The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Hi Newbie Here

stanley baby

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
Hi every one,well I have finally got round to joining this fantasic forum.My family and I are proud owners of a Blue whippet puppy,(Stanley)He was just 8 weeks old when he came to live with us now 8 months this week believe me he is a good weight loss programme lol.Looking at him now as he is laid full lenght of my bed you would think butter wouldn't melt!he is calming down now thank godness baby whippet teeth Hurt! :angry: I have gained such a lot of good advice already by looking throu the topics here, but I could do with some help with a few problems that we are still having.....we do let him off the lead in safe well safe as can be areas,but his recall is somewhat hit and miss.....does any one else have a selective hearing whippet lol! we use chicken and treats to do this but you have to be on the look out at all times in case he sees another dog,as he is running round and round like a manic.Big dogs are ok but I think he thinks the smaller ones are prey! and the other main problem is when we let him off he goes crazy bombing round at a 100 mile an hour but then comes the jumping and biting! I tell him in a firm voice.....no biting! but he thinks it is a great game any help with these couple of problems would be great.

Ahhh, bless him :wub:

Welcome to K9 :D Stanley is still very much a baby and will still have all the puppy habits but with an adult size mouth and legs :lol:

It sounds as though you are already doing the right thing by consistently telling him "no" when he jumps up or mouths you. What might help in this situation is, as soon as he jumps up, to turn your back on him and completely ignore him. That way he is getting zero response from you and the "game" will become boring for him :thumbsup:

Recall is a different matter and I think pretty much every whippet has convenient hearing :blink: I know that none of mine will respond immediately if they have something more interesting on their mind and it takes persistent repetition and reward to ensure that recall training stays in place.

Nothing wrong with keeping Stanley on a lead in unsafe places - much better than risking his safety by letting him off :blink:

Would love to see some pictures of the handsome boy :D

Ahhh, bless him :wub:
Welcome to K9 :D Stanley is still very much a baby and will still have all the puppy habits but with an adult size mouth and legs :lol:

It sounds as though you are already doing the right thing by consistently telling him "no" when he jumps up or mouths you. What might help in this situation is, as soon as he jumps up, to turn your back on him and completely ignore him. That way he is getting zero response from you and the "game" will become boring for him :thumbsup:

Recall is a different matter and I think pretty much every whippet has convenient hearing :blink: I know that none of mine will respond immediately if they have something more interesting on their mind and it takes persistent repetition and reward to ensure that recall training stays in place.

Nothing wrong with keeping Stanley on a lead in unsafe places - much better than risking his safety by letting him off :blink:

Would love to see some pictures of the handsome boy :D
Thanks for your advice.... I know it is as new to Stanley as it is to me this learning stuff,but we will soldier on ...by the way he likes a good cheek too tried that one (w00t) not sure how to use photobucket hopefully I will get some pics up soon. :thumbsup:

Toddy still gets very excitable around other dogs when he is off the lead. His recall has improved and you do just have to keep working at it.

I now have him addicted to his favourite toy a flexible rubber frisbiee (known to Toddy as 'Frisb' ) this is a lot more effective than treats.

I agree, if he jumps up or tries to bite, just turn and walk away, do not hlay his game.

PDSA shops are selling flexible rubber frisbiees at the moment. Toddy likes orange best. I think it is one of the few spectrum colours that dogs can see well. They are excellent fun, less work than a ball and if he becomes addicted a great tool for conrtolling Stanley.

I am sure he will grow out of this stage. Toddy has only just started to 'turn over a new leaf' now that he is 18 months old.

Welcome to the forum :) look forward to seeing some pics of Stanley

Welcome to the forum, I hope we are going to see some pictures of Stanley :thumbsup:

Stanley sounds like a very typical young sighthound, and you've had some excellent advice already. Working on getting Stanley really addicted to a particular toy might help with his recall - David Ryan is a behaviourist who has done a lot of work with dogs with high prey-drive and I've heard a lot of people report success with his methods, though they do take some time and work to implement.

There's an outline here which might give you some ideas you can work on with Stanley: http://www.dog-secrets.co.uk/how-do-i-stop-my-dog-chasing/

Welcome to K9. I also have a beautiful blue who was hard work as a pup! :wacko:

Very good advice given already, and I would just add this: bear in mind that training a pup is a 'drip, drip, drip' ongoing project. They don't suddenly just 'get it' with things like recall, you have to keep reinforcing the message. And I think with sighthounds you have to bear in mind that chasing something irresistible to them is always going to be more powerful than the you recalling them, so you have to keep a watch out for dangers to them. Things like a rabbit or cat on the opposite side of a busy road, other dogs that they might want to go and play with.

Look forward to seeing pictures of your beautiful boy.

Hello and welcome :))

Sounds like Stanley wants to play :D

If you have any friends you could walk with to let him get a play with other dogs this might help .

You could also try using treats he really likes but does not get at any other time eg cheese

Welcome to k9 :thumbsup: :thumbsup: .......Would also love to see pics of your Stanley :D :D

Hello and welcome :)) Sounds like Stanley wants to play :D

If you have any friends you could walk with to let him get a play with other dogs this might help .

You could also try using treats he really likes but does not get at any other time eg cheese
Thank you all for your advice I haven't had a whippet before I always had german sheppards growing up this is my first dog as an adult.I have to laugh at the frizzbie idea...we did try that and Stanley just looked at us as if to say go fetch it yourself lol.Plastic bottles seem to be his thing so I will take some out with me next time.He walks a long lovely (off lead)if you say come on lets go he does straight away and follows you.....but he knows just how long a human arm is when it comes to being back on sometimes lol.I think he really could do with a "walking doggy friend" to teach him the ropes, I have just had him down the fields and used chicken to recall (but not every time!) sometimes just held collar,other gave a big pat and fuss, other the treat....Hula we only use chicken for recall treat.He did come back every time today which was fantastic! but then came the wounderful sight of fresh horse manure,my god can that dog stuff it in let me tell you! no matter of shouting Stanley drop it come here was going to work......but I've had an idea I don't know why I didnt think of this before...use the horse muck as a reward :thumbsup: only joking lol I have tried to post a photo but it says it is too big I think I will have to wait for my hubby to come home.Back soon hopefullywith pics ;)

Hope this worked here is our Stanley....more updated ones to come :thumbsup:

050.jpg

stanley.jpg

Hi and welcome to k9 :thumbsup:

Whippet pups sure are hard work eh :sweating: :sweating:

My eldest is almost 21 months and slightly improving :- o:) my other is 12 months next week and still a bloody

nightmare (w00t) :sweating: :lol:

Stanley looks adorable btw :wub:

Hi and welcome to k9 :thumbsup: Whippet pups sure are hard work eh :sweating: :sweating:

My eldest is almost 21 months and slightly improving :- o:) my other is 12 months next week and still a bloody

Stanley looks adorable btw :wub:
Seems I have along way to go then....God job I have a GSH lol here are a few more pics

DSC_4802.jpg

DSC_4855.jpg

Hi and welcome to k9 :thumbsup: Whippet pups sure are hard work eh :sweating: :sweating:

Seems I have along way to go then lol...here are a few more pics(Don't no why the others were deleted) :wacko:

DSC_4802.jpg

DSC_4855.jpg

He looks so sweet and calm. I know however just how looks can be deceiving. :devil:

It took Toddy a couple of weeks to 'catch on' with the frisbee. Like all training, it takes time. Once you find a toy that he addicted to, it can be a really useful training tool.

Horse muck contains probiotics and natural goodness (w00t) and a reasonable quantity will do no harm

Lovely photos

Hi stanley baby :thumbsup: I think you live round the corner from me! If it is you I'm the girl with 2 whippets who bark A LOT!!! If its not you then there is somone else in Wakefield with an 8 month old blue whippet called Stanley :teehee: Have a look at some of my old threads, you may recognise me or my dogs.

I'll send you a pm to tell you where I live and see if you fancy meeting up for walkies. One of my dogs is scared of other dogs so I wouldn't bring him but Molly is fine :D

Last edited by a moderator:
Aww he is a gorgeous boy, and looks so cute in his coat :huggles:

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back