The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Hello - Sorry For The Late Intro From Me!

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
Wow thats really great reading :D

Gem & Kim were gorgeous :wub: :wub:

And WOW, I can't believe you got Shadow at 20 days - how did that come about?? Anyway it looks like you did a fine job, he is a handsome lad - and how cute in that baby pic :wub: :wub:

Well done with Shadow Sally - youve done a brilliant job there. :cheers: :thumbsup: a Credit to you. :thumbsup:

Hi Sally,

Welcome to K9 to yourself and Shadow. It was lovely to hear about Gem and Kim.

In the book The Whippet by JP Moran-Healy there is a piece about Pearl of Akonyte including a lovely head study. She was a very good brood bitch and appears in the pedigree of lots of many very successful show dogs. If you can get a copy it's a tremendous book with loads of brilliant photographs.

Jenny

SallyC said:
You DID ask - and I love to share these old photos with you.  Hope you don't mind.
How could we mind! What interesting stories behind your dogs. And a real success with rearing Shadow. Welcome to k9 - look forward to seeing and hearing lots more from you! Errm ... Shadow might be lonely ... do you think it might be time for another one? :b :D

Welcome to K9 Sally and Shadow thanks for sharing those lovely pics :wub: :wub:

lovely pics :thumbsup: I love that tangle of blues on the sofa :wub:

Pearl of Akonyte eh! Over to you then I think Dawn for a 'bit' of background on her. ;)

Lovely photos of lovely dogs Sally.

Juley, I've just seen the photo of you with Chelsea on another thread and think she's just got to be related to Gem - they could be sisters (apart from the several generations age-gap, of course!)

Excuse for another photo of her to show the similarity. (Don't worry - I've got loads more where these came from!)

Gem_on_chair.jpg

BeeJay said:
Pearl of Akonyte eh!  Over to you then I think Dawn for a 'bit' of background on her.  ;)
Lovely photos of lovely dogs Sally.

Pearl was before my time I'm afraid.

She was Richard & Carol (his 1st wife's) dog. A beautiful dog with a lovely red-brindle coat who just loved showing herself off. She had charisma and really shone in the show ring. Unfortunately circumstances dictated that she had to leave AKONYTE and went to Jim Barker (CHILKA) on condition she was mated to Ros (Oakbark Middleman) and the rest (as they say) is history. Jim kept a bitch Chilka Dairy Maid which, when mated to Ch. Nevedith Uptown Guy, produced Nutshell of Nevedith the top CC winning bitch in the UK.

When Richard, Carol and Phil went to see the litter; Jim, who also bred exhibition bantams, left Pearl alone with some of the birds. When he went back into the garden he didn't have quite as many birds as before :oops: - Pearl had struck .

A lovely memorable dog.

Richard lost (almost) all photos of his dogs in the 80's so the pics of AKONYTE dogs on our website are few and far between. Any donations gratefully accepted :D We recently had a scanned picture of Elderberry of Akonyte (from Mike Howgate), along with her stud book certificate, which unfortunately isn't quite good enough quality to post anywhere.

Oakbark Middleman is my Kobis grandfather and also my old dog Chip - his great great grandfather I think (will have ANOTHER LOOK AT PED) :thumbsup: does that mean we are related then Sally ?? :lol:

Last edited by a moderator:
Janimal said:
  does that mean we are related then Sally ??
Oh I do hope so! I just love your dogs and all their adventures.

(I suspect all brindles have Charmoll Mactavish in their pedigrees somewhere - just like the Darley(?) Arabian).

dawn said:
Jim kept a bitch Chilka Dairy Maid which, when mated to Ch. Nevedith Uptown Guy, produced Nutshell of Nevedith the top CC winning bitch in the UK.

I wasn't sure of the name of the puppy the Barkers kept. This photo was taken when we took Gem back to see them the following year - so guess this is the great Chilka Dairy Maid, on the left. ( I remember them saying they kept this one because she was marked just like a Boston terrier, which they also bred).

gem_and_sis.jpg

(I was trying to make Gem stand properly - and failing miserably. She would never have won an obedience class)

:rolleyes:

Hello Sally, welcome on K9 ! Your dogs are beautiful :b Shadow has a nice colour !

Can't wait to see more pictures of them...

Greetings from Belgium

Hi Sally, :D welcome to k9, im new too.

Lovely pics of yours dogs and interesting reading the history! :D :) :D :) :D

the pics of AKONYTE dogs on our website are few and far between. Any donations gratefully accepted

Here's one of a pregnant Pearl (with me) taken in May 1983

pearl___me.jpg

And another taken at the same time with PennyRoyal of Chilka (and my husband)

pearl___penny.jpg

Pearl with some of her pups born 14 June 1983

pearl_and_pups2.jpg

Pearl and the whole litter

pearl_and_some_pups2.jpg

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back