The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

How Much Does Your Whippet Eat ?

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
whippetmitch said:
View attachment 31690Hi all

My whip dog is 7yrs and eats everything and anything he weighs 16kg, but the girls stand over him while he lays down to eat -lazy boy. But i love him :huggles: He even sings for his food - well barks and runs backwards and forwards to the kitchen wagging his tail. Very clever knows words like dinner, walk and bed!

Lovely pic, welcome to k9

keith :thumbsup:

Awwwww Chrissy looks lovely :wub: :wub: I agree with the others if it isn't broke don't fix it, I would keep on the same food maybe just cut it down a little if you feel she's gaining too much weight :thumbsup:

I personally go by how they look rather than how much they weigh, although I weigh them every week for racing I can tell by looking at them and how they act if they need to have a bit more or cut down a little a lot of it I think depends on what sort of excersise they get I would have to feed mine less I think if they didn't have the excersise they did because I think they would put on more weight.

Recently Spry had an op on her leg and wasn't able to excersise she put on about a pound and it just totally threw her out of sinc she's lost it again now and is back to normal some just don't bode well with extra weight where as some are better with a bit extra :unsure:

He is getting quite faddy with his food, especially if I add anything to it. Anyone got any suggestions for a conditioner that is EXTREMELY palatable???

My lot love Fit and Fertile, It tastse like puppy milk :D I think they may do one for older dogs too.

awww she looks like a real sweetie. :*

My four weigh around 10-12kilos and each eat a full handful of dry complete dog food twice a day. They get a little milk with it in the morning and about 1 and a half table spoons of mince, tinned dog meat, pilchards, sardines or something like that late afternoon. They get biscuits at bed-time and a chewy during the day.

My oldie (12) gets more than a handfull each meal but she's on a senior food and seems to need more of it too. I would say my oldie eats a lot for her size compared to the others!

I also feed them more if we are doing a lot of long walks. I watch the weight of my 'show' girl but if she 'asks' for more food after her teatime meal I always give her a little more and it seems to satisfy her. That doesn't happen often tho, so I'm not starving her :- " :lol:

p.s. sardines really put condition on my dogs and they love them

Karen said:
He is getting quite faddy with his food, especially if I add anything to it. Anyone got any suggestions for a conditioner that is EXTREMELY palatable???

My lot love Fit and Fertile, It tastse like puppy milk :D I think they may do one for older dogs too.

Dare I ask how you know Karen????? :- " LOL!

Thanks for the tip BTW!

my dogs will eat anything too, they love nothing more than a tin of sardines in tomato sauce 3 times a week, Binx would eat for Wales given the chance, he's such a porker!

his fave though has to be tuna in oil, he goes MAD when he spots the tin! (w00t)

Chance loves her veg, but Binx leaves out his carrots, it's the only thing he won't eat!

»Tina« said:
my dogs will eat anything too, they love nothing more than a tin of sardines in tomato sauce 3 times a week, Binx would eat for Wales given the chance, he's such a porker!
his fave though has to be tuna in oil, he goes MAD when he spots the tin!  (w00t)

Chance loves her veg, but Binx leaves out his carrots, it's the only thing he won't eat!

Don't blame him :thumbsup: :x

*Lesley* said:
»Tina« said:
his fave though has to be tuna in oil, he goes MAD when he spots the tin!  (w00t)

best veg going lesley ;) yummy!

»Tina« said:
*Lesley* said:
»Tina« said:

best veg going lesley ;) yummy!

Nasty :teehee: I'll forfeit seeing in the dark, only do sleeping in the dark :D

chrissy was having sardines until recently but she went off them :(

I took her to the vet today about her crying because she cried for the second or 3rd night in a row last night . he weighed her and she was 10.2 kg thats 2kg less than when i weighed her at the beggining of the week. he said her retinas are damaged and she cant see me any more , says hes pretty sure her strange eating is down to senility rather than pain . but i thought she was in season but the discharge she has is apparantly not her season so she has some antibiotics to take and had a steroid injection to get rid of any inflamation. i have to take her back in a few weeks to tell him if theres been any improvement/change in her behaviour.

natty said:
chrissy was having sardines until recently but she went off them :( I took her to the vet today about her crying because she cried for the second or 3rd night in a row last night . he weighed her and she was 10.2 kg thats 2kg less than when i weighed her at the beggining of the week. he said her retinas are damaged and she cant see me any more , says hes pretty sure her strange eating is down to senility rather than pain . but i thought she was in season but the discharge she has is apparantly not her season so she has some antibiotics to take and had a steroid injection to get rid of any inflamation. i have to take her back in a few weeks to tell him if theres been any improvement/change in her behaviour.

oh how sad :( I hope the injection and anti's help :luck:

I use cooked mackeral. High oil content and great taste. The boys love them.

Regards

Karen said:
He is getting quite faddy with his food, especially if I add anything to it.  Anyone got any suggestions for a conditioner that is EXTREMELY palatable???

This might come in handy for some of you with older dogs who lose weight like my 15 year old. Ive never used tined meat on our racing dogs but our old one fell ill last week and the weight fell off her. The vet told me to give her 4 small meals a day of cooked poridge oats cooked in water NOT MILK mixed with tined chappie :x

It works her energy levels coming back, and she is more interested in life again. She should start putting weight on again now :D

Thanks for posting tanyia , i think i might try that with chrissy.

Hi Natty, you can see the change in our Josie just in the last 24 hours.

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back