The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Hunting

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
My nine year old is going to camp next spring, they'll do abseiling, orienteering, lots of time spent out of doors having great fun. Usually the teachers assemble a basic fist aid kit with Waspeze, Calpol, Antiseptic wipes etc. This year they are not allowed to do that. They don't seem to know why, but have told parents it's new Health and Safety guidelines. They have told us that we can send a basic first aid kit with our child, in a sealed box, which they the teachers will lock away in a cupboard (so that's two classes in the year group, about 46 first aid boxes). IF one of our children is stung, scratched, scraped, whatever, they must go to the teacher who will give them the first aid box. The child (9 years old) must then apply any first aid THEMSELVES because the teacher is not allowed to 'touch' the child in case their 'touch' is considered abusive.
it is mainly in case a child has an allergic reaction to somthing the school/teacher had supplied then they would be open to being suide! bloody daft if you ask me lets get back to the good old days.

I understand, but people have always had allergies - and at Camp this always used to be dealt with by sending out a medical form and questionnaire asking for permission for your child to have waspeze etc. Much more sensible.

My youngest started school last year and we had to sign a form to say if he ever had an accident that needed hospital treatment we gave permission for them to take him, apparently if they don't get permission and take a child to hospital they can be sued! absolute garbage to me and thats whats wronge with this country these days to many daft decissions being made.

can you imagine?? Child needs life-saving treatment FAST and they're all scrabbling about in a filing cabinet in the school office trying to find out whether they've got permission...

child dies but the school doesn't get sued. And that's a good thing?

Helen :nuke:

Last edited by a moderator:
you cant blame the teachers or anyone else who takes precautions against being sued.its an expensive problem.blame the great british public and the solicitors (ambulance chasers)who sue at the drop of a hat these days.if we all took more responsibility for our actions then public bodies like schools,councils,sports centres etc wouldnt have to take the precautions they do.i have a shop in a local town,last week a small child was climbing up on the counter by bracing their feet against the glass cabinets.when i approached the parents and asked them to stop the child doing it i was told you should have railings round them so that kids cant climb up them.my reply was no,my responsibility ends with supplying toughened glass in the cabinets,your responsibility starts by telling your child to get down and stop doing it.its called control.something that some kids are sadly not acquainted with these days.if you are in a profession these days where you are dealing with the public,you must have public liability insurance.if a few folk sue for whatever reasons then the premiums go up.its a fact of life.but although we all decry this sue for anything society weve created i wonder how many of us wouldnt sue if we didnt think it was morally right,but would go ahead anyway for the money.quite a few i would imagine.did anyone hear about the bus in liverpool involved in a crash?22 people on board.by the time the ambulance chasers had got to them an told them to tell their friends to make a claim there were 126 claims put in!after the police sent each claimant a letter about the penalties for fraud all claims were dropped! :- "

Kris, I get your point absolutely, and I'm not really blaming the teachers but those lawyers who twist everything and make our society what it is (along with a portion of the populace who feed them). It's just a shame that teachers, health professionals etc get stuck in the middle.

And I would be one of the people who wouldn't sue because I DO think it's morally wrong. A couple of years ago I tripped over a loose sticky-up paving stone. But I'd been out for a meal and had a few drinks, so blamed myself. I should have been paying more attention to where I was walking :angry: . Two broken bones, foot in plaster for a month, lots of pain. Still can't wear high heels because of the lumpy bones there. LOTS of people urged me to look into suing the council for not maintaining the pavement. If I had done it, I wouldn't have been able to look myself in the face again!! However quite a few people told me I was a fool.

Helen.

Anyway, back to the hunting issue...!

Last edited by a moderator:
.....because I can't sit on my fat arse in front of a computer pontificating, when I know people are fighting for the sport I love.
I will be at the Champs.....and Stanborough, and three coursing stakes which I have already entered, before xmas.....I will also be at work 6 days a week, in a job which is also in the firing line of the antis, animal rights, etc.
For what it's worth.... I have to add my twopennyworth to say you have my admiration and support John, hope to see you out soon?

Scott Frodsham said:
Is it just me or is coursing neglected ?  :b
There seems no mention of it, all people want to talk about is fluffy little foxes and red coats!

Scott.
GOOD POINT SCOT.

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back