The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Home Offered

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
kris said:
*Lesley* said:
Maybe I'm missing the point the then sorry :oops: so does anyone have a free whippet for rabbitrunner that they made a mistake with or over bred, :unsure:   well done for wanting to pick up the pieces from these irresponsible people :thumbsup:   :- "
Thank goodness I'm not a breeder I think I might be a little offended :oops:

yes,you were right first time there lesley,............you DID miss the point. :thumbsup:

I don't think so somehow :thumbsup:

Rabbitrunner said:
Due to a little confusion over my last posting offering a home for a female whippet, I thought I would re-write and clarify.  I am offering a home to a whippet bitch between the ages of a 1-2yrs.
I am happy to consider a dog with mild behavioural problems, or a dog that has perhaps not made the grade as a show or coursing dog, or just needs rehoming through other circumstances.

I am not looking to buy, but to offer a good home, with good food, good exercise in a family environment. Pedigree or non predigree not important.

You might want to cross post this in the non ped forum. I suspect you would get a different type of response over there than this holier than thou nonsense you tend to get by the mafia patroling the general discusion forums.

Holier than thou? ME? o:) Possibly... :- "

In all cases of dogs being given/received as "freebies" that have been quoted so far, the recipient has been known to the donor. To someone trying to vet a stranger over this forum (for instance) as a suitable home then my argument is that asking a donation sorts out the committed from the chancers who wouldn't value the dog and may pass it on again as easily as they got it. I am NOT saying this is the case for Rabbitrunner!

I have myself got donation paid rescue dogs, "freebies" and paid for pedigrees. Can't say I value them any differently according to what they cost. Neither would I assume that I would get a dog for nothing.

In my opinion both Lesley and Kris are right. Kris was talking about people she had vetted and come to trust. Lesley is talking about the possibility of chancers. At least that is my understanding of what both ladies are talking about. :)

I have a slightly different slant on it.....I answered an ad in one of our local papers regarding a person who was offering a home to a "small house dog of any breeding as a friend for my son" At the time we had an aged Border Terrier bitch whom we had taken on as a rescue as her previous owners could no longer keep her,unfortunately she did not adjust with us and our other dogs but I was loathe to advertise her in case we got the usual dross answering a "Free to good home ad",so this advert suited me,I rang up,spoke with the lady extensively and to cut a long story short,she and her son came down and spent some time with "Kelah" and they eventually took her on trial to see if she settled with them,which she did VERY well,this lady was a single mum on a low income but I felt that she could still offer Kelah a very loving home with the best that she could afford....and I have not been proved wrong,I still have contact and Kelah and her son are inseparable and Kelah is living out her twilight years in a home where she is a very much loved and integral part of the family. :thumbsup:

So sometimes it can work,even if you don't know the person.

Rabbitrunner said:
Due to a little confusion over my last posting offering a home for a female whippet, I thought I would re-write and clarify.  I am offering a home to a whippet bitch between the ages of a 1-2yrs.
I am happy to consider a dog with [SIZE=14pt]mild[/SIZE] behavioural problems, or a dog that has perhaps not made the grade as a show or coursing dog, or just needs rehoming through other circumstances.

This seems to me to be a little picky for someone wanting a freebie. He/She isn't exactly asking for any old throw out.

I am not looking to buy, but to offer a good home, with good food, good exercise in a family environment. Pedigree or non predigree not important.

I was brought up to believe self praise is no recommendation. The commercial breeders crack, was IMO a deliberate slur 'cos some people had the temerity to mention money

Terry Smith

Terry & Sheila Smith said:
Rabbitrunner said:
I am happy to consider a dog with [SIZE=14pt]mild[/SIZE] behavioural problems, or a dog that has perhaps not made the grade as a show or coursing dog, or just needs rehoming through other circumstances.

This seems to me to be a little picky for someone wanting a freebie. He/She isn't exactly asking for any old throw out.

I was brought up to believe self praise is no recommendation. The commercial breeders crack, was IMO a deliberate slur 'cos some people had the temerity to mention money

Terry Smith

"I was brought up to believe self praise is no recommendation"

thats all the guy has got he's on a forum what do you want him to do come round and do some oddjobs

*Lesley* said:
Rae said:
*Lesley* said:
Maybe I'm missing the point the then sorry :oops: so does anyone have a free whippet for rabbitrunner that they made a mistake with or over bred, :unsure:   well done for wanting to pick up the pieces from these irresponsible people :thumbsup:   :- "

:lol: You crack me up :lol: :huggles:

But we know that the people on K9 who breed a few litters are responsible and very obviously care where their pups go - if I were getting a dog from the people that bred him/her I'd expect to pay too, but there are other ways of getting a whippy and there have been a few posts in the last few weeks alone for whippies looking for a new home. For example - if you took Bean on from Kim would you expect to give Kim any money for her? Perhaps I'm just tight (w00t) , but I'd think that a good home was the most important factor in that instance.

I think Kims already pm'd him Rae :unsure: so I don't think she's giving her away :huggles:

You know me Rae :huggles: if I needed to rehome I would ONLY consider the home, but it would be to someone who I knew would be that, not someone who assumed that because I had to rehome I would be giving them away :(

I did pm Rabbit runner, but i didnt know he wanted a free whippet

1) Bean isnt a problem case - Tilly wont except her into the house and is still very jealous of her, in that case Tilly is the problem, and bean is the victim

2) A good home is the first priority, but i paid £400 for her, i will forward her on with a suitable price reduction, to the right person

3) I feel i have been contacted by the right person and they are coming to see her this weekend

4) I contacted the breeder but havent heard back (not sure why i added this, but i guess its so you dont think i havent given him the oppertunity to have her back)

If Rabbitrunner is willing to take on whippets who have problems or who are hard to rehome, ie biters or dogs who wee everywhere, then good on him, but bean isnt one of them sorry

Rae said:
*Lesley* said:

:lol: You crack me up :lol: :huggles:

But we know that the people on K9 who breed a few litters are responsible and very obviously care where their pups go - if I were getting a dog from the people that bred him/her I'd expect to pay too, but there are other ways of getting a whippy and there have been a few posts in the last few weeks alone for whippies looking for a new home. For example - if you took Bean on from Kim would you expect to give Kim any money for her? Perhaps I'm just tight (w00t) , but I'd think that a good home was the most important factor in that instance.

Just to clarify, did you mean i shouldnt ask for money or that i would/should ??

thats all the guy has got he's on a forum what do you want him to do come round and do some oddjobs

Wow!!! like your style whats he like at creosoting?

Terry Smith

Tony Taylor said:
Rabbitrunner said:
I am happy to consider a dog with mild behavioural problems, or a dog that has perhaps not made the grade as a show or coursing dog, or just needs rehoming through other circumstances.

You might want to cross post this in the non ped forum. I suspect you would get a different type of response over there than this holier than thou nonsense you tend to get by the mafia patroling the general discusion forums.

Well I think youve shot yourself in the foot with this comment Tony (w00t) Think about what you printed , are non ped peps not so thoughtful about where there whips go ?? and are happy to give them away . Its nothing to do with the `Mafia ` :lol:

and I also notice that Rabbit runner said in his/her last post they would be happy to give a donation for the whippet (w00t) so why didnt they say that in the first place and then we wouldnt have had this huge posting ;)

quote {rabbitrunner}

I for one will never buy another dog, but will always happily give time love and patience to those who really need it, along with a donation as I have done for some time to the institutions who pick up the pieces (quote Rabbitrunner)

Oh and BTW , Ive had more that one freebie whippet too :eek:

Last edited by a moderator:
masta said:
Terry & Sheila Smith said:
Rabbitrunner said:

Terry Smith

thats the funniest post ive seen all day! :lol: :thumbsup:

JAX said:
Tony Taylor said:

Well I think youve shot yourself in the foot with this comment Tony (w00t) Think about what you printed , are non ped peps not so thoughtful about where there whips go ?? and are happy to give them away . Its nothing to do with the `Mafia ` :lol:

You might want to think " I've shot my self in the foot" but that’s just wishful and I did think what I printed. It's a fairly enormous leap of illogic to suppose non-ped people are not so thoughtful about where their dogs go from my post above. I'd be interested if you would explain exactly how and, of more interest perhaps, why you came to that conclusion as no such sentiment was given or implied by myself.

I'm not sure a desire to profit from the disposal of an unwanted dog is an endearing personality trait and my experience is that a larger part of the non-ped world would be more interested in the dog’s welfare than obtaining a commercial benefit. It would appear that £ signs are dominating certain people’s thoughts.

Last year I was asked to take a bitch back I had bred one year earlier as the owner had to return to full time work - she came to me the same day I was asked to have her. An 'aquaintance' offered her a home without thinking it through - but said ' I don't want to giver her(previous owner) any money for her. I thought the home extremely unsuitable, one reason was there was already a year old beautiful whippet dog there who was a total menace as he had not been trained otherwise. Another was the fact that the prospective new owner wanted the dogs trust to spay her as a rescue - Bella was not a rescue as such and I felt it was an abuse of the D T 's funds to help pay for the cost when this person could well afford to do herself, but did not want to. This just rang some 'warning bells' about this 'home' that I could not fathom out.Bella(the bitch who came back) had been spoilt rotten and had therefore not been 'trained' in the basics of respecting her owner. The thought of the 2 dogs together worried me. Also the ' I don't want to pay her for the bitch.' If I have had to find homes for any other dogs I usually ask for a donation to whippet rescue, rather than to me or the previous owners. I feel I have already had my money so to speak and the right home is more important than monetary gain. Although there are people I would rehome to that could not afford to pay, I would have to be certain they could afford to keep the dog. The good news is that Bella, now called Lucy - amongst others - has a fantastic home with Nic and Daz and family and is currently undergoing the appropriate training. Sometimes I think you have to go with 'your gut feeling' about suitable homes for your dogs, and anyone asking for a freebie initially just seems wrong to me - I do not expect to get a freebie of anything in life, although it's nice if/when it happens! JMO Maybe if it had been worded better in the first place people would have been more understanding :thumbsup:

Tony Taylor said:
JAX said:
Tony Taylor said:

You might want to think " I've shot my self in the foot" but that’s just wishful and I did think what I printed. It's a fairly enormous leap of illogic to suppose non-ped people are not so thoughtful about where their dogs go from my post above. I'd be interested if you would explain exactly how and, of more interest perhaps, why you came to that conclusion as no such sentiment was given or implied by myself.

I'm not sure a desire to profit from the disposal of an unwanted dog is an endearing personality trait and my experience is that a larger part of the non-ped world would be more interested in the dog’s welfare than obtaining a commercial benefit. It would appear that £ signs are dominating certain people’s thoughts.

I think this has got out of all context . £ signs dont come into my head when placing my pups , as for older dogs ,why do you think I have 10 whippets .cos I cant bare to part with them :huggles: , they are my family . As said in earlier post , I have GIVEN away FOC the odd whippet who I thought would be happier in a smaller family .

Tony at the end of the day , the dogs welfare should come first , second and last .

IMO by saying he should have posted om Non peds he wouldnt have got a `holier than thou` responce . read to be as I posted above . Im not holier than thou as alot of whippet folk will tell you ;) , but when I see some one wanting a whippet , but want it for nowt , I get dismayed , as to me whippets are `priceless `and I find it an insult that peps should expect one for nothing as if they are worthless . :cheers: I applaud people taking on rescue and `problem dogs `obviously

Happy Humber said:
Hi Angela              Yes we were at Windsor last summer on that very hot day-seems a long time ago now. We hope to be at crufts soon in the veteran class  Best Wishes :)
Very best wishes, I remember you well. Look forward to seeing you at Crufts will be there to cheer you on... :cheers:

Angela

There is a 12month old whippet dog , free to good home in ad trader,,,118 miles from me at Seaham :unsure:

Says nothing else about the pup :(

Maybe a wee bit too far for you ;)

I've called this number as I'm looking for a boy but unfortunately they've printed the wrong number in the ad trader and the lady has had numerous calls for a dog that she knows nothing about. Just thought I'd let you know :))

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back