The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

He`s Sick Again

sassy

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
Once again saffi is poorly , just finished his antibiotics last friday and he seemed really perky ( remember he got better as soon as he got back from the vets) well yestetrday he went downhill really quickly, phoned vets who said to take him in today. they took bloods an did more tests. His temp was very high and they kept him in till results of bloods came back.Not sure if i understand this right but apparently he has a very high white blood cell count which means he is fighting an infection. The vet thinks its bacterial and that the last antibiotics where not strong enough to completely kill the bacteria so has given more aggressive antibiotics for the next ten days. Saffi is home now, but still quite poorly and very lathargic ( he`s a labrador.... labradors do not do lathargic so he is really quite ill bless him.

If there is no improvement in his drink intake in the next two days we have to take him back. Im really concerned as this is the third time in a couple of months that he has been like this ( my first post and introduction to this site was about the first time he was poorly ) Its really strange cos he gets well, back to the normal boisterous mischievious lovable little rogue that he is and then suddenly goes down hill.

The vet did say he could have picked this up off one of his walks or out of a bin...... saffi has never raided a bin and we always take care on his walks about what and where he`s sniffing etc. Im just very concerned and worried about my puppy ( well he`s one year old on saturday but he`s still my puppy)

thanks for letting me rant on here xxx

Image_329_.jpg

I am so sorry to hear that Saffi is unwell again,it obviously must a very virulent strain he has managed to pick up.I am sorry I have no advice to give you other than try and keep positive (I know easier said than done) I really hope these new anti-b's get to work fast and he makes a full recovery very soon. ;)

All my best to the lovely lad. :luck: :luck: :huggles:

Oh bless...he must be feeling under the weather :(

Just wonder if you think it may be an idea to add a couple tablespoons of natural yogurt in with his meal each day....anti-b's are great at killing good and bad bacteria :- "

One of mine was on anti-b's for several weeks and thats what I did....mind you the vet didn't think it would help :- "

I just like to help my mutts in a natural way if I can...and personally I think it helped to balance his body.

Good luck.

Sorry to hear about Saffi. Sometimes one course of antibiotics is not enough to totally kill off whatever it is and a second course is needed. They can appear to get better but then revert when the antibiotics stop. (Similar to us - that is why they always say finish the full course of antibiotics even if you feel better). Also the first antibiotic they give is usually a general one that covers alot of things - sometimes they have to do more tests to get an antibiotic that is more specific.

Dogs, like us, when they get an infection of any kind produce lots of white blood cells (the red blood cells carry oxygen, the white blood cells are like little soldiers and fight any infection - if you get a cut or anything they rush to that area and fight all the baddies). If he had alot of the white blood cells it shows that his immune system is fighting something.

Keep him warm, dry and safe (any stress is not good if you are ill). Offer him water frequently - even if he only takes a couple of laps at a time it is something. Same with food. Basically nurse him like you would nurse a person, this will help his immune system fight off whatever it is.

Explain your fears to the vet next time you see them, remind them that this is the third time in a short period that he has been ill.

Also, are you still in touch with his breeder? Might be worth contacting them - you never know, they may be able to throw some light on it.

Hope he is better soon.

Sorry to hear Saffi is poorly & I hope he recovers quickly :huggles: :luck:

Michelle

kita said:
Sorry to hear about Saffi.  Sometimes one course of antibiotics is not enough to totally kill off whatever it is and a second course is needed.  They can appear to get better but then revert when the antibiotics stop.  (Similar to us - that is why they always say finish the full course of antibiotics even if you feel better).  Also the first antibiotic they give is usually a general one that covers alot of things - sometimes they have to do more tests to get an antibiotic that is more specific.
Dogs, like us, when they get an infection of any kind produce lots of white blood cells (the red blood cells carry oxygen, the white blood cells are like little soldiers and fight any infection - if you get a cut or anything they rush to that area and fight all the baddies).  If he had alot of the white blood cells it shows that his immune system is fighting something.

Keep him warm, dry and safe (any stress is not good if you are ill).  Offer him water frequently - even if he only takes a couple of laps at a time it is something.  Same with food.  Basically nurse him like you would nurse a person, this will help his immune system fight off whatever it is.

Explain your fears to the vet next time you see them, remind them that this is the third time in a short period that he has been ill.

Also, are you still in touch with his breeder?  Might be worth contacting them - you never know, they may be able to throw some light on it.

Hope he is better soon.

i agree with all advice given especially yoghurt, ive found it helps. sometimes a small amount of honey in boiled and cooled water helps. if he wont drink it then syringe a small amount every couple of hours. this will stop dehydration and give him a little nourishment. what do you feed normally? is he allergic to anything? does he ever have loose stools for no apparent reason? try not to worry and im sure he will be ok

jayp said:
kita said:
Sorry to hear about Saffi.  Sometimes one course of antibiotics is not enough to totally kill off whatever it is and a second course is needed.  They can appear to get better but then revert when the antibiotics stop.  (Similar to us - that is why they always say finish the full course of antibiotics even if you feel better).  Also the first antibiotic they give is usually a general one that covers alot of things - sometimes they have to do more tests to get an antibiotic that is more specific.
Dogs, like us, when they get an infection of any kind produce lots of white blood cells (the red blood cells carry oxygen, the white blood cells are like little soldiers and fight any infection - if you get a cut or anything they rush to that area and fight all the baddies).  If he had alot of the white blood cells it shows that his immune system is fighting something.

Keep him warm, dry and safe (any stress is not good if you are ill).  Offer him water frequently - even if he only takes a couple of laps at a time it is something.  Same with food.  Basically nurse him like you would nurse a person, this will help his immune system fight off whatever it is.

Also, are you still in touch with his breeder?  Might be worth contacting them - you never know, they may be able to throw some light on it.

Hope he is better soon.

i agree with all advice given especially yoghurt, ive found it helps. sometimes a small amount of honey in boiled and cooled water helps. if he wont drink it then syringe a small amount every couple of hours. this will stop dehydration and give him a little nourishment. what do you feed normally? is he allergic to anything? does he ever have loose stools for no apparent reason? try not to worry and im sure he will be ok

thanks for the replies, normally saffi has pedigree complete, occasionally fresh chicken and doggy treats, he doesnt eat rice cos he doesn`t like it nor egg. He does not appear to be allergic to anything, usually has a good but not greedy appetite and usually always drinks plenty of water. I will definately try the yogurt as i know he does like this though at this moment in time is refusing all food but we have managed to get a little fluid into him. His stools are always "normal" but he hasn`t been for a poo since he became poorly though he is peeing ok but not a lot.

His breeder is a family friend who is just as concerned as us but we know there definately is not a prob there.

He remains very lathargic and low, also much clingier than usual (which is ok cos i wont leave him while he is poorly) just gonna give him lotsa extra T.L.C. and hope the antibiotics kick in soon.

once agin many thanks for listening xxx

Image_354_.jpg

Sorry - didn't mean to imply there could be a problem with his breeding - just that sometimes if a breeder has been breeding for a lot of years they often know more than some vets!! Many of them have their own little 'tricks' to help poorly dogs.

My old boy (ten) picked up something last April, I really thought I was loosing him. He did not eat or drink for three days and didn't want to go out - he went out once one day and had a long wee just outside the door. He hates the vet and taking into account his age I didn't see the point in dragging him there - the visit would probably have killed him! Anyhow after three days of me trying to tempt him with all manner of food, in the evening he had a piece of honey roast ham! He got slowly better, about three weeks later he had a week of weeing blood, this cleared up (again without any intervention by vets) and now he is virtually back to normal. Don't know what it was, he is always on a lead. It was obviously something he picked up (probably through sniffing lamp posts etc!).

If your boy does not start eating and drinking by tomorrow afternoon I would give the vets a ring. Antibiotics should really kick in within 24 hours. If he gets too dehydrated he will find it hard to fight anything.

Hope he is feeling better soon - it is awful when they are not well - I have been known to drop a jeans size when one of my dogs is ill!!

I do hope your boy feels better soon. Have you thought about alternative medicines to help boost his immune system in general? Might be worth looking into.

:luck:

poor saffi,hope this treatment does the trick :thumbsup:

get well soon little boy :wub:

Then, of course, he may have picked up a virus which antibiotics will not touch at all! I suspect that if he perked up so quickly after going to the Vet the last time that they actually gave him a steroid injection, which would have that effect, and that he may need of course of Pred rather than ABs to knock whatever it is on the head. Good luck with him anyway, hope he improves soon.

jayp said:
kita said:

Hope he is better soon.

Yoghurt is something all my Whippets get,I use the organic probiotic one and they all seem to eat much better on it. :D

Sorry to hear Saffi is having a rough time, it's such a worry when they are ill :huggles:

Everything crossed that he's on the mend soon :luck:

dessie said:
Then, of course, he may have picked up a virus which antibiotics will not touch at all!  I suspect that if he perked up so quickly after going to the Vet the last time that they actually gave him a steroid injection, which would have that effect, and that he may need of course of Pred rather than ABs to knock whatever it is on the head.  Good luck with him anyway, hope he improves soon.

He was given an injection the last time we went i just assumed it was an antibiotic maybe it was steroid. Again this time they gave him an injection and again assumed it was antibiotic . they have also put him on "marbocyl/antimicrobial" x3 @20mg =60mg.

Good news though is that he has managed a small chicken breast and also some probiotic yogurt. Had to hand feed him though as he seems reluctant to put his head down when in a standing position. Still very concerned but am happy he has managed a little food. Thats got to be a good sign.

Am so very grateful for this site and all your comments and concerns bless you all :)

saffi2.jpg

sassy said:
dessie said:
Then, of course, he may have picked up a virus which antibiotics will not touch at all!  I suspect that if he perked up so quickly after going to the Vet the last time that they actually gave him a steroid injection, which would have that effect, and that he may need of course of Pred rather than ABs to knock whatever it is on the head.  Good luck with him anyway, hope he improves soon.

He was given an injection the last time we went i just assumed it was an antibiotic maybe it was steroid. Again this time they gave him an injection and again assumed it was antibiotic . they have also put him on "marbocyl/antimicrobial" x3 @20mg =60mg.

Good news though is that he has managed a small chicken breast and also some probiotic yogurt. Had to hand feed him though as he seems reluctant to put his head down when in a standing position. Still very concerned but am happy he has managed a little food. Thats got to be a good sign.

Am so very grateful for this site and all your comments and concerns bless you all :)

View attachment 38699

Oh I am so happy that he has at least attempted to eat something,that means he is heading in the right direction :D Lots of hugs to him :huggles:

sassy said:
Am so very grateful for this site and all your comments and concerns bless you all  :)

View attachment 38699

Try raising his bowl to elbow/chest height by putting it on something or buying a proper food bowl stand. Sounds as though he aches or has a stiff neck. I would be very concerned if it was my dog ........... it still smacks of some form of immuno-deficiency to me.

well after a bad night and a tough morning saffi has eaten a bit more , is drinking well and just a short while ago with a little wag of his tail ventured to his favourite playball and brought it to us to play, we threw the ball , he looked at it , looked at us as if to say "what ya want me to get it........ but im poorly" then trundled after it, not with his normal gusto but wagging his tail and gently run back with it. My puppy is almost back ...thank God. Early days and he is definately not 100% but is on the right side of recovery i feel. Will take him back to vets for a check up after his antibiotics course is over just for good measure and to make sure there is no underlying cause of this repeated virus. ( keeping fingers crossed that these antibiotics are strong enough to do the job and will ask the vet about ammuno deficiency and if he thinks this is the problem.

once more i thank you all :)

saffi2.jpg

Oh poor Saffi - i have not looked in for a few days so did not realise that he was unwell again :(

Hopefully now he has a little food in his tum he will start to feel a little better.

When Talulla was poorly we supported her with Homeopathy alongside the conventional medicines - it really seemed to help. I am lucky that one of my great friends is a Homeopathic vet :))

It may be worth seeing if there is someone in your area???

Get well soon gorgeous little guy

lots of doggy hugs

Tracy and Talulla :wub:

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back