The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Grieving Dog

Sally Penny

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
Having stumbled on this website, I was wondering if anyone can offer advice to help a twelve year old Westie who has just lost his life long mate.

Our other Westie had to be put to sleep two weeks ago, and since then Annie, the younger of the two appears to be suffering. When Chloe first died everyone was devastated, but we all tried our best not to grive in the presence of Annie. Annie carried on eating normally, but as time has gone on, she seems to have very nervous and at times roams the house like a lost soul, but will perk up come feeding time. However, as soon as she has eaten, she reverts to back to being nervous and frightened.
Annie has always been afraid of fireworks etc., and her behaviour now seems to be similar. She still enjoys going out for a walk, and had improved from the first few days, where she seemed to be waiting for he friend.
However, she doesn't seem happy in the house now, and to be honest we are at a loss as to how we can help her. We have tried not to over fuss her, thinking that maybe we could turn the situation into an attention seeking problem - but she is nothing like the dog she was, she doesn't bark anymore and seems totally disinterested in the neighbours dog.
Any help would be really appreciated.

Welcome @Sally Penny - I feel so sad for your Annie reading your message :-(

I’m afraid I haven’t experienced this situation only having one dog.She’s obviously feeling very depressed and lost without her best friend. Being two weeks ago it must still be very fresh for her (and you) and I guess time will be the main healer.

What’s was your daily set up? Did they sleep downstairs together? Do everything together? We’re they together when you worked? Etc

Some great advice givers on here.

Thanks for your kind words Josie - We all slept together on my bed, and when I was working, it was from home, so they were hardly ever left alone. Its very difficult to try and figure out how to help her - she has had brief spells of improvement, and then slid back again. Hopefully, someone more experienced than me can suggest a way forward.

I also haven't had experience of this, but my feeling is that two weeks is no time at all. She's eating, and enjoying her walks, which is very positive. She may simply need more time to go through the grieving process. But others may have suggestions to help her along the way.

My only suggestion was going to be let her sleep with you etc but as you do that already it is a void comment.

Do you have any friends with dogs she was close with? Maybe make some play dates? Might take her mind off of things.
May sound stupid but could you get her a cuddly toy westie she can snuggle with? Not sure if that would help or make worse...

Like humans, dogs do grieve. It's too late to change now but it sometimes helps if they see the body (you may have done this, I write it in case anyone searches this in future). All you can do, I believe, is the same as you would for a human friend. Be gentle and tolerant, take it at her pace, let her do what she gets pleasure from.

Sorry to hear about this. I can't add anything I'm afraid - I was going to suggest mixing with other dogs - but there are some good tips above.

I also haven't had experience of this, but my feeling is that two weeks is no time at all. She's eating, and enjoying her walks, which is very positive. She may simply need more time to go through the grieving process. But others may have suggestions to help her along the way.

Thanks for your reply Judy - I agree that eating and wanting to walk are very hopeful signs. Like you say, time should sort things out, just like it will with us, we are still a total mess at the moment. I suppose I am just eager to get my little dog back.

Thank for all the kind words and advice. I guess I'm being impatient - this morning however, she did approach a pack of dogs on her walk and didn't show any signs of being timid, so thats a good sign. She had been shying away from other dogs up until today. Better to let her find her own way through this, I'm sure we'll get there.

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back