The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Hunting Rabbits With Dogs Your Views

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
The Ferret said:
Hi Kim
1. You can hunt so long as you have the permission of the landowner or his agent (farmer,keeper etc). Hunting without permission is poaching and can carry stiff penalties.

2. Rabbits are the only animals that contract Mixi, therefore it does not affect any other species. I have personally never eaten a rabbit with Mixi but I know of people that have and state that they can't tell the difference. I usually mince up any Mixi-meat for the dogs and ferrets.

3. I wouldn't have thought she'd rip it to shreds on the first catch, but that does depend on the dog. The first time she is likely to stand there in a bit of shocked excitement as if to say "What happened there then!!" Don't worry about it too much.

4. No. It is LEGAL to hunt rabbits and rats with dogs.

What I would add is that if you've never hunted before and are trying to get into it, go out with someone experienced for a couple of times and learn how to humanely dispatch  your quarry as quickly and efficiently as possible. If you find that you can't bring yourself to kill something your dogs have caught, then re-think the hunting.

If you've got an itch though.......................scratch it!

Thank you so much for answering my questions, you have cleared up alot of confusion.

I dont think anyone goes out hunting in bristol....or close by (anyone out there?)

Kim and Tilly

Rae said:
I dont think those photos are suitable for general dog discussion - if it had been coursing, which is perhaps where this thread should have been anyway, then fair enough.
My own dogs have been catching and killing rabbits with Myxi the last few weeks but I wouldn't take pictures of their dead bodies and post them on such a general  forum.

I would rather see the rabbits killed quickly by my dogs then suffer and die  with mxyi but I take no pleasure in taking the life from another animal.

And yes and am a vegetarian 'fluffy'  :p

I do understand that rabbits can be a nuisance and that they do need to be thinned out  for various reasons, but it's just not something I would ever do for pleasure.

totally agree with you , what i dont understand is whywhen people put pics on here of the rabbits they have caught with their dogs THEY ALWAYS COVER UP THEIR FACES SO YOU CANT SEE WHO THEY ARE as if they are ashamed ? ,i also agree when you have a different view from others they get really funny towards you and tell you to p*** off and say they will delete your post ,seems to me they want to have full control over this site

Hi Ja. With the best will in the world and in my quest to always find the best in people I feel that I have failed with you and have concluded that you do appear to have a serious attitude problem. One that I suspect you will not find a cure for within the scope of k9 and that therapy for your sad malaise will best be sought elsewhere. I wish you luck and strongly advise you to get some help. Best wishes as ever,

Lampy

:b Well ja jumper, thought it may have been interesting to you thats all :b .

Think thread had orginally been posted in General dog related discussion and was moved to here as some member/s objected to Levs posting a pic of his dog and rabbits...so dont think its a case of anyone trying to have control, just the moderators being sensitive to members. As for members not sharing the same views............well, you have obviously not visited many of the other sites available should you give Google the words 'hunting with dogs' :clown: this site is by far the most polite and considerate I have come across. :thumbsup:

There is no more boring conversation in the world than when everyone agrees :D but to venture into this coursing section i do wonder what you were expecting to find :blink: Think the blanked out sections of photos dont really need explination :eek:

Often wonder why people have running hounds without appreciating or acknowleging why they came into being...and often wonder what the dogs of those owners are fed on ;)

yeah well said, these dogs are born to hunt and course. when my dogs catch any type of game i buzz for them, 'its what they do best'

maggymills said:
Thought i'd mention something i have witnessed in my area- mid-wales.

When there were regular hunts happening every weekend we rarely saw dead foxes or badgers on the roadside. But now in the distance of 10 miles i saw 6 badgers and 3 foxes- i noticed that they were really large- probably the males.

thats something i've noticed alot of recently. around berks/bucks area there is an awful amount of fox-roadkill, especially since it got colder. further into towns aswell, to me it looks like theres not enough in nature to feed them, so theyre turning to human sources, raiding bins etc. now, i'm not pro-hunt, but surely culling the fox population is actually better for the foxes? less foxes, those out there wont be competing for food and territory? in turn, they wouldnt pose health risks to people through rubbish strewn about, not to mention passing bugs etc to domestic animals?

:oops:

lamping man said:
Hi Ja. With the best will in the world and in my quest to always find the best in people I feel that I have failed with you and have concluded that you do appear to have a serious attitude problem. One that I suspect you will not find a cure for within the scope of k9 and that therapy for your sad malaise will best be sought elsewhere. I wish you luck and strongly advise you to get some help. Best wishes as ever,
Lampy

hello lampy i feel sorry for your partner ,wife ? are you this rude when they dont agree with you :D

Fat chance of that Ja. She who must always be obeyed does not allow me to disagree. :(

THEY ALWAYS COVER UP THEIR FACES SO YOU CANT SEE WHO THEY ARE as if they are ashamed
Ja, unfortunately nowadays there are 'Animal Lovers' who feel it is acceptable to harass people in their homes including their wifes and children to try and enforce their beliefs, they always do this with anomity and mod handed. So its understandable that people dont want that hassle as opposed to being ashamed.

What I find really interesting is the number of people involved in hunting that are active in conservation of wildlife v's the release of mink / wild boars into the wild that conserves nothing and is infact cruel but done under the banner of animal liberation.

I appreciate your views, and you have the right to them, but from what I have read they really do seem to come from a position of ignorance, I appreciate you own a horse but with all respect they dont course too well. If you want a more pursasive argument, research and understand what actually happens when a running dog catches a rabbit or perhaps watch the final years waterloo cup and then at least you can discuss the issue from a basis of fact.

Have a happy new year

Max&Smokey said:
THEY ALWAYS COVER UP THEIR FACES SO YOU CANT SEE WHO THEY ARE as if they are ashamed
Ja, unfortunately nowadays there are 'Animal Lovers' who feel it is acceptable to harass people in their homes including their wifes and children to try and enforce their beliefs, they always do this with anomity and mod handed. So its understandable that people dont want that hassle as opposed to being ashamed.

What I find really interesting is the number of people involved in hunting that are active in conservation of wildlife v's the release of mink / wild boars into the wild that conserves nothing and is infact cruel but done under the banner of animal liberation.

I appreciate your views, and you have the right to them, but from what I have read they really do seem to come from a position of ignorance, I appreciate you own a horse but with all respect they dont course too well. If you want a more pursasive argument, research and understand what actually happens when a running dog catches a rabbit or perhaps watch the final years waterloo cup and then at least you can discuss the issue from a basis of fact.

Have a happy new year

hi i do own horses and six whippets myself my view was just why do they cover up their faces why they enjoy what they do so much when i compete and win i would never cover my face ,its too good for that ,thanks for giving your view ,without being rude

ja jumper said:
Max&Smokey said:

Have a happy new year

hi i do own horses and six whippets myself my view was just why do they cover up their faces why they enjoy what they do so much when i compete and win i would never cover my face ,its too good for that ,thanks for giving your view ,without being rude

happy new year to you all

ja jumper said:
Max&Smokey said:

Have a happy new year

Believe me you would cover your face:-

If you had the threat of antis abusing you and your property and lets face if they can devile a grave of a relative of someone who breeds Guinea pigs for suppling labs they are capable of anything you should be aware there is a faction that believes riding/keeping horses is cruel.

Think thread had orginally been posted in General dog related discussion and was moved to here as some member/s objected to Levs posting a pic of his dog and rabbits...so dont think its a case of anyone trying to have control, just the moderators being sensitive to members.

This is correct ......I for one didn't think general dog related discussion was the right forum for pic's of "caught" rabbits etc :b ......and my lot kill very reguarly :oops: .......

Believe me you would cover your face:-
If you had the threat of antis abusing you and your property and lets face if they can devile a grave of a relative of someone who breeds Guinea pigs for suppling labs they are capable of anything you should be aware there is a faction that believes riding/keeping horses is cruel.

Nasty lot arn't they :(

Haven't read all the posts,but I expect my dogs to be able and capable of catching rabbits.If I didn't want potential prey to fall victim to my dogs then I wouldn't keep any sighthound breeds.

I've watched my dogs catch and kill rabbits,they break the rab's neck on picking it up from ground,any ripping and shredding is done after the rabbit is dead,I think a broken neck is a quick,clean death for a mammal and not cruel.If a rabbit gets away,it is fit to carry on populating more healthy bunnies.My dogs ignore rab's with myxie,or an injured bun that wont run..............they only chase rabbits who can run and turn fast.

Lyd

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back