The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Hunting Rabbits With Dogs Your Views

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
Janimal said:
Levs said:
Seeing as I was the only one who put a picture up it's obvious that Rae has aimed her attack at me! I'm sorry that you disagree with my way of life but that is your problem I'm afraid, as I live a wholesome and legal life and will continue to hunt as long as the law allows after all if Tony Blair says I can it can't be wrong :lol:
bf35ny.jpg

Levs I just love that picture. :thumbsup: :wub:

Me too :wub: :wub:

Great pictures Levs, nice to see the pup & ferrets so settled with each other.

Awww fab pics especially the last one of them playing :wub: :wub:

Rae,

It may be symantics but no I dont know anybody who holds a view they know to be wrong. I certainly listen to the other people's views but on a topic like this I dont think people views are based on factual information but are a core belief. As an example JOJESS believes killing animals for sport is wrong (from what I read in her posts (JOJESS) if Im wrong sorry). Nothing anybody writes here would in my opinion suddenly change that. Equally I believe animals are part of a food chain I have no moral problem with hunting and eating animals neither view is right or wrong they our beliefs and what define our character.

Regards not reading this post, my suggestion was based on your two posts where you felt there was perhaps bullying going on. But I am glad your able to tough it out photos and all :))

All the best

Levs those last few photos were great too - keep them coming. :cheers: :thumbsup: I loved the time my brothers ferrets had babies and I looked after them while he was on holiday - they fell out the hutch like little snakes :lol: :lol: i

I literally had to grab them and throw them back in. (w00t)

(Sorry Rae not deliberately changing the subject) :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Ferrets are great little creatures aren't they?

Sometimes the hunter gets bitten!

082800029bq.jpg

My OH whilst out walking years ago found a ferret, it was a bit shabby and had probably got lost whilst hunting maybe, anyway he brought it up gave it a bath, build it a hutch and one morning when he went to feed it he got shock it had had 9 kits (w00t) (w00t) , we didnt have any whippets then so he gave them all away :thumbsup:

bet that ferret was glad to be found lesley :lol:

my dad kept ferrets when i was young and my mum says i use to take a couple to bed every night and they had to wait till i was asleep to take them, the things you do as kids eh :- " :blink: :lol:

Murphy and Toby after a good days work, shortly before murphy's leg came off!

Am not ashamed, just haven't asked my brothers permission to put up his pic!

Murphy1 we are all products of our upbringing, enviroment and society! no two of us are the same, what you love 'to Kill' is your thing, and thats fine for you, but Im one of those struggling to understand, Ive eaten rabbit!! when in switzerland the family I stayed with thought she'd make me feel at home with an English meal!! I ate politely but at 16 i was horrified! :x I think it is partly a woman thing! I take care of many local injured widlife, so it does go against the grain to see it killed for fun, but the world does need women,and compassion as daft and as sentimental as it sounds, and I do agree that there is also a place for the more logical and less sentimental types like yourself,(sorry not being personal just generalising!) I dont want to critise you or what you do, I know so little about it, and even if I did, its your business, Its just a shame you feel the need to try and shock with your grafic picture, I must admit it did make me sad to see, but thats me!!

this is my first post I dont think I should have started on such a controversial topic! but hi everyone :) Samantha

Murphy, i've edited your post to remove your early comments.

I have no objections to the picture but some new rules for K9 have just been introduced so the wording wasn't suitable to be left on.

The new rules are as follows. A couple of sections have been changed and they now read:

By using K9 Community you agree to these rules and must obey them at all times - these rules apply to all areas of K9 Community including the Forums, Gallery, Personal Messenger and the Chat Rooms. Anyone ignoring the forum rules will be liable to appropriate responsive actions. If you do not agree with these rules please do not use K9 Community. Remember that your use of the K9 Community forums is a privilege at our discretion - it is not your right.

and

You must not make personal attacks on other persons, organisations or users. If you feel you must criticise then criticise the idea not the individual or group. Any posts criticising individuals or groups will probably get removed and those doing the critcising will be warned via the warning system

Andy, Having met you I know you are a Gentleman & a true sportsman in every sense of the word so I know you will understand why the wording has been removed. :thumbsup:

Your dog has done a good days work Murphy - blimey.

Im not offended by anyones pictures - I would come onto the Coursing thread otherwise.

My Grandparents relied on the odd rabbit or two to eat years ago - and I must say I have tried rabbit and really liked it. Also in Malta it is a daily dish there - they put in in almost everything - so beware if you go there and try any local dishes.

Rabbit stew, rabbit soup, baked rabbit, rabbit skewered - it is a way of life there, they even take it the the daily outing BBQue on the beach.

I keep pet rabbits and couldnt /wouldnt eat one of my own and am still a bit squeamish about preparing them( wild ones) then having to eat them too - but wouldnt mind if someone else had made the dish - I would be polite and try - its actually very very nice - but what has put a lot of people off is the Myxi thing I think - no-one wants to eat them now because of this.

Had to learn to skin them and prepare them because my OH used to shoot a lot on his Uncles farm - didnt particularly like it - but did it, it was better than them going to waste. Local people loved to have them from us.

Its everyone to their own I suppose.

Mark Roberts said:
Murphy, i've edited your post to remove your early comments.
I have no objections to the picture but some new rules for K9 have just been introduced so the wording wasn't suitable to be left on.

The new rules are as follows. A couple of sections have been changed and they now read:

By using K9 Community you agree to these rules and must obey them at all times - these rules apply to all areas of K9 Community including the Forums, Gallery, Personal Messenger and the Chat Rooms. Anyone ignoring the forum rules will be liable to appropriate responsive actions. If you do not agree with these rules please do not use K9 Community. Remember that your use of the K9 Community forums is a privilege at our discretion - it is not your right.

and

You must not make personal attacks on other persons, organisations or users. If you feel you must criticise then criticise the idea not the individual or group. Any posts criticising individuals or groups will probably get removed and those doing the critcising will be warned via the warning system

Andy, Having met you I know you are a Gentleman & a true sportsman in every sense of the word so I know you will understand why the wording has been removed.  :thumbsup:

No problem Mark, was not trying to be personal just simply replying to the question raised by another memeber.

Am sorry if I have upset anyone it was not my intention.

We do however live in an age where our rights and my sport are endangered, and whilst nobody on here is an anti I do feel the need to champion the sport and not be made to feel ashamed for doing so.

The picture is of a good number of rabbits and a few hares cought a couple of years ago by the two dogs, for those of you who aren't sure the blood you can see is caused by the gutting process carried out by myself.

The animals themselves were caught after being ferreted or coursed, both completely natural methods, the end of all of the caught prey was swift and as humane as is possible.

As I have said in the past I have huge repsect for every animal that I chase including even the rat! I ensure that my methods remain natural and swiftly humane, yes I do enjoy my sport ( love seeing dogs doing what they were bred for ) and yes am happy that they are successful, am not blood thirsty and seek no pleasure from the act of death itself.

Hope this clears up any remaining points I may have raised in my previous shorter post o:)

Thanks Andy,

I knew ther e was no way you would of intentionaly tried to cause offence.

forgot to say great pics (never seen Murphy with 4 legs before)

Much nicer Murphy! You’ve definitely reprieved yourself in my books! :D

as you know Im not a fan of the sport, but I am reading the thread to try and get a better understanding of it, the topic title is 'your views' so surely that means for and against, Murphy I dont understand what you mean by 'anti' (Im a bit green!!) do you mean someone like me, who doesnt like hunting or do you mean someone who tries to stop you?

I wouldnt like to think that anyone who didnt agree with you wasnt welcome on the forum? :(

thanks Samantha :)

samanthaatmaltby said:
Much nicer Murphy! You’ve definitely reprieved yourself in my books! :D
as you know Im not a fan of the sport, but I am reading the thread to try and get a better understanding of it, the topic title is 'your views' so surely that means for and against, Murphy I dont understand what you mean by 'anti' (Im a bit green!!) do you mean someone like me, who doesnt like hunting or do you mean someone who tries to stop you?

I wouldnt like to think that anyone who didnt agree with you wasnt welcome on the forum? :(

thanks Samantha :)

Forgot to say earlier on, a very warm welcome to you Samantha.

I did say that I thought there were no anti's on here and I wouldn't describe you as that at all, an anti I would describe as somebody whom is not at all open minded like yourself but has very strong opinions that they can not express rationally (often). They see only one side of the story and don't except any other.

Unfortunately they are often ill imformed and make no effort to to try and understand or learn where the other side is coming from, by not being a fan of the sport but coming onto threads like this to try and understand more you automatically have my respect :thumbsup:

If after reading this and several other threads you come to the conclusion we are all abhorent, blood thirsty cavemen then that is fine, I will respect that.

In return I would ask you to respect what we do, in this just still free country.

Hope you learn lots, enjoy the talk and are not too put off by the odd picture.

Do you keep Whippets yourself or any other dogs?

thank you for your reply murphy, your quite a charmer really!!! dispite your caveman instincts :D

yes I have a whippet puppy Ive put some pics of her in the gallery puppy section shes very cute!

thanks again for the welcome I appreciate your comments

Samantha :)

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back