The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Hunting Rabbits With Dogs Your Views

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register

Here you go Mark here is another couple of him a few years ago with all four!

I forget how big and strong he was when he was working! it was all that showbreeding in his pedigree! :- "

Hi Murphy,

He's a great looking dog looks like he's realy been a good worker for you.

Well done Murphy!

Not posted to offend, but posted because I'm so proud of my little bitch who lives in my eyes each day to the full and is given the life of the hero that she really is!

Here's Bullett and myself with her first Hare

hare14or.jpg

And our first two out of two

hare24qi.jpg

All pictures are pre ban and were taken legally in the daytime on permission.

Well Mike from Hereford...did you anticipate this volume of replies when you posted the topic :lol: 8)

Showed this thread to someone I know who is very anti hunting with dogs, they were very interested, and now are much better informed on a lot of things. They were particularly interested in the pictures, as they assumed the kill would be mutilated by the dogs and much blood and gore in evidence, so were impressed ... anyway away home now with a lamping DVD to watch and have promised to watch the Waterloo cup on Friday night :thumbsup:

all runing dogs/ sight hound are bred to chase game. the game has the advntage

of home turf giving the uper hand (now use a gun it has no chance)

just my opinion

Levs said:
Well done Murphy!
Not posted to offend, but posted because I'm so proud of my little bitch who lives in my eyes each day to the full and is given the life of the hero that she really is!

Here's Bullett and myself with her first Hare

hare14or.jpg

And our first two out of two

hare24qi.jpg

All pictures are pre ban and were taken legally in the daytime on permission.

Levs you look like a burglar on that top one :lol:

Hunting rabbits should never be banned, hunting foxes should never have been banned either. :rant:

If it was banned i wouldn't stop hunting rabbits anyway. My dogs love it and so do i. It's the adrenalin rush of wanting my dog to catch it and watching her do what she was bred to do. Rabbits taste nice to. I prefer rabbit to any other meat.

Alot of people round my way say it's cruel when i think it's perfectly ethical. My dogs catch them and bring them back to me alive then i knock on the head. Painless death in my eyes. :)

hi, in my oppinion its far more humane to hunt for your dinner than to rear animals and then kill them.??

sparky said:
hi, in my oppinion its far more humane to hunt for your dinner than to rear animals and then kill them.??
can't get more free range than that :thumbsup:

>hi, in my oppinion its far more humane to hunt for your dinner than to rear animals and then kill them.??

Depends on how you rear and kill them. But generally I'd agree. With mass produced food animals and then mass slaughtering that's not humane. Being reared indoors in cramped conditions, then going through the stress of a market, and then waiting in line in a place that recks of blood and fear to have your throat cut or to be stunned first. That's not humane.

BeeJay said:
then going through the stress of a market, and then waiting in line in a place that recks of blood and fear to have your throat cut or to be stunned first.  That's not humane.
Sending the bullock that we part-owned to the abattoir was one of the most distressing experiences I've had. The previous owners hadn't halter trained him, so he had to be forced into the trailer against his will. He was absolutely terrified. I didn't go to the abattoir, but I can't imagine he'd have been any calmer there. It did put me off doing it again :( (although it was the best beef we've ever had...)

We do occasionally eat our own cockerels sometimes; they have to be culled as otherwise as they are quite brutal to each other - the Speckledy ones we had were too aggressive to be rehomed anyway. They are killed very quickly and the experience is not distressing, unlike the process commercial broilers go through which genuinely apalls me. The taste of the freerange, home birds is so vastly superior, I find supermarket poultry inedible now anyway.

Sorry, back to the fox hunting thread, at the farm where i take my dogs i have only ever seen a couple of fox's within the day. However now i have seen 4 foxs in the past two weeks, three of which were dead, shot. Their was a hunt that took place a few miles away, in which my 13 yr old sister was involved in and she's vegetarian and really dos'nt like killing but understands it's importance. Foxes need culling thats a fact, anyone who trys to argue that point needs to do some reserch into the damage and diese they can spread, using a gun means that weak and strong foxes alike will die.

One of the Laws of nature: only the fittest survive, otherwise you would have a weak speicies in danger of being threatened by other elements, in banning fox hunting you are putting the spieces at risk. Very few foxes die in hunts and these are usually the weak ones.

This is when the fox hunting debate and sport ? raises several issues, I honestly believe a hunted fox which has gone to earth should be left alone, how can you tell if its weak or the fittest ? I,m sure others are only to keen to put terriers to work. That said if "Charlie" has caused problems in the area, humanely kill it with a bullet to the head.

Mike

i'd rather see a fox dealt with by a good dog than die a long slow death from a prat thats a bad shot?.

hi Mike, i too believe that once the fox has been bolted, and makes it underground again it should be left alone. In this the fitter foxes get away and therefore arn't culled, the weaker ones generally won't out run the hounds. Foxes do need culling, they are dealt with extremely quickly by the dogs and shoting, poisoning and trapping can lead to alot more pain for the fox.

Can i also say how much i love this debate, i don't fox hunt, however i do take part in a fair bit of Rabbiting and believe that again Rabbits are a pain and need culling. just brining up the point of how rabbits were culled, with the disese myxi, perposly introduced, would you rather a rabbit died of myxi, or in a split second from a dog.

great debate Mike, Jake

good post Jake.

as the Moderator it's nice to see a good sensible debate with all party's having their say and putting their veiws accross in a sensible manor. :thumbsup:

Just bumping this up so that ja jumper can read some of the previous posts - with a view to becoming more informed...as I think there are many sensible factual views expressed :thumbsup:

[SIZE=8pt]After reading most of the topic :sweating: can i ask some questions[/SIZE]

1) If i wanted to go out rabbiting with my dog, how would i go about it....do i need to approach a local farmer?

2) if a rabbit has mixi (cant spell it) then i guess its no good for the pot

3) as my dog has never caught or killed anything, tryed catching birds and squirels would she rip it to pieces? (she is 10months old)

4) if i had two dogs would it then be illigel to hunt rabbits?

And can i just say i used to be anti hunting, but now i am more informed i am not against it any more...

Kim and Tilly

Hi Kim

1. You can hunt so long as you have the permission of the landowner or his agent (farmer,keeper etc). Hunting without permission is poaching and can carry stiff penalties.

2. Rabbits are the only animals that contract Mixi, therefore it does not affect any other species. I have personally never eaten a rabbit with Mixi but I know of people that have and state that they can't tell the difference. I usually mince up any Mixi-meat for the dogs and ferrets.

3. I wouldn't have thought she'd rip it to shreds on the first catch, but that does depend on the dog. The first time she is likely to stand there in a bit of shocked excitement as if to say "What happened there then!!" Don't worry about it too much.

4. No. It is LEGAL to hunt rabbits and rats with dogs.

What I would add is that if you've never hunted before and are trying to get into it, go out with someone experienced for a couple of times and learn how to humanely dispatch your quarry as quickly and efficiently as possible. If you find that you can't bring yourself to kill something your dogs have caught, then re-think the hunting.

If you've got an itch though.......................scratch it!

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back