The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

How often do you walk your dog?

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
@thedogsbeforetime 1 time a week isn't as bad as others will make out because i know people who have never and will never walk there dog/s so actually your not the worst dog owner (in my pov.)

Twice a day, but he’s lucky he gets any, as most walks are a nightmare. On a good walk, Eddi is gambling up and down the river bank on his flexi-lead, the sun is shining, the angels are sprinkling happy dust around and God is watching down from a cloud with a contented look on his face.

Mostly, it’s like this – there is a dog, about 30 metres away as we leave the garden which I don’t see, but he does. I manage his behaviour as we head to the river bank I walk him to the river bank, take a look over the top as I make sure he doesn’t see what is over there. Someone is walking their dog to the right, which is where I want to go as there are fewer dog walkers, and those that are there keep their dogs on the lead. The other way, they let them off lead – not good. I toss treats on the ground away from the dog to stop my dog going berserk, sometimes it works, this time it did, as the dog was just outside his trigger zone, but did elicit a whimper from my chap. I carried on with the walk, with my dog back to his usual self and enjoying doing what dogs do. Then, in the distance, a young lad is walking an Alsatian, so I had to turn round again.

Only to bump headlong into the guy who had been to the right of the river bank. So I nipped into the church yard on to the street to avoid him. We finally got back onto the river bank and resumed our walk. All of this before breakfast – I was exhausted. If he buts headlong into dogs, he just barks and carries on like a demented ballerina. He really is a mentally, deranged nut-job, the walks are only the half of it!

Hehe :rolleyes: course you do :D Mines a pain too but love her anyway....in fact neither girls are without issues but wouldn't want to be without them....well maybe sometimes :p

Hehe :rolleyes: course you do :D Mines a pain too but love her anyway....in fact neither girls are without issues but wouldn't want to be without them....well maybe sometimes :p
Now the little terror has just come in from outside and jumped on me with muddy paws. Hmm, not sure I do love him!

Hehe :D he thinks you enjoy being covered in mud and having to continually clear up after him....just think how boring life would be without him.....peaceful yes...haha :D

Harri gets a 90 minute walk each morning (about 5 human miles, he'll do more of course). We're still holding back a bit because of his age - he'd walk twice that easily given the option.

He'll sometimes get a second much shorter walk in the afternoon if he is driving me crazy....

Harri gets a 90 minute walk each morning (about 5 human miles, he'll do more of course). We're still holding back a bit because of his age - he'd walk twice that easily given the option.

He'll sometimes get a second much shorter walk in the afternoon if he is driving me crazy....
What breed is he?

Im a dog walker, so I am exhausted daily. Sometimes can walk up to 6 hours.
I have been wondering though whether the ones I am dog sitting are getting enough (as I do that as well). Because I walk so much, i sometimes feel I should be walking them more. Today I have a Labrador staying and I took her down the beach for 2 hours this morning. Off the lead on beach played in sea. And I'm about to do a last half an hour walk round the village. She can go out the back as well.

Im a dog walker, so I am exhausted daily. Sometimes can walk up to 6 hours.
I have been wondering though whether the ones I am dog sitting are getting enough (as I do that as well). Because I walk so much, i sometimes feel I should be walking them more. Today I have a Labrador staying and I took her down the beach for 2 hours this morning. Off the lead on beach played in sea. And I'm about to do a last half an hour walk round the village. She can go out the back as well.
that's quite a lot :)

I take Jake for a slow bimble round the block,on the lead, in the morning, about 15/20mins to go not that far, mornings aren't his best time! Then in the afternoon I take him to the woods or over the hill where he's off lead and probably spends more time sniffing than walking these days, but it's his walk and he's still enjoying them in his own way and in his own time...:) Oh and through the day he has goes in and out of the garden, often looking like he's forgotten why he's out there!

Then in the afternoon I take him to the woods or over the hill where he's off lead and probably spends more time sniffing than walking these days, but it's his walk and he's still enjoying them in his own way and in his own time..!

I think you've hit the nail on the head there (bit in bold) .. Because although training is important I think its not the time a walk takes or the amount of miles walked, its the enjoyment factor that really matters. Do we as owners get anything from it and more importantly do the dogs get anything from it?
I know a young woman who walks all day, she is always out but her GSD is kept on a tight short lead barely able to sniff or even stop for a wee , it marches along next to her not looking left or right , never interacting and the pair make a very miserable picture of life with dog.
Then there are the group of old ladies who toddle off to the common everyday at 1pm laughingly known as the lunch club. They wander around quite slowly (Anne-Marie is nearly 80) but the dogs are off lead engaging with each other , in Summer the dogs are allowed to swim etc They might only be out for 45mins or and hour but Im sure the dogs get more out of that shorter walk than the GSD gets from its 6 hour marathon.

I used to take him out 8am-9am every morning as we have a group of dogs that meet each other and they play, and get over excited sometimes. Which would exhaust him out and then he would rest during the day while I am at work so it's great. Then in the evening I would take him for a walk for 20 mins.

But one of the dogs started to get dominant and started to get aggressive to other dogs who would come into the park. So things started to get a bit messy. He started on raffie even though they were best friends. The group started associating raffie with that dog.

Anyway that's quite sad as it took a long time to find that. But anyway we still go out but we go to the river side on the other side of town- we gets to walk off the lead for that hour although he does get to play. But he chases the ducks and does his own thing. So he still gets that exercise, but a different type. He likes playing fetch but not in the mornings for some reason.

Same thing 20 minutes in evening.

Weekends we see which dogs he can play with, if his friends are not out then he plays fetch but days when I have been ill I haven't been able to take him, but my partner only takes him out for a small amount of time... the lazy so and so ....

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back