The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Grisly alternative to a stick

Richard & Patsy

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
When deer are shot in Scotland they are gralloched (field dressed): removing the internal organs and sometimes the lower legs. On his forest walk today Sitka found the guts and legs of a recent kill and started eating. He wasn't happy about Patsy pulling him off it but we let him carry a leg for the mile back to the car.
Deer Leg.jpeg

One of ours occasionally finds cut off lower front legs, she always searches for nasty things to carry or eat (probably after poachers have been around). They are usually stinking!:eek: but she is very proud of them and enjoys the taste, most of the time we let her keep it. Sometimes we take it and say thank you, and then throw it away when she is not looking (probably to be found again at a later date).

That big old lump of a Leonberger cross I used to walk, was down the beach with his owner once where he found a giant half rotten fish, the best thing ever and he was not giving it up... he proceeded to amble along the busy promenade, on a sunny Sunday afternoon, throwing it up in the air and catching it and ragging it, bits flying off all over of course!!:eek: While his owner was desperately trying to pretend he was nothing to do with her!!:D:D

We didn't let him keep it. I have been watching YouTube videos by Primal Pack about the benefits of fur, feathers etc in a dog's diet but the strong smell put us off this time.

So he did! If it's any consolation, it is less decomposed, more recognisable, therefore far less gross than whatever the heck it was that Timber found on the beach this morning. And ate. Entirely.

10 hours later and his breath is still rank.

Lovely! It's moments like this you normally bump into a load of children and their middle-class parents....

Oh god I'd forgotten all about this aspect of living with dogs :rolleyes: Tina whippet was never really one for chasing other animals (she preferred human cuddles) but one walk at Boulmer beach she disappeared underneath a gorse bush and emerged with a dead rabbit! Normally she was very good at recalling to me but this time she was determined NOT to give up her prize and started tearing around on the beach and throwing the rabbit in the air. Luckily our Northumberland beaches tend to be pretty empty with just the occasional dog walker etc....but of course THIS particular afternoon there just happened to be a couple of women with three young children walking by. The two young girls, when they realised it was a fluffy bunny-wunny, screamed, the young boy laughed (!) and the two women gave me SUCH a look as if I was some sort of psychopathic bunny murderer!!! Tina at this point chose to run back to me and dropped said bunny at my feet, I automatically said ''Good girl'' (for coming back!) and leashed her. When I examined the rabbit it had myxomatosis really bad, poor thing......but of course by touching it I then got yet another horrified look off the women :eek:

Oh what joys will I have in store once we get our dog.....? :D

Saves on the feeding bills I suppose!

What an excellent find, plenty of nutritional value and entertainment while eating the bones. I would consider that a good wholesome days rations. Perfectly safe too.

Thank you all for putting a smile back on my face along with some perspective! My pup has recently escalated from eating horse and cow dung to dog pooh, so I was becoming very worried about this trend. You've made me realise it is normal, albeit disgusting, behaviour for a 5 month pup. But if any of you have tips for breaking this trend before its a habit, I'd be very grateful...his breath was so rank yesterday we could hardly stand to be in the same room! New photo though...

Attachments

• IMG_20210510_113451.jpg
    IMG_20210510_113451.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 138
Our lot are raw fed. They help themselves to small amounts of our Donkey poo, (it must be the right smell/texture though) they won't eat just any, they also like to eat rabbit poo. They tend not to eat other horse poo or deer or sheep poo.
There are certain breeds of dogs that can be affected by eating horse poo from animals that have been recently been wormed with the product "Ivermectin" .
Most likely breeds to be affected are sheepdog breeds.
Our dogs ages vary from 3 years to 11 years and they all do it when required.

I must add that I have never seen them eating any dog poo but they do love Human poo, (oh yuk) It's like a sticky toffee all around their teeth and tongue and then they expect a cuddle and to give kisseso_O. Cor blimey, filthy shitty stinking dogs, PHEW!!

We do love our dogs though:oops::rolleyes:

Thank you all for putting a smile back on my face along with some perspective! My pup has recently escalated from eating horse and cow dung to dog pooh, so I was becoming very worried about this trend. You've made me realise it is normal, albeit disgusting, behaviour for a 5 month pup. But if any of you have tips for breaking this trend before its a habit, I'd be very grateful...his breath was so rank yesterday we could hardly stand to be in the same room! New photo though...
Hi. A friend suggests live yoghurt - I don't know how much it would help, but it can't harm.

Please be careful with horse poo. If the horse has recently been wormed, it could be really harmful, especially if Ivermectin has been used and your dog has the MRD1 gene.

Wow thank you for the head's up everybody! I didn't know about the Ivermectin thing. I'm going to have to concentrate on some serious training as 12 hrs after eating the pooh he was really ill, with vomiting and diarrhoea. Seems OK now though, thankfully.

Do you know if she has the MRD1 gene?

If you don't know, it might be worth asking your breeder if they know whether her parents were carriers, or you could ask the vet to test for it if she has to have blood drawn for any reason. If she was mine, I don't think I'd have the blood test done just for the sake of it (unless she was about to be prescribed any of the meds that might make her ill) but if they were doing bloodwork anyway, they could run the test for that too.

Edit - meant to add this - Multi-Drug Resistance Gene (MDR1)

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back