The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

How Do You Move Your Whippet

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
Seraphina said:
echo said:
Do I think the more a dog reaches the better?
to a degree I do with the forequarters, I am looking for a dog that has long low daisy clipping movement, the dog will only be able to throw its front quarters forword  so far. I think what you might be referring to is a dog that is hackney front, lifting the quarters front high.

What also needs to be looked at is the drive of the dog, this is a different action to reaching, the drive coming from the rear quarters. bringing the hind quarters well under the body of the dog and driving them out and away providing the force by which the dog is moving.

If these terms reaching out in front and driving at the rear I think people might understand the action better.

Well, NO hackneyed movement is NOT extended trot. :wacko:

I don't think I said that Hackney movement was an extended trot did I?

So I have explained myself what I am looking for in front and rear movement.

You seem to have a lot to say about movement, please feel free at anytime to define in words what you understand as correct movement. I would also be interested to know how a dog can over reach its forequarter thus having exagerated action but still conform to standard and throw its forequarters forward. As I understand your explaination you are say a dog can be reaching too far in front thus exagerating the front movement?

neave said:
You didnt offend anyone! But Echo didnt seem to be happy with the comment made about the dog.  Sometimes people need to be critical and see things from a judges point of view.  And its good that you can point out the good and not so good points of dogs, it shows that you have a good eye.  This also helps of course when your picking out a puppy for showing.  But the most important thing to remember when you are showing is, at the end of the day no matter what you win, whether it be 1st prize or last prize or nothing at all you know that you always take the best and most loved dog home.  Sometimes its not the winning that counts, its the taking part!  Thank your for sharing the pict with us.
I didn't think you would be offended it is not your dog that is been Fault Judged!

I personally am not offended or unhappy about the comments rasied.

My point was people that should know better than to make negative comments as they have in the past and again now, I am sure these Championship show judges know who they are, if the person placed there own dogs on a thread and asked for honest comments that is one thing, but the dogs photos used should have the permission of the owner. I ask the question again how would any of you feel if overnight a picture of your dog happened to be posted with someone pointing out all its faults? Should we try it? I think not.

I have not and will not pass any comments about the photos regardless of my opinion.

If the opinions of ECHO offend anyone then the MOD's have the ability to remove ECHO from the K9 web Site.

everyone is entitled to thier own thoughts and if this wish to express them that's up to the individual person. But perheps the best way to get someone thoughts and opionons on a dog is when you go underneath them in the ring!

The Speed of the gait varies from dog to dog of any breed - as a retired handler

I usually had to judge the gait "on the fly" so to speak because I usually had

some dogs that were brought to me at ring side (not my favoriate thing to do)

I'll give you an illastration

the first pix is of Dutch - a dog I bred 5 years ago and see very infrequently -

CH Wildhare Cowboy Cadillac FCH, CRX, RN, CGC -

its the first time I had seen him in about 3 years

the first pix is of him at a "moderate pace" notice the length of stride and lack

of reach and drive - the second one is one of longer stride showing good reach

and good drive from the rear - difference in speed can be judged by my length

of stride -

wildhare said:
The Speed of the gait varies from dog to dog of any breed - as a retired handler

I usually had to judge the gait "on the fly" so to speak because I usually had

some dogs that were brought to me at ring side (not my favoriate thing to do)

I'll give you an illastration

the first pix is of Dutch - a dog I bred 5 years ago and see very infrequently -

CH Wildhare Cowboy Cadillac FCH, CRX, RN, CGC -

its the first time I had seen him in about 3 years

the first pix is of him at a "moderate pace" notice the length of stride and lack

of reach and drive - the second one is one of longer stride showing good reach

and good drive from the rear - difference in speed can be judged by my length

of stride -

sorry having problems with getting the second pix in

here it is (I hope)

dwight

Seraphina said:
Nobody is arguing that Whippets do not trot, but extended trot is certainly not Whippets most effective gait. 
Actually the extended trot or flying trot is a natural part of the whippet's trot. There is actually a brief period of suspension when all four feet are off the ground (which is why the flying/extended trot is so called - not because of the amount of extension, Lida).

It also states NO exaggeration. My question was; at what point the extended trot becomes an exageration??? And again the operative term is extended. Or do you think that more the dog reaches better it is?
quote seraphina

From the Australian extended standard:

It used to be thought that the flying trot in which a period of susupension occurs, is rarely seen unless, like the German Shepherd Dog, the dog is specifically bred for it. The Whippet was not specifically bred for suspension at the trot, but, like most normally constructed dogs, the sound Whippet, example A [sorry don't have the examples scanned] demonstrates the neglected brief period of suspension in phases five and six. Even the unsound, unbalanced Whippet, example B, has a brief period of suspension in phase six. The brief period of suspension occurs during the support change-over of the opposite, diagonal pairs of feet.

For a long time too I believed that the flying trot was only the GSD's domain. I had a photo of Dino which showed this brief period of suspension and I deleted it because I thought I couldn't use it because people would say it was wrong. I was very relieved to receive the extended standard and read those words. Shame I don't still have the pic.

Last edited by a moderator:
Any dog that is built for normal movement and is constructed correctly should be capable of doing an extended trot. Half the problem, especially in this country, is that Whippets have such steep, short upper arms that they are not capable of moving with reach in front so consequently they do not drive from behind and they just tip-tup round the ring with their owners doing the same! Even if you ran with these dogs, they still would not be able to do an extended trot.

If a dog moves correctly, in profile, you should be able to imagine two symmetrical triangles formed by its front and rear legs and the hind foot should fall into the print of where its front foot has just left. If the hind foot is either falling short or overreaching the front pawprint then the dog is not moving correctly (probably because it is not constructed correctly). The speed of the dog, i.e. whether the handler walks or runs, should be immaterial.

[

If a dog moves correctly, in profile, you should be able to imagine two symmetrical triangles formed by its front and rear legs and the hind foot should fall into the print of where its front foot has just left. If the hind foot is either falling short or overreaching the front pawprint then the dog is not moving correctly (probably because it is not constructed correctly). The speed of the dog, i.e. whether the handler walks or runs, should be immaterial.

thats really interesting to know! I will bear that in mind when am at my next show. what annoys me is when some judges cant pick up on bad moving whippets and reward them instead (but then again you should look at the dog as a package, rather than pick out the faults) :rant: :D

neave said:
[

thats really interesting to know! I will bear that in mind when am at my next show. what annoys me is when some judges cant pick up on bad moving whippets and reward them instead (but then again you should look at the dog as a package, rather than pick out the faults) :rant: :D

I agree with the above statement that Neave said,I have seen time and time again whippets winning AND getting BOB with a front knee action that would put a Hackney pony to shame!!! Surely these judges should know the standard??? Or am I expecting too much? :- "

05whippet said:
neave said:
[

I agree with the above statement that Neave said,I have seen time and time again whippets winning AND getting BOB with a front knee action that would put a Hackney pony to shame!!! Surely these judges should know the standard??? Or am I expecting too much? :- "

Probably when a lot of the time the judge is not actually judging the dogs. Or am I being cynical now?? :- "

05whippet said:
neave said:
[

Probably when a lot of the time the judge is not actually judging the dogs. Or am I being cynical now?? :- "

aslan said:
Actually the extended trot or flying trot is a natural part of the whippet's trot.  There is actually a brief period of suspension when all four feet are off the ground (which is why the flying/extended trot is so called - not because of the amount of extension, Lida).

Actually, the definition of trot;

The trot is a gait where the diagonal pairs of legs move forwards at the same time. There is a moment of suspension between each beat.

It maybe that in short or medium trot the suspension is hardly perceivable, but if it is not there it is not trot.

What would be the occassion that a Whippet would naturally use extended trot? What would be the purpose? When i excercise my dogs with my bicycle or in the past with a horse, they certainly cantered or galloped, depending on how fast I would be going.

Heres a pic of Sid I captured with all feet off the ground :thumbsup:

Seraphina said:
aslan said:
Actually the extended trot or flying trot is a natural part of the whippet's trot.  There is actually a brief period of suspension when all four feet are off the ground (which is why the flying/extended trot is so called - not because of the amount of extension, Lida).

The trot is a gait where the diagonal pairs of legs move forwards at the same time. There is a moment of suspension between each beat.

It maybe that in short or medium trot the suspension is hardly perceivable, but if it is not there it is not trot.

What would be the occassion that a Whippet would naturally use extended trot? What would be the purpose? When i excercise my dogs with my bicycle or in the past with a horse, they certainly cantered or galloped, depending on how fast I would be going.

As a youngster my Ronan moved in an extended trot a lot of the time when out on exercise, he is so well angulated he obviously did not feel the need to break into a canter and he was breath taking to watch. In the ring he would ALWAYS move in an extended trot, it is his natural gait, hence why I have to run with him. At nearly 7 he still out-trots the rest of mine and will continue to trot even when they are cantering ahead of him. He will only up the pace when something catches their attention and they sprint to investigate.

dessie said:
05whippet said:
neave said:
[

NO, I think you are being HONEST!!

Seraphina said:
aslan said:

Well I find ours trot when the horses trot and canter when they canter. Also they do a lovely extended trot when I take them out with me jogging (not that often!! lol) :lol:

echo said:
neave said:
You didnt offend anyone! But Echo didnt seem to be happy with the comment made about the dog.  Sometimes people need to be critical and see things from a judges point of view.  And its good that you can point out the good and not so good points of dogs, it shows that you have a good eye.  This also helps of course when your picking out a puppy for showing.  But the most important thing to remember when you are showing is, at the end of the day no matter what you win, whether it be 1st prize or last prize or nothing at all you know that you always take the best and most loved dog home.  Sometimes its not the winning that counts, its the taking part!  Thank your for sharing the pict with us.
I didn't think you would be offended it is not your dog that is been Fault Judged!

I personally am not offended or unhappy about the comments rasied.

My point was people that should know better than to make negative comments as they have in the past and again now, I am sure these Championship show judges know who they are, if the person placed there own dogs on a thread and asked for honest comments that is one thing, but the dogs photos used should have the permission of the owner. I ask the question again how would any of you feel if overnight a picture of your dog happened to be posted with someone pointing out all its faults? Should we try it? I think not.

I have not and will not pass any comments about the photos regardless of my opinion.

If the opinions of ECHO offend anyone then the MOD's have the ability to remove ECHO from the K9 web Site.

Oh dear , is it your dog > ? :eek:

I thought it belonged to the poster , other wise im sure people wouldnt have put on that comment that has `upset` you

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back