The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Hot weather

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
Just thinking out loud @JudyN - rather than spray him with water, is it possible to take something that produces a mist so as to get him damp and cool him off? Something like one of those indoor plant spray/trigger thingies, but with more mist than squirt.

@JudyN -
there are small purse-size pump spray bottles [recyclable plastic] sold by pharmacies & discount stores, here - places like CVS Pharm & WalMart, etc. They have ADJUSTABLE spray heads, which twist to close [off, for carrying, so they do not leak in a bag] & twist open for light mist, more, or a thin stream; the spray can be as light as U like.
They only hold 3 to 4 oz; U can use the water-bottle U carry, to top it up.

They can be used for plants, but I use mine to spray my own pulse-points on hot days, while waiting for the bus, etc, & also to spray dog's bellies where there's no haircoat to speak of - if they DON'T like it, I do it when they are standing, so they can move away from the spray, & I do it several times for brief sprays, rewarding after every spray with a super-high-value tidbit [like cubed beef, a spoonful of yogurt or ice-cream, freeze-dried tripe, etc.

Spraying the pads of their paws can also be effective cooling - so is spraying a bandanna, then use the damp bandanna to wipe the dog's ears. Wipe both inside & outside with one light swipe. Then the air flowing over the pinnae quickly evaporates the moisture, & helps cool the dog. :)
HTH,
- terry

Ah, thanks @arealhuman and @leashedForLife - I hadn't thought of something a bit smaller and gentler than a super-soaker! There's three pharmacies in our local shops - one is bound to have something. He may still need desensitising knowing him but with a bit of work and a lot of sausage he should be OK.

He was digging a trench in the border the other evening when I was watering just the other side of a row of bushes with the hose on spray setting, and completely ignored my requests to desist. So I may accidentally on purpose have pointed the water spray more in his direction through the bushes - he rocketed off into the house as if he had a crocodile snapping at his heels :eek: NB: I don't in any way condone this sort of 'training' but knowing just how quickly he can create a new Marianas trench in very little time at all, the temptation got the better of me:oops:

Now here's a dilemma... I've made Jasper some lovely ice lollies, full of bits of meat and treats. It's much cooler in here than in the garden (still 24c), but I don't want to give one to him in here because of the carpet. I could shut him in the kitchen with a lolly, but I'd rather he stay chilled mentally as well as physically, i.e. all sprawled out. Letting him outside to eat it seems to defeat the object of trying to keep him cool...

Rather conveniently, as all the doors and windows are open, a door slammed in a breeze upstairs. J is afraid of bangy doors and took himself out into the garden so I took him out a lolly.

He kept giving me funny looks. I'm not sure if it was his old resource guarding tendencies being triggered, or he just wasn't quite sure what to do with it until it started to thaw - or a bit of both!

Misty has to have her lollies outside in the shade, far too much mess for indoors. I’ve got the paddling pool in the garden for her, although she won’t choose to go in it as it’s not a dirty stream or puddle. I keep putting her favourite ball in the middle of the pool so that she has to put her front feet in and then do a bit of apple bobbing to get it out. At least it cools her off a bit and she’s getting some extra fluid. Also it cools me off because she will then dump the soaking wet ball in my lap :eek:

QUOTE, Sezzy:

...I’ve got the paddling pool in the garden for her, although she won’t... go in it, as it’s [too clean for her].

I keep putting her favourite ball in the middle of the pool, so she [must] put her front feet in, then apple-bob to get it out... it cools her off a bit, & she gets some extra fluid.
It also cools me off... because she will then dump the soaking-wet ball in my lap.
:eek:

:eek: :p :D :rolleyes:
Made me laugh! :)
- t

Walked at 11.30 last night beneath a brilliant moon and three planets. It was magical. In the mornings it's 10 mins to the lily ponds...the boys run in and stand for 5. We walk home. I really wish I could go in with them. :(

There's a local 'fun day' tomorrow afternoon, with a fun dog show, in the middle of a field. If we go, we'll go one at a time so Jasper can stay at home with all the windows open. I'll be interested to see (a) if they go ahead with the dog show and (b) how many people bring their dogs. It would send a really good message if they cancelled the dog show on the grounds that it's really not safe for them to be hanging around in these temperatures.

It was so hot this afternoon we didnt even let Murphy in the pool it was just too hot in our garden.

We do our main walk very early while its still cool and the dew is still on the grass..

There's a local 'fun day' tomorrow afternoon, with a fun dog show, in the middle of a field. If we go, we'll go one at a time so Jasper can stay at home with all the windows open. I'll be interested to see (a) if they go ahead with the dog show and (b) how many people bring their dogs. It would send a really good message if they cancelled the dog show on the grounds that it's really not safe for them to be hanging around in these temperatures.
Are you going on about the Dogs Trust as they have cancelled the 2 fun days for tomorrow

No, it's just a small community fun day - there's lots of other events like childen's dance groups & choirs, vintage cars, donkey derby. The dog show is just one bit of it.

REALLY hope they cancel the donkey derby! Poor things...they will, won't they?

REALLY hope they cancel the donkey derby! Poor things...they will, won't they?

I wondered about that - do you still get seaside donkeys, and do they have to go out whatever the heat? From what I remember from previous years, they came in a large lorry which then has the back open so maybe they can get shade in there - and they'll probably barely break into a trot in the donkey derby.

Though there's now the possibility of a bit of cloud cover and rain in the early afternoon, which will help.

Oh Joanne! I wouldn't say I know that much about Donkeys!
We have 3, just as grazing companions.
Donkeys are Desert creatures, they tolerate heat and cold alike and are used to work in the heat and sun, (without any consideration of shade) !
Our 3 will lay in chosen sunny spots where they can enjoy the warmth of the sun, but they just as much on days like we are having at the moment, stand under a shady tree.
They very seldom hurry anywhere, life just goes at their pace, as I am sure the beach donkeys do.
I am sure we have animal welfare laws here that protect our beach Donkeys.

Yeah- there are local authority laws and usually inspections for health and welfare of beach donkeys. Actually the donkeys I've known hate rain most of all. But I'm just not a big fan of donkey derbys - don't like seeing them being pulled around by some rough unskilled overweight rider! The max rider weight used to be 8 stone!:eek:

Their quite lovely, all with different personalaties, and always willing to have a hug if you need one. :rolleyes:

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back