The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

hows the saluki X whippet like for working

alsh

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
any have an opinion on the saluki cross whippet as i would'nt mind tring this cross.

i had one for 14 yers. they are very good both on rabbits and hares. the biggest fault with them is they are very thin skinned. i had to have mine stiched on a fiew ocasions. havinjg said that there are good and bad in all crosses.and remember ...you only get out of them what you put in them.

cheers jasper and you're dead on mate you do only get out what you put in it pisses me off when people dont bother with thier dogs and expect them to hunt properly..alan

From a non-ped point of view, whippets are bred as sprinters and I believe that saluki`s are stayers/distance coursers. The energy metabolism in muscle is different for these different disciplines and its not really possible to have both at the same time. As such I can`t see what the breeders of such a cross hope to acheive.( apart from increasing the IQ a few 100%)

This doesn`t mean the cross won`t produce effective lurchers and there will be a fair bit of hybrid vigour in this type of cross, but that other crosses are likely to produce better dogs for whatever type of coursing/hunting you wish to use them for - which is perhaps why its not a common cross.

Last edited by a moderator:
hi all ithink it is about were u hunt more than the dog u bye the land and the ground u run on should be the first thing in ur mind not the breed u would like to run

I DISAGREE BREED HAS A HELL OF LOT TO DO WITH DIFFERENT BUILDS,TEMPREMENTS FOR EXANPLE YOU LOOK AT THE JR AND THE LAKELAND TERRIER ON FOX YOUR JR IS A FLUSHER AND YOUR LAKELAND IS A BREAKER EACH GOOD IN ITS OWN RIGHT.

YES TRUE BUT YOU WOULD NOT GET GREY X SALUKI TO RUN ONLY AT RABBITS OR A WHIPP X BEDDIE TO GO HARE COURSING . ITS HORSES FOR COURSES.

Have to agree with Solo on this one,

it's a waste of time having a Saluki/Greyhound for rabbiting to ferrets in small tight fields just as it would be a waste of time running a Whippet/Bedlington on the wide open fens after hare.

The right tool for the right job is the name of the game.

yet i said saluki X whippet not saluki X greyhound ive gone off the idea any way

i have worked with saluki x whippets also saluki x greyhounds both types worked

great on the lamp hedgeing and coursing for the last 25 years i have worked pure salukis lamping hedgeing and coursing all take rabbit and hare with very little problems. as you said you only get out of a dog what you put in to it.

best wishes.

saluqi1.

WHAT SORT OF HUNTING DO YOU HAVE IN MIND.AND ON WHAT SORT OF LAND.P.S AND HOW MUCH EXPERIENCE DO YOU HAVE.

i have permision for working my dogs on small holdings and estates my salukis work on both lands with no problem on recall on command. i was working lurchers 10 years befor the salukis so 35 years in working dogs. the lamp i use is a light force lance when lamping on larger fields but a clue light is used by my friend when lamping in smaller fields the only thing my hounds dont take is fox but i have never tryed them to fox its something i have just never done.

best wishes.

saluqikemp.

I agree myself the whippet half would be better than the saluki. Salukis are said to have endurance but so does the Afghan, Borzoi, and am few others. Personally I think Salukis are helluva awkward. I mean a borzoi/whippet cross would in my opinion be a far superior lurcher than some Saluki. It may be cool for hunting deer or Eurpean hare which are slower than the jackrabbit of America. Or if you choose to upgrade your Saluki but, in the land of Jacks, pronghorn and coyote I would find such a cross useless.

HIYA,

Personaly i prefer greyhound/whippet/collie as you get stamina, sprint and hopefully brains but then offcourse the sizes in the litter will differ greatly and picking the one right for you is hard if not impossible. But we found that they were fantastic all rounders and can take quite a bit off work. The breeding was greyhound/whippet/collie x non-ped raceing whippet . GOOD LUCK. :thumbsup:

You don't really need the collie blood i my opion the whippet has enough smarts, but the ghd X whippet makes one hell of a worker especsicaly when it comes to hare though i'd place it 2nd to the whippet on rabbit and 2nd to the bull X ghd on fox, though still a good alrounder.

any have an opinion on the saluki cross whippet as i would'nt mind tring this cross.
i have a saluki whippet the cleverest lurcher ive seen something else along the bush line top ferreting dog as hard as any bull cross will hit anything in her path top dogs i run her in short grassed small fields and she runs spot on

i have a saluki whippet the cleverest lurcher ive seen something else along the bush line top ferreting dog as hard as any bull cross will hit anything in her path top dogs i run her in short grassed small fields and she runs spot on
Lets see a pic of her.. :thumbsup:

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back