The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Hello Everyone!! Newbie Here Hello Hello

Rachelle

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
Hello eveyone!... Im am new to this forum, my name is Rachelle, I will be picking up my little blue whippet puppy tomorrow.. Im soooooooooo excited, she will be around 8 weeks old.. I have a question.. as to bed time, I am thinking about having her to sleep upstairs with me???, despite my husbands objections.. he has no say in the matter,haha.. the main reason is because of the cats, who come in and out during the night, not sure how they would be around my little puppy (plus one of them has a thing about peeing on fleece blankets, I refuse to buy cat litter when they are capable of going outside).. Basically, Im worried my puppy may poo and wee all over the bed and carpet?... Can anyone give me advice? I bought some puppy training pads, if I lay one on the floor is she likely to use it??.. as you can tell, she will be my first puppy!! Thaaanks Rach x

Hi and welcome. ;)

The best advice I can give is, 'start as you mean to go on'. A crate in the bedroom may be a good start, and then you can eventually move the crate out of the bedroom. In this way you can safely confine the pup and let it out for the loo when it needs to go (otherwise it will probably wee in your bedroom). You'll be getting up early for a while for toilet breaks. I'm not a fan of puppy pads as they encourage indoor toiletting and it can be difficult to eventually break the habit. Start off by taking the pup out at regular intervals into the garden, (every hour or so during the day if you're around and after meals) and get it used to a command (timing is crucial) so it will go to the loo when you ask it. Lots of praise when it performs. This can take time , some learn faster than others, but really pays off eventually

Have a look at the FAQ section...there's lots of good advice on there.

Good luck and keep up posted. :luck:

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi and Welcome to K9. Lucky you having a lovely Blue whippet... :wub:

I agree with Nicola.....a crate is a brilliant investment...Id never had one till I got Oscar in 2004 and theyve been brilliant for me

introducing cats to whippets...as I have 3 cats too. Also taking the puppy outside after each meal...and learning it to go outside asap

by gently praising when hes done his business outside, although its inevitable that one or two accidents will occur... ;)

All my dogs sleep in a large utility room where they have there own sofa to share....but I also put the crate in there too for each pup, and

have gradually left the door open as they got older. Its a lovely safe place for them to sleep and call their own.

No harm in having the puppy in the same room as you till he gets settled, but it may be hard to break the habit when he is older.

Best of luck, I hope all goes well... :luck: when you look back you will wonder where the puppy stage went,.

Good luck with your new baby - look forward to seeing pictures. No other advice to add, except to say 'expect it to be hard work at first'! But remember that you are laying the foundations for a happy life together and it is worth putting in plenty of effort. Welcome to K9 forum :thumbsup:

Hi and welcome you must be so excited about getting your little puppy! Hope you will post lots of pictures of her. Penny is our first and only dog so I don't have much experience to help you, but when we got her at 8 weeks we had a crate for her. Since the day we got her she has never done the toilet in the house (after my mum buying in lots of cleaning prodcuts and a new mop!) or destroyed anything. When she done her first pee outside we gave her lots of praise and from then on she knew to go to the back door to get out.

During the day when we were in the crate door was always left open and when we nipped out a message and at night it was closed, she actually loved her crate and had no problems with it. After a short while we got rid of the crate and got her a big dog bed she now sleeps in that in my room at night. I know some people do have problems with puppies doing the toilet in the house, I would just constantly keep and eye on her and any signs she might need to go pop her outside and give her lots of praise when she goes :))

Good luck with her :thumbsup:

Thank you everyone!! I think I will buy a crate, I wasnt sure about them to behonest.. I just phoned about my pup and I can pick her up today!! Yippeeee!! I will be posting lots of pictures!! :D thanks again :thumbsup: Rach x

Hi and welcome. Lots of pics of your new whippet please, it's such a lovely time so relax and enjoy him/her. I have three dogs plus two cats and wouldn't be without my two crates for all the reasons stated by the others. Wouldn't ever have one of mine in the bedroom at night (a personal thing) and have never had a problem settling down any of my three dogs (2 I've had since 8/10 weeks and my little rescue whippet x since about 1 year old). Not a fan of paper or pads either, just watch puppy like a hawk, regular garden visits, lots of praise and even treats when he performs. When he does pee, use a word to mark it and you'll eventually be able to get him to pee almost on command - mine all do. Cats and dogs can get along with careful, slow introductions but always leave an escape route for the cat. At night, my cats sleep in the laundry room in their own baskets but in the day they are often found curled up with the dogs - especially in winter in front of the fire. Good luck, keep us posted.

Hi and welcome Rachelle :thumbsup: :thumbsup: ................Look forward in seeing your blue whippet pup,bet you are very excited :teehee: :teehee: :teehee: :teehee:

Hi and welcome

I have not had experience with puppies but when my rescues come to me they spend the first 2 - 3 weeks in a crate in my room (groundfloor). The crate then goes in the dog bedroom at the back of the house and eventually my pack including the newbie sleep together in their own room.

I do not allow my dogs upstairs as there is loads of space on the ground floor. They learn this very quickly and I use a board across the stair to get the message across when there is a new arrival. I would suggest that if you wish puppy to live on the ground floor only that you carry her up and down stairs to her bed (will also prevent accidents when she is small). I would move the crate downstairs during the day so that she is used to sleeping in it there too. It will be easier in the long run if you intend to have her sleeep downstairs.

Whippet owners are fairly split into 3 types :) Those who have their dogs in their beds :D , Those whose dogs sleep in a designated room that is their own o:) and those that keep their whippets outdoors ;)

Hope all goes well with the new arrival. Looking forwards to seeing the photos soon

Congratulations on your new addition, such an exciting time, it makes me want another puppy. Mine has just turned 6 months and it is amazing how quickly the time flies so appreciate the early stages.

I have never let mine sleep upstairs with me, I thought long term she would be better off downstairs as that’s where she is left when I go to work, (having them in your room could also be a bit of a passion killer :wub: ). As others have stated a crate is often a good way to start, however it doesn’t seem to work on every occasion, I started off with Mae in a crate and had to listen to 3 nights of incessant crying (it broke my heart to leave her), on the 4th night I simply left the crate open and put her dog bed in the room and have not heard a peep since, it appears she just didn’t like the crate (strange dog).

The only other bit of advice I will give from someone currently going through it, is to bare in mind that whippet puppies can be quite destructive in the early stages, for example Mae killed one of my flip flops for me last night (well it was a very threatening flip flop :blink: ), so make sure things you want to remain in one piece are out of reach. Whippets are so quiet items of clothing, shoes or basically anything that could possibly be chewed will disappear without you realising it.

Have great fun, cant wait to see pictures :thumbsup:

I'm one of those whippet owners who lets the puppy sleep with me in bed :thumbsup:

Never had any problems and they have all slept through the night with no mess or noise at all.

As they grow older they choose where they want to sleep as they have the run of the house overnight. Some sleep on the sofas, some in or on bed and some in the dogs beds which are provided in every room.

Not everybody's cup of tea but we're happy with it and so are the whippets :D

I'm one of those whippet owners who lets the puppy sleep with me in bed :thumbsup:
Never had any problems and they have all slept through the night with no mess or noise at all.

As they grow older they choose where they want to sleep as they have the run of the house overnight. Some sleep on the sofas, some in or on bed and some in the dogs beds which are provided in every room.

Not everybody's cup of tea but we're happy with it and so are the whippets :D

I'm with you on this one..mine all sleep where ever they fancy..and that does mean I occasionally wake up with a paw up my nose!!

ahh I can feel your excitment from here.We brought our little blue whippet home at 8 weeks.From day one he slept in his crate in the kitchen.We have two cats.(who walk around the house in the night and don't bother him.)All we did was buy some trainer pads and place them at one side of the crate,his comfy bed and teddies (bless lol) at the other.I used to have to keep getting up a few times in the night until his bladder got stronger.He never wet the bed and I did hear that dogs don't normally.I must say the first time I came down to a dry pad was joyfull lol.I know how you feel but believe me she will be ok.....Stanley used to cry when we left him but soon got used to it.I tell you what I used to do as well leave the kitchen TV on low too.But there again I'm a softy.He is now 11 months old and not a minutes trouble at night,it has been along process but well worth it.Now if I could just stop the 6pm attacks lol (w00t) good luck looking forward to seeing some pics :thumbsup:

Now if I could just stop the 6pm attacks lol (w00t) good luck looking forward to seeing some pics :thumbsup:
You get 6pm attacks too? :wacko: (w00t)

Toddy is 2 in September and we are still harassed between 5pm and 6pm (w00t)

Now if I could just stop the 6pm attacks lol (w00t) good luck looking forward to seeing some pics :thumbsup:
You get 6pm attacks too? :wacko: (w00t)

Toddy is 2 in September and we are still harassed between 5pm and 6pm (w00t)
Mae seems to be confused about the 6pm attack thing she is declaring war on me at 6am when I am trying to get ready for work, one confused little whippet :p , maybe I should try telling her she has the wrong 6 o'clock.

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back