The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Hello - opinions sought from dog owners.

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
My 2 cents on engaging the owner - I would probably just ask for a favor. Suggesting that you need dog company, rather than that the dog needs more human interaction.. "Hanging out with your dog is really great for me, would you mind if I taker her out for a walk with me every now and then?" Hopefully agreeing will actually make him feel good.

Yes, thats a good angle. Thanks.

I could also use that as a way in to eventually requesting to take her with me when I leave perhaps. That might be her best pathway to adoption.

Hi all, Merry Christmas and just a quick update for anyone interested.

After spending Christmas cat sitting for my brother I returned home yesterday. The owner has gone away for a week with her children and a lovely dog sitter has moved into the house. We had a candid conversation about the dog and she confirmed everything I was thinking. She seemed to think the dog was in a bad way physically and couldn't believe a border collie was being crated virtually 23/7. She also thinks the crate is to small for the dog, especially with the food and water bowl inside. It seems the owner hadn't given the dog sitter much instruction so she's been treating the dog as she normally would - taking the dog out virtually all day for activities (I suspect she may be juggling other bookings tbh as she didn't seem to keen on my request to meet them for a walk in the afternoon) and allowing her the freedom to roam the downstairs house in the evenings. She confirmed the dog was a bit nervous in certain situations whilst outside the house but its good news that she's getting out and being stimulated, meeting other dogs, etc.

This is great but obviously I can see trouble ahead. The dogs demeanour has changed quite a bit and quite frankly I'm not sure I could cope seeing her crated 23/7 again once the owner returns, even if I were to be walking her a few times a day she'd essentially be back to living in a cage. This will put me in a really awkward and emotional position. I was minded to take the 'stealth' approach by opinions expressed here and from others, working with the dog and trying to winkle her away from the owner when I leave, but I think the situation is very quickly slipping out of my hands. It seems the need to have a conversation with the owner when she returns is increasingly unavoidable, and that the best thing all round will be to get the dog re-homed. If thats the case I'm really hoping the dog sitter will back me up. What a difficult situation to be in.

You can contact Josie from admin.
Here you will be able to talk privately with Josie.

Hover over the above envelope, top right hand side of screen, click on conversation, click "start new conversation", Participants; enter @ Josie, Conversation title; your choice!!!

Personally I dislike cages, simply for the reasons that you have raised in messages above, however, I realise that they do have their uses (for short spells only)

Last edited:
Could you discuss with the dog sitter the best way to approach this? The dog sitter will have experience that the owner might respect, and if she says that the dog had free range of the house and was well behaved and much happier for it, the owner might be prepared to try... and you can confirm that you'd love to help with the walking/entertaining (make it seem as if the owner would be doing you a favour, by helping you get fit or whatever).

Good luck, whatever you decide.

It sounds like, if the dog sitter thinks there is a problem, she should, as a professional, be discussing her concerns about the dog with the owner, or informing the appropriate authorities. The sitter is, I assume, taking money for her services, and would be party to neglect if she thinks the dog is in poor condition and living in an unsuitable environment..

Hi all,

just an update on this situation. I've been walking the dog twice a day for about 2 months now, and she spends the evenings / nights with me in my room. I purchased a little dog bed for her to sleep on and she cuddles up with me to watch TV in the evening. As I do a physical job in London its been quite knackering! And also quite time consuming. This whole episode has turned my life upside down and it struck me there had to be an end game in all this. The dog has become quite attached to me and to prolong my stay with no resolution would be unfair so I've found somewhere to move on to in 2 or 3 weeks and when informing my landlady of my impending move I raised the issue of the dog with her. I tactfully raised my concerns and suggested she re-home the dog. She didn't like this idea but when I suggested I could take the dog with me she seemed to warm to that. Whether she finally decides to let me have her I don't know but I can't take her to where I'm going on to as my new landlady has a giant Malumute. Official re-homing would be difficult with legal consent, etc and the fact she'll have to go in to kennels which I wouldn't be keen on so I'm currently sounding out possible alternatives. If anyone in the Surrey area thinks they'd like to re-home a Border Collie, aged 4 or 5, or has any suggestions for me on how to find her a new home, if I can get her out, then please PM me.

I'm not very comfortable knowing about this. Putting your good intentions to one side it sounds like you are going to allow your landlady to think you are taking responsibility for her dog but in fact you are going to rehome her without the owner's knowledge or consent. I sympathise but this doesn't sit well with me.

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back