The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Hunting With Dogs - For Or Against?

Are you pro or anti hunting with dogs?

• Are you anti hunting with dogs and don`t belong to a recognised racing or coursing club?

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Are you pro hunting with dogs and don`t belong to a recognised racing or coursing club??

• Are you anti hunting with dogs and belong to a recognised racing or coursing club?

• Are you pro hunting with dogs and belong to a recognised racing or coursing club??

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

nigelmcfc

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
A lot has been said on this forum about coursing and hunting with dogs , I`m interested to find out just how deep the anti sentiment is out there amongst whippet owners

the options are too cut and dried for me - nowhere to vote if you support some forms of hunting but not others.

urchin said:
the options are too cut and dried for me - nowhere to vote if you support some forms of hunting but not others.

Yes I agree as I don't agree with stag hunting :angry: .....though my Whippets say they do :oops:

I wonder if the three people who voted anti hunting would come forth and give there reasons why??

hunting ,it was bred into me and my dogs ,but my dogs race too but i don t LOL :thumbsup:

Strike Whippets said:
TC said:
sparky said:
Pennymeadow Whippets said:
Pro Hunting & club member :thumbsup:
As above.. :thumbsup:

Me too :*

TCx

Same here :D ......Whippets were bred to hunt and though its fun to see them chasing after a lure, it's not the real deal ...... I know that we'd never starve in this house :D

totally agree 100% :D

nigelmcfc said:
A lot has been said on this forum about  coursing and hunting with dogs , I`m interested to find out just how deep the anti sentiment is out there amongst whippet owners
Pro hunting, but not in a club

Pro fox hunting but not stag hunting and quite happy for my whippies to course live quarry :thumbsup:

Not in a club, but subscriber to local hunt (foxhounds)

Last edited by a moderator:
We have a hare coursing background so would want to see The Hunting Act repealed. We belong to what was a hare coursing club but after the ban reverted to coursing the lure. I am against the killing of deer by dogs. FULL STOP. I am against all animal cruelty. I had an experience last summer. Out with my dogs we came upon a fox that had been shot but not killed. It was dragging its back legs which were useless to him. Within the space of a few minutes, the fox died. That experience if replacated on hare (and it will be) makes the case for the restoration of hare coursing. Damn shot guns as the maiming indescriminate weapons they areand the fools carrying them . A dog kills clean 100%, weeding out the weak and elderly for the benefit of the gene pool. What does the shotgun do??

Some good replies there, as Sparky says perhaps some of the anti people could explain why they hold their views??

nigelmcfc said:
Some good replies there, as Sparky says perhaps some of the anti people could explain why they hold their views??
I am pro hunting and member of a club.

The people who have voted anti hunting obviously feel that they don't want to give their reasons as to why not, and they shouldn't be pressured into doing so. You haven't asked every pro hunting voter to give their reasons why they feel that way. Some people are happy to have their dogs for no other reason than these breeds also make great pets :)

urchin said:
spot on :thumbsup: coursing is totally different to hunting as the word hunt means to capture or kill the prey,coursing is to do about the chase and all the better if the hare escapes to run another day.its the chase that counts. fox hunt say 20 dogs ,20 horses ,20 riders thats odds of 6o to 1 sounds very fair to me ,2 whippets 1 hare and all the advantage to the hare .no comparrison.coursing yes hunting no member of race and coursing club.theres a very good story to read called fox hunt texas style set in the future.which puts it into perspective.you have to google it :thumbsup: and didnt sparky put one of these surveys on not so long ago and at least refined it to coursing , :oops:

controversial said:
urchin said:
spot on :thumbsup: coursing is totally different to hunting as the word hunt means to capture or kill the prey,coursing is to do about the chase and all the better if the hare escapes to run another day.its the chase that counts. fox hunt say 20 dogs ,20 horses ,20 riders thats odds of 6o to 1 sounds very fair to me ,2 whippets 1 hare and all the advantage to the hare .no comparrison.coursing yes hunting no member of race and coursing club.theres a very good story to read called fox hunt texas style set in the future.which puts it into perspective.you have to google it :thumbsup: and didnt sparky put one of these surveys on not so long ago and at least refined it to coursing , :oops:

So what about rabbiting then?, you capture the rabbit , well if you`ve got a decent dog you do:thumbsup:

The NCC rules also state that it is the duty of persons on the field to despatch the hare if they are the nearest to it, what would you do then? Stick to your plastic bags and answer this honestly ,have you ever attended a hare coursing meeting?- in my book you`re an anti :thumbsup: Join the LACS mate, they need a few members to boost their funds :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

nigelmcfc said:
controversial said:
urchin said:

So what about rabbiting then?, you capture the rabbit , well if you`ve got a decent dog you do:thumbsup:

The NCC rules also state that it is the duty of persons on the field to despatch the hare if they are the nearest to it, what would you do then? Stick to your plastic bags and answer this honestly ,have you ever attended a hare coursing meeting?- in my book you`re an anti :thumbsup: Join the LACS mate, they need a few members to boost their funds :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

rabbiting is pest control,and i answered it honestly coursing yes ,fox hunting no,what part of that english dont you get or did you skip school that day .was out in the feilds in the late sixties when i was a kid with the local scrapper and his hounds .seems if people dont agree with your views you take except ion to them.in my book i am anti fox :thumbsup: as for my dogs i think you would find their breeding hard to beat i even think you have alot of the same as your own :oops: sooty sam ,laguna ,lynperry and all within the standard :thumbsup: :p

Last edited by a moderator:
controversial said:
nigelmcfc said:
controversial said:
urchin said:

rabbiting is pest control,and i answered it honestly coursing yes ,fox hunting no,what part of that english dont you get or did you skip school that day .was out in the feilds in the late sixties when i was a kid with the local scrapper and his hounds .seems if people dont agree with your views you take except ion to them.in my book i am anti fox :thumbsup: as for my dogs i think you would find their breeding hard to beat i even think you have alot of the same as your own :oops: sooty sam ,laguna ,lynperry and all within the standard :thumbsup: :p

Their breeding might be right, but do you test them on what they were bred for , and don`t say you lure course them as with that breeding they deserve more than a carrier bag :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back