The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Grieving desperately for my dog

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
Hi there. I have just joined this forum but your post after 6 years brought me to tears. I too had a 14 year old dog, who I lost with similar circumstances. I berated myself, would it have been different had my dog had a steroid injection, I was in great stress and had poor knowledge of the situation, I thought the antibiotics were working. However, this is not about me or even you by now but for anyone in this situation now. I think most of us don't have the quietly going to sleep and drifting into a peaceful permanent slumber provided by nature. We have to make a tough decision. Consequently we have much reflection afterwards. Those of us lucky enough to be there for that event must for our sanity remember, we were there, that was the upmost support to our loved ones. Those of us who couldn't, remember you provided love 24/7/365. At meltdown times, try to focus on the 'what we did do's' every day. Tansy

You poor poor thing. I have never lost a dog but reading your story broke my heart. This site has helped me with lots of worries and concerns with my dog and I am glad that you have discovered it, I am sure the lovely members on here will give you the support and advice you need right now.
I'm sure he heard your voice, he could smell your scent next to him and knew you were there until the end. Please try to focus on the fact that he is no longer is discomfort and no longer struggling. Your love for him will always be with you, he will always have a great big space in your heart and time will be a healer. Remember the amazing times you had together, the funny moments and the laughs.
You are very lucky to have had a georgous soul that made saying goodbye so very hard. He knew you loved him.
Your grief will be raw and I can only imagine how sad you are feeling. But although your grief will never leave you, it will change in it's heaviness and gradually you will be able to have thoughts about him and smile.
I know that you will be receiving lots of beautiful heartfelt messages on here, to help you get through the next few days, weeks and months. You are not alone.
Thankyou for sharing x

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back