The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Harness to control difficult dogs

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
I have tried Haltis but my dogs hated them, Ronan goes ballistict wearing his.

But I borrowed what I discovered was a Gentle Controller (tradename Gencon!) from Oxana and BINGO ....................absolutely marvellous. My two 'power walkers' now both wear one and they accepted it so easily and are obviously comfortable about wearing it. It also seems to calm them and Bertha does not now shout & roar at other dogs or cats and even stood quietly whilst I whizzed her nails, normally I have a wrestling match with her!

Can thoroughly recommend them. You can buy them just as a 'headcollar' or an all-in-one, i.e. it has its own lead.

Herewith the link for the lady who actually makes them

Gentle Controllers

My six did this once and I just sat down in the road and waited for the cat to run away. It was that or they were going to pull me over. Four yelling whippets, one screaming iggie and one bemused labrador sitting beside me taking the opportunity to wash my face. Thank god there were no houses or neighbours around! :b :lol:

I don't know how I solved it but one growl from me now and they all shut up :oops:

zilloot said:
My six did this once and I just sat down in the road and waited for the cat to run away.  It was that or they were going to pull me over.  Four yelling whippets, one screaming iggie and one bemused labrador sitting beside me taking the opportunity to wash my face.  Thank god there were no houses or neighbours around! :b   :lol:
I don't know how I solved it but one growl from me now and they all shut up :oops:

Funnily enough I growl at my lot & it shuts them up too :D

I can see it now some do gooder calling the plod and a helicopter and firearms unit turning up and finding someone shooting a water pistol at a dog :blink: :blink: :blink:

wonder what the national headlines would be lets have some, who can come up with a corker....

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm using a two pronged approach with Digit - a very loud shakey tin to distract him (pennies in an old metal mustard tin) if he's started barking before i've noticed the trigger (dog, cat, paper bag)

if i spot it first i start up a high pitched squeaky monologe of 'with me, Digit with me, with me, come on, with me'

I struck on with me because i don't feel silly saying it! as soon as he is focussing on me he gets super treats (cheese in his case or puffed jerky) and lots of 'good boy' stuff

any time he is ignoring other dogs etc i reinforce what a good boy he is and give treats.

I'm going to be progressing onto a spray collar soon so i can have him off the lead again - will be sure to report back on how that goes

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back