The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Hunting With Dogs - For Or Against?

Are you pro or anti hunting with dogs?

• Are you anti hunting with dogs and don`t belong to a recognised racing or coursing club?

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Are you pro hunting with dogs and don`t belong to a recognised racing or coursing club??

• Are you anti hunting with dogs and belong to a recognised racing or coursing club?

• Are you pro hunting with dogs and belong to a recognised racing or coursing club??

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
Am new on the forum and clicked on here. I haven't voted on the thing yet but am very interested in some of the replies.

I have a whippet but am anti *my* whippet hunting. This is for religious reasons and because I am (though I grew up in the country) basically of an urban background and am, therefore, a bit of a pansy. :b

Seriously though, I am just chipping in here because one of you (Bellefire?) mentioned that some ppl like whippets etc because they, as well as being great hunting dogs, make outstanding family pets. Which they do. And they are beautiful.

And also because you wanted to here what those of us who might vote against would be thinking.

Having lived in the country all my life I am friends with gamekeepers etc and have no problem with bloodsports and pest control as a vital part of the rural economy and fabric and way of life etc etc. It's just that I get creeped out if I see my cat eat a spider :blink: . . . let alone Cody murdering a baby bunny or something.

I know it's silly, but there you go - a daft lassie's point of view. Please dont flame me . .

Btw - we have a young hare coming into the garden every day. It's ok as I dont grow anything interesting and we have no neighbours and I like to see it. Cody hasn't chased it yet, which is odd. Will probably have the screaming heebie jeebies if he does.

I'm not some anti-hunt sabateur or anything, just an ordinary person and dog lover but I can't see what the pleasure is in killing animals, they must be so terrified and in so much pain.

Personally I hope they don't bring back hunting, it would be lovely if all creatures were allowed to live peacefully.

My friend thinks I'm barmy she says "Lynne, life is not a Disney movie!" - Pity (w00t)

Last edited by a moderator:
what the hell do all you bunny huggers have whippets for get your self a bloody poodle let the dog do what it was breed to do that was to kill live pray be it rabbit hare fox or DEER yes i know poor we bambi but god does it tast nice if we leave the breeding of whippet in people like all yous antis hands it will go the same way as so many other breeds thats why i and others do so much to promote the whippet as a working dog long live these little killing mecines

robert

Luckily for the breed, I would never presume to breed whippets. I bought an animal that was pet quality from a breeder of racing and show whippets and so it was the knowledgable breeder that decided that this animal was not suitable to be bred from and then sold into the pet market.

However, he has happened to make the most even tempered dog I have ever had and I will continue to support the practice of selling off "sub standard" whippets to the family/pet markets.

Pity its not so easy for thoroughbreds who dont make the grade.

the only reason there are sub standered whippets is cuz of people not useing them for what nature intended after a while if people mate non worker to non worker the line will start to lose that prey drive its up to people who work these dogs to keep the breed alive not just rabbit but rat fox hare and small deer to make a better all round whippet and only breed from the best

robert

milliken said:
the only reason there are sub standered whippets is cuz of people not useing them for what nature intended after a while if people mate non worker to non worker the line will start to lose that prey drive its up to people who work these dogs to keep the breed alive not just rabbit but rat fox hare and small deer to make a better all round whippet and only breed from the best
robert

Yeah. Actually I did hear this *after* I got Cody. Also I heard that I should have gotten a dog from working rather than show lines particularly - the arguement being that dogs bred for show often have a flashy and annoying personality as they are bred for that "star quality" that can be actually quite hard to live with. It was surprising to me that the worker lines are supposed to be actually easier to train, more biddable etc, than the other lines.

I think I lucked out with Cody as his nature is soft and gentle around children etc but it might not have been the case.

Tbh, I dont know if his lines are mixed.

Anyway, I am not backing down here. You are probably right re the breeding thing but I not a flippin' bunny hugger. To admit to squeamish, mixed and somewhat hyprocitical feelings re the bloodsports does not make me so. Just realistic.

I got him as a pet. He wont be bred from and I am really glad I got him. I know what you are on about re preserving the true nature of the whippet and breeding only from the best of the working lines. My neighbour is a gamekeeper and is really into his labs and lurchers. He is also one of my best friends. And yes, he scoffed at Cody (called hiim a "wee rat") and we argued. He is still one of my best friends and he now admits Cody is a beautiful animal with a breathtaking run. And yes, he would love to take him coursing . .

well let him you never know you might even injoy yours self it not the way a lot of antis make it out its not like some these poster that anties put up its over very quick and there is no more beautiful site than your whippet trying to out smart it prey all in the name of pest control and putting meat on the table

robert

milliken said:
well let him you never know you might even injoy yours self it not the way a lot of antis make it out its not like some these poster that anties put up its over very quick
I know. Quicker than a long journey to auction , . . then to another auction . . then to the slaughter house.

I cant go coursing because of my religion but I have considered letting my friend take him. Will it make him (the dog, that is) more difficult though? He is good withthe cats in the house atm.

it will make him no diffrent with the cat once he is broke to them there will not be a problem the dog will be alot more happyer for it

robert

All things bright and beautiful.......... :D :D :cheers: (w00t)

DNA8.jpg

:thumbsup:

I am a member of a recognised club and i work my dogs and it suits us all , my family of human and hairy enjoy the fruits of our labours , local farmers are pleased with a free service and my dogs are doing what they were bred to do :thumbsup:

Hunting dogs are for hunting, if you own one and complain about hunting you are two faced these whippet owners who do all the moaning if you read there post its my baby this or my little angle they talk about there dogs as if they are children, just plain fools who don't know what a running dog was made for if it wasn't t for hunting there would not be a decent whippet around anti hunters make me SICK. :rant:

spot on :thumbsup: coursing is totally different to hunting as the word hunt means to capture or kill the prey,coursing is to do about the chase and all the better if the hare escapes to run another day.its the chase that counts. fox hunt say 20 dogs ,20 horses ,20 riders thats odds of 6o to 1 sounds very fair to me ,2 whippets 1 hare and all the advantage to the hare .no comparrison.coursing yes

So if two whippets were to course & Kill a fox in the daytime or on the lamp with the advantage clearly going to the fox as it would bite back unlike the Hare would that be OK ?

Or were a single handed whippet to do the above in the name of vermin control with the advantage clearly in the fox's favour would that also be ok ?

Food for thought ..............

Natural predators to the fox are golden eagles, wolves, lynx and some other large cats.

Apart from the golden eagle, man has done an effective job in eliminating the other predators over the centuries in this country :(

Because the fox has no natural predators left, the elderly, sick and infirm foxes die slow and painful deaths. In nature, with natural predators, this would not happen as they would be caught, killed and eaten before they suffered too much. The strong would survive, thus strengthening the species.

The foxhound takes the place of a fox's natural predator. It was EXTREMELY rare for hounds to kill a strong and fit fox when hunting, but they did a useful job in ending the miserable existence of sick and old foxes which a marksman would not find.

Foxes live in the food chain, as do rabbits etc and therefore it is natural for a fox to be hunted. A fox does not normally go straight to ground in a burrow when alarmed. It prefers to rely on it's speed and intelligence to outsmart any threat.

In short, when being hunted, a fit and healthy fox does what it is on this earth to do ....... be wily and cunning and get best on the day :thumbsup:

Today I saw a young, previously healthy fox lying dead on the side of the road. One of thousands which will be killed or left dying on the tarmac over the next few months as they move around looking for new territory for themselves. I wonder how long that fox lay in agony until he died?

Should we therefore ban motor vehicles? :- "

Pro Hunting...but not part of a club.... :thumbsup:

Dont like needless killing either, but in total agreement with fox control.

jinnyfizz said:
Food for thought ..............
Natural predators to the fox are golden eagles, wolves, lynx and some other large cats. 

Apart from the golden eagle, man has done an effective job in eliminating the other predators over the centuries in this country :(

Because the fox has no natural predators left, the elderly, sick and infirm foxes die slow and painful deaths.  In nature, with natural predators, this would not happen as they would be caught, killed and eaten before they suffered too much.  The strong would survive, thus strengthening the species.

The foxhound takes the place of a fox's natural predator.  It was EXTREMELY rare for hounds to kill a strong and fit fox when hunting, but they did a useful job in ending the miserable existence of sick and old foxes which a marksman would not find.

Foxes live in the food chain, as do rabbits etc and therefore it is natural for a fox to be hunted.  A fox does not normally go straight to ground in a burrow when alarmed. It prefers to rely on it's speed and intelligence to outsmart any threat. 

In short, when being hunted, a fit and healthy fox does what it is on this earth to do ....... be wily and cunning and get best on the day :thumbsup:

Today I saw a young, previously healthy fox lying dead on the side of the road.  One of thousands which will be killed or left dying on the tarmac over the next few months as they move around looking for new territory for themselves.  I wonder how long that fox lay in agony until he died?

Should we therefore ban motor vehicles? :- "

an excellent post :thumbsup: the same can be said now for the deer dying by britains roads , very slow painful deaths :(

Janimal said:
Pro Hunting...but not part of a club.... :thumbsup:
Dont like needless killing either, but in total agreement with fox control.

I don't think any sportsperson would agree with needless killing but control of vermin which include rats/rabbits/foxes done in the right way has to be done.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back