a leaf on a wound.

Any advise appreciated  :cheers:

Just a quirk but why does "AVON" need an ALOE VERA plant?

Try Googling it for use and care. In the uK I wouldnt think it would survive outdors except possibly in the far south

I think you can grow it indoors too or outdoors in mild climates. :thumbsup:

and you can use it in the natural state. :thumbsup:

I've got two - one of them does really well and is a huge thing, the other is smaller and was taken from a cutting, it's a better colour but not so vigorous. I always keep them indoors, and I have heard that they do well in bathrooms!

I am far from an expert, but aloe vera plants do better in a steady temperature, so indoors is better unless we have a long warm/hot spell. They also like to be kept well drained and just moist, so when i forget to water mine for months and then drown them, they object!!!

I'm a big fan of Aloe Vera - my plant is 4 years old now - I have managed to kill most of my other houseplants (I dont think an A. V. would survive a frost), but Vera continues to thrive!!! As said prviously, don't drowned it and yes - an even temperature is best, mine is in a bright position, but not in full sun.

I cut a leaf when required, forcing out the gungy liquid and applying it to cuts, burns etc. I keep the leaf in the fridge for a few days, but then compost it as it dries out.

[SIZE=14pt]BEWARE[/SIZE] - my plant tastes absolutely disgusting (I have used it on bandaged limbs to stop the dogs chewing them off), but a friend has 2 plants - one is an offshoot from the other, one is foul tasting but the other one is not too bad!!

I would be grateful if anyone knows of other ways of using the plant.

I would use a special succulent plant potting mix, which is mostly coarse sand. I am sure it comes from some desert = dry and hot. We used to have them in large pots in our garden when i was a child, but they were brought indoors for winter.

Lida

I have several Aloe Vera plants, one from abroad that is huge and one I bought at a show that has now had many babies. I don't keep them in the garden as I live coastal and the wind here burns, so I have them in containers indoors. I only water them when I think they need it, otherwise they are quite dry. To use it on cuts or burns you have to cut the leaf of the plant and rub the oozing liquid on the wound and it works a treat

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back