The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Getting Rid Of Dog Urnine Smell

DomsMom

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
I picked my dog up from the groomers the other day, and apparently they hadn't taken him out to go potty the entire time he was there. I picked him up and he tried to run in the opposite direction the car was in (I am assuming now that he needed to pee) but I just thought that he didn't know where we were parked. Shortly after we got loaded up, he pee's all in the back seat of my BRAND NEW CAR! I know it wasn't his fault.

I have tried every 'home remedy' I can possible think of, laundry detergent, vinegar, febreeze, auto carpet cleaner..I have even aired out the car all day. But as soon as I get in it, and the febreeze has worn off, I smell dog PEE! I can't take the smell of it, not to mention the thought of the new car smell is now overwhelmed by pee. :(

Any helpful ideas? I just desperately want a clean smelling car again.

White vinegar is brilliant at getting rid of wee smells. Make sure its white though as normal brown vinegar will stain

There is a product available in the Pet Shops..I know Jolleys and Pets at Home stock it but not too sure about the smaller local ones? Anyway,it is fantastic!!! It is called basically "Pet Urine and Odour Remover" and comes in a white plastic bottle with a picture of a dog and a kitten on the front...this stuff really works! :thumbsup:

Last edited by a moderator:
Most of what I'd suggest you have already tried. :(

Bicarbonate of soday sprinkled over the area and left overnight might help. Hoover it up the next day. But usually I'd go for white vinegar or bio washing powder if it's wee.

Only other alternative is to have it professionally cleaned I guess. :blink:

I have used one called Simple Solution stain and odor remover (their spelling - not mine!! :blink: ) which is very good. Bought from Jolleys. :thumbsup:

Tina

Lavender& eucalyptus oil :thumbsup:

littlenell said:
I have used one called Simple Solution stain and odor remover (their spelling - not mine!! :blink: ) which is very good. Bought from Jolleys. :thumbsup: Tina

Yep,I have also used that one..it is v.good too.(I think it is spelt that way as it is an American product and that is their spelling of odor)

Groomer do tend to keep the dogs crated, so letting them have wee before putting them in the car is a good idea.

The problem is that the wee would have soaked deep into the upholstery and you are applying the deodorising products to the surface. Some of the wee may have also run under the seat. I would try to take the seat out, totaly saturate it in white vinegar from top as wel as underneath. You may be even able to hose it out. If you can do it in the morning of a hot day it should dry :luck: :luck: :luck:

you definately need to clean a lot deeper than the surface - i'd really soak the seat with whatever option you try then use a vax to suck as much of the dirty water and pee back out again

and repeat

and repeat

and repeat!

05whippet said:
There is a product available in the Pet Shops..I know Jolleys and Pets at Home stock it but not too sure about the smaller local ones? Anyway,it is fantastic!!! It is called basically "Pet Urine and Odour Remover" and comes in a white plastic bottle with a picture of a dog and a kitten on the front...this stuff really works!  :thumbsup:

It's a long story but one of my whippets pee'd on the back-seat of my car (they normally travel in the back) and it soaked into the seat.

I used this stuff mentioned above and literally soaked the wet patch deep into the seat, sponged some off and then soaked it again a couple of days later and then let it air-dry. It took a couple of weeks to dry properly. It really does work!!!

My dog had been at the vet and they hadn't taken her out either :angry: I did walk her round the car-park but she was too groggy to pee and then 'wet herself' in my lovely clean car.

Do give this stuff a try - I got it in 'Pets at Home' :thumbsup:

when my daughter was sick in my car :unsure: the smell was terrible :oops:

i used bicarbonate soda, mixed with warm water, sprayed it all over the seats and let it soak in :thumbsup:

hey presto smell gone :lol:

Some good advice on here... :cheers: well done folks....

I may need it at the moment :lol: :blink: :- "

zilloot said:
05whippet said:
There is a product available in the Pet Shops..I know Jolleys and Pets at Home stock it but not too sure about the smaller local ones? Anyway,it is fantastic!!! It is called basically "Pet Urine and Odour Remover" and comes in a white plastic bottle with a picture of a dog and a kitten on the front...this stuff really works!  :thumbsup:

It's a long story but one of my whippets pee'd on the back-seat of my car (they normally travel in the back) and it soaked into the seat.

I used this stuff mentioned above and literally soaked the wet patch deep into the seat, sponged some off and then soaked it again a couple of days later and then let it air-dry. It took a couple of weeks to dry properly. It really does work!!!

My dog had been at the vet and they hadn't taken her out either :angry: I did walk her round the car-park but she was too groggy to pee and then 'wet herself' in my lovely clean car.

Do give this stuff a try - I got it in 'Pets at Home' :thumbsup:

Yes we use/used this - it's good stuff! It's made by Shaws and they used to donate to P.A.T dogs with every purchase - they may well still do!

DomsMom said:
I picked my dog up from the groomers the other day, and apparently they hadn't taken him out to go potty the entire time he was there.  I picked him up and he tried to run in the opposite direction the car was in (I am assuming now that he needed to pee) but I just thought that he didn't know where we were parked.  Shortly after we got loaded up, he pee's all in the back seat of my BRAND NEW CAR!  I know it wasn't his fault.
I have tried every 'home remedy' I can possible think of, laundry detergent, vinegar, febreeze, auto carpet cleaner..I have even aired out the car all day.  But as soon as I get in it, and the febreeze has worn off, I smell dog PEE!  I can't take the smell of it, not to mention the thought of the new car smell is now overwhelmed by pee.  :(

Any helpful ideas?  I just desperately want a clean smelling car again.

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back