The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Help! dog is eating his bed

terry004

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
Hi,
our 7 month old Patterdale is a lovely little dog..very clever still teething and will go into his crate at bedtime with no bother, the problem we have is he eats his bedding and I mean he doesen't just chew it he swallows some of it. We have gone through 2 crate matresses, so decided to use towels folded neatly he chewed them and ate small amounts of them, we are scared of the damage he will do to himself with blockages. So we tried with no bedding it didn't work as he walked around his crate all night and whined and barked. We have looked everywhere on line for ideas and chew proof bedding with no luck!! anyone out there got any ideas would be much appreciated on how to solve this problem before he injures himself.

Kind Regards

Terry

Could it be he is stressed In the crate and that is why he is chewing his bedding...yes you are right to be worried as our jack Russell ate a small soft toy and it ended up with emergency surgery...does he chew outside of the crate

Could it be he is stressed In the crate and that is why he is chewing his bedding...yes you are right to be worried as our jack Russell ate a small soft toy and it ended up with emergency surgery...does he chew outside of the crate
thanks for the reply, he seems to look forward to going to bed..and yes he chews and eats just about anything in the garden, we have had to get rid of loads of shrubs and plants that are dangerous to dogs..he even chews stones..he is driving us up the wall..we don't know how to cure him.

He will be teething now too, so he will be at his worst. Does he have plenty of things that he is allowed to chew?

we have seen these elevated beds advertised the only problem is if the surface is taught (rigid) it may mimic his crate surface and he may reject it...however I may have to take a chance and buy one.

Does he have lots of things to keep his mind active...patterdales are the hardcore terriers ...lovely but very active as I expect you know ;)

Does he have lots of things to keep his mind active...patterdales are the hardcore terriers ...lovely but very active as I expect you know ;)
ha ha he is hardcore! it's none stop play all day after a long walk in the woods...he wears us out just hoping he slows down as he gets older. And he has all the mental treat toys on the market..to keep him busy.

Our youngster almost 11 months, loves her cow hooves and fresh bones and is often found chewing her hooves. I have a bin full of large cow hooves (not the calf ones !! ) She is still working on the original 6 that were put around the place for her when she was 4 months, and shared by our other girls too. She will always look for one when she feels the need to chew something (never the filled ones ). Could you put a couple of these in her cage for her for when boredom strikes.
Our girls have "Profleece" green backed fleece, for their beds. They manage to chew them with ease.
We also use cardboard boxes for beds for them all to snuggle in, the puppy "Titch" often curls up in a box, possibly gives a sense of security and another day it will be found totally destroyed, cardboard is everywhere but that doesn't matter as I just clear up the mess and replace the box with another, no need for bedding inside. We prefer the hooves for chewing as they get plenty of edible bones each week.

hey excuseme, sounds like a plan...he has so far eaten 3 deer antler (large) chews but not in his crate at night...loves em I will have to order those cow hooves online...so how come your dogs don't choke on the profleece do the fibres come off easy when chewed? because if they do he will swallow them.

Don't give him any fleece bedding if you know that he will chew it, just try the cardboard boxes without anything inside.
I have just looked to see on my ebay where I got my hooves from, the system does not go back far enough.
Take care when ordering Hooves as some companies are including calf hooves with cow hooves!
I have found some on ebay; "elite-pet-supplies" all empty Cow size. "Hollings Cow Hoof Hooves".
Some people say that Hooves can splinter, I have used them for many years and never had one splinter !

Don't give him any fleece bedding if you know that he will chew it, just try the cardboard boxes without anything inside.
I have just looked to see on my ebay where I got my hooves from, the system does not go back far enough.
Take care when ordering Hooves as some companies are including calf hooves with cow hooves!
I have found some on ebay; "elite-pet-supplies" all empty Cow size. "Hollings Cow Hoof Hooves".
Some people say that Hooves can splinter, I have used them for many years and never had one splinter !
thanks for the info I will send for some

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back