The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Greyhound Rescues Wanted For New Home

xEmiliex

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
I'm looking for a greyhound so far ive not had much luck? i'm looking for any age , male or female must be cat tested fine with other dogs and also children

can i please have all the rescues you know inc email,website,phone number thank you :)

there are a number or internet pages which list greyhound rescues, so I suggest you do a search on-line

it would also help if you say where you live as it is best to approach greyhound rescues near you (and also all-breed rescues which may have one or more greyhounds looking for a new home)

there are a number or internet pages which list greyhound rescues, so I suggest you do a search on-line it would also help if you say where you live as it is best to approach greyhound rescues near you (and also all-breed rescues which may have one or more greyhounds looking for a new home)

im in portsmouth the greyhound rescue near me doesn't cat test and i cant risk my cats

I don't know how far afield you want to look

these are the websites of two organisations I know of:

http://www.greyhoundgap.org.uk/index.php

http://www.grwe.com/

Kyle, Shady, Topper, Cleo, Mitch, & Niamh at Greyhound Rescue West of England are all reported to be cat trainable and it is clear that this organisation does routinely cat-test its dogs

Greyhound gap cat test their dogs and they have dogs all over the country.

What about this one

Norbet is a 7 month old extremely laid back greyhound puppy.

Norbet is a very special boy and will require a very special owner. This is because he has a persistent right aortic arch (a blood vessel that should have closed at birth), causing megaoesophagus. This means that his food needs to be liquidised and fed at worktop height so that he stands to eat it. His owner will need to be particularly vigilant in watching for signs of chest infections which can be caused by inhaling food, which he will be prone to.

Norbet is wonderful with other dogs - including puppies - and children and could easily learn to live with confident cats as his prey drive appears to be non-existent.

He is excellent on a lead, travels well in the car, seems to be housetrained and has good basic obedience.

All potential adopters will be home vetted and be expected to travel to Lizzie's Barn Sanctuary in Kidwelly, South Wales to meet/adopt this lovely boy. If you are interested in Blue, please send your enquiries, telling us all about yourselves and the lifestyle you are offering to rehoming.lizziesbarn@googlemail.com or telephone Fionna on 07976 538588.

Norbet has now had surgery to correct his throat problems and has recovered incredibly well

He is now more than ready to head off for his forever home. All we need now is for them to find him....

or

Reduced: 94% of original size [ 675 x 516 ] - Click to view full image

Lucy is a simply beautiful 8 year old Greyhound girl who came into Oldies Club care after being rescued as a stray in the north east of England. She is now in an Oldies Club foster home in St. Albans, Hertfordshire.

Lucy’s foster carers tell us:

Lucy is the ideal companion. She is gentle, very quiet and so undemanding but she enjoys your company when you are around. She is a perfect lady on the lead, always walking to heel without being told to and at whatever pace suits you. If you are not familiar with greyhounds, you may be surprised to know that they tend to be couch potatoes, happy to laze around most of the day and content with quite short walks. Lucy is very laid back and likes to take life easy but she can be quite playful with visiting dogs and she likes squeaky toys.

Greyhounds rarely bark and are therefore ideal if you who want a nice quiet dog. Lucy likes having people around but she can be left at home alone and is not destructive. She also travels well in a car if you want to take her with you, even on very long journeys.

Lucy has ear tattoos that indicate that she is a pedigree greyhound, born and registered in Ireland in 2001. As she was a stray, we don’t have any of her history before then but the Irish Stud register should have records of her earlier life that could be looked up.

Lucy has been vet-checked since coming into our care. She is spayed, vaccinated, microchipped, wormed and flea-treated. She was a kilogram underweight when she came to us but her foster carers have been building her back up to the correct weight and they tell us that her health and condition are very good.

Her foster carers continue:

She is well house-trained, making good use of short walks and the garden. There have been other dogs visiting recently, one staying for a week and Lucy got on with her well although she did keep stealing the visiting dog’s squeaky toy! There have also been other comings and goings in the house, including a 7-year old child.

Lucy takes an interest, usually checking to see whether visitors have any food for her, accepts a bit of stroking and fussing, then goes back into chilled-out mode.

Doesn’t she look and sound just perfect!

—————-

If you are interested in Lucy, please refer to our Adoption Procedures for information about the adoption process. You can then contact an Oldies Club rehoming co-ordinator as follows:

Email: rehome@oldies.org.uk

Telephone: 0844 586 8656

Lucy can be rehomed anywhere in the UK, subject to a satisfactory home visit, but note that you will be required to travel to the foster home to meet her.

Keep looking there are plenty of ex-racers who live quite happily with cats

celia cross has a few, just google celia cross rescue, and the website comes up,

i have had one from them years ago and they are lovely people,

failing that you could get one from the track they are easy to train not to chase cats

just start off with a muzzle if your cats are used to dogs then its eaiser

good luck

didn't I read in Lucy's thread on k9 that she wasn't reliable around cats? that's why I didn't suggest her

didn't I read in Lucy's thread on k9 that she wasn't reliable around cats? that's why I didn't suggest her

You are right, unfortunately Lucy has tested quite 'keen' with cats.

You are right, unfortunately Lucy has tested quite 'keen' with cats.
Sorry didn't notice that she looked so lovely, but have found Pearl on www.kentgreyhoundwelfare.co.uk definately says she is cat friendly

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back