The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Hello, I'm a new puppy owner and I'm looking for some advice about my Whippet puppy please

Deborah Bennett

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
Our Whippet puppy is six months old and when we take him out for walks he does the runniest poops which make it really difficult to clean up afterwards. He does normal poops in the garden it's just while we're out and about. Has anyone got experience of this or any advice please?

My lurcher's garden poos are much better than his afternoon walk poos - I reckon all that excitements shifts food theough their system too quickly.

What do you food your whippet - make and specific variety?

He has Wainwrights dried puppy food.
Not sure it's the food, as it happens whatever time of day we take him out.

The food could have some effect on what comes out though - and how much comes out - even if his digestive system does go into overdrive when he's on a walk. Wainwrights do different dry puppy foods - is the one you're using grain free? Grain acts pretty much as a filler, so often results in more poo. Raw meat diets are renowned for producing smaller, less frequent, firmer poos so may be worth considering.

If he has a calm on-lead walk are his poos better? Or, being a 6-month-old whippet, does this never happen? ;-)

I'm not an expert, though, so it might be best to have a word with your vet (you can probably get an online/phone appointment). Just be aware that they may want to move him to a 'prescription diet' which might not be needed, and they may also be against raw feeding - the nutritional training that vets get is limited so many are unwilling to recommend it.

I had one where he couldn't handle the treats I was using while training. First poo was sloppy,he was getting rid of the treats. The second one was normal which was his food. I changed the treats and everything went back to normal.

May have nothing to to do with your dogs problem but it's just a thought.

My Whippets poos are normally good, but when I took her to racing, (wonder if she will ever get the chance to go again), if she did a poo before then it was firm. But if she did one after a run it was very sloppy. I can only assume it was a combination of the exercise and the adrenaline. So its possible your pup is the same.

My Whippets poos are normally good, but when I took her to racing, (wonder if she will ever get the chance to go again), if she did a poo before then it was firm. But if she did one after a run it was very sloppy. I can only assume it was a combination of the exercise and the adrenaline. So its possible your pup is the same.

They race whippets 10 mins away from me

Rinkydinkydo, I'm happy with my local club, its just with the COVID-19 restrictions coming after a wet Autumn we have only managed two days racing since early October. It is a very enjoyable day when we go though, dogs all excited and loving it. I tend to think my Folly does not blink when we are there in case she misses something. Over the years their have been the odd people come to watch and they are always impressed.

Deborah Bennett, He is a Whippet and they all love to run, and watching them really stretch out is a joy. Well it is to me anyway.

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back