The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

I Didn't Realise...

Scottish Lind@

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
Found something on another site that stated:

"Lurcher specifically means a sighthound (greyhound, whippet, deerhound, wolfhound, etc.) crossed with a NON-sighthound, most commonly a collie or terrier; a mix of two or more sighthounds is a longdog".

Can someone in the know out there in K9-land tell me if this is correct please?

yep thats right A lurchers a type of dog not a spasifec breed. If its a sighthound cross sighthounds its realy a longdog but most peoepl put them in the lurcher catagory. Just out of curiosity what did you think a lurcher was

Last edited by a moderator:
Description is spot on. My Meg is a longdog as she is a whippet x grey.

Natalie

A lurcher is a sighthound x herding dog.

A Wherrier is a whippet x terrier

A longdog is a sighthound x sighthound normally bred for coursing. The term I believe was coined by Ted Walsh. He of the book Lurchers and Longdogs.

Wherrier - I like that name lol - someone I know had one - now I know what to call it (amongst other things :- " )

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Well...Fleesh...there is a tale to tell there...do tell??????????????????

>

>

>

>

Go on..................................................... :D

A wherrier i think is just a made up name! once you start making loads of names like that, thats when the confusing starts! i think a lurcher should just stay at being any sighthound crossed with a non-sighthound and then longdogs being 2 or more sighthounds being crossed together! there is no point to having a pile of different names!

OH FOR GODS SAKE WISE-UP....WHERRIER!! :eek: :eek: JUST WHERE THE HELL DID THAT COME FROM??? :wacko: THATS NEARLY AS BAD AS THE PERSON WHOS POODLE GOT SHAGGED BY THE GUY ROUND THE NEXT BLOCKS LABRADOR AND DECIDED TO CALL THE MONGRELS..LABRADOODLES IS IT NOT? :oops: ITS LURCHERS AND LONGDOGS....END OF STORY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

wow, I've learend stuff today. I thought "longdog" was any pointy-nosed hound :wacko: I'm glad I've wised up :lol:

Saw an advert in our local pet shop, "For sale Sprocker Pups"

Asked what the breeding was and no one knew,

thinking over it its got to be a springer x cocker spaniel ?

Is that correct ?

Mike

Mike from Hereford said:
Saw an advert in our local pet shop, "For sale Sprocker Pups"

Asked what the breeding was and no one knew,

thinking over it its got to be a springer x cocker spaniel ?

Is that correct ?

Mike

MIKE

RE MY LAST REPLY.."WHERRIERS" :rant: SAME THING APPLIES HERE.. SOME CHARACTERS BITCH SPRINGER WAS PROBABLY CAUGHT BY AN EXCUSE FOR A COCKER THAT RESEMBLED A SPRINGER (w00t) (w00t) SO REALLY EMBARASSED :b THEY THOUGHT......."HEY LETS CALL THESE MONGRELS" SPROCKERS !

CAN EVERYONE JUST STOP MAKING UP RIDICULOUS NAMES FOR THEIR MONGS!! :angry:

I seem to have opened a can of worms on starting this thread? Good! Nice to know I'm not the only person on a learning curve.

:))

stormydog said:
OH FOR GODS SAKE WISE-UP....WHERRIER!!  :eek:   :eek:    JUST WHERE THE HELL DID THAT COME FROM??? :wacko:    THATS NEARLY AS BAD AS THE PERSON WHOS POODLE GOT SHAGGED BY THE GUY ROUND THE NEXT BLOCKS LABRADOR AND DECIDED TO CALL THE MONGRELS..LABRADOODLES IS IT NOT?  :oops:    ITS LURCHERS AND LONGDOGS....END OF STORY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Well I've learned something new today as well. There are more diplomatic ways of saying what you think though, as irritated as you might feel by the subject under discussion :- "

(w00t) I thought storymdogs replies, straight to the point and reasonably amusing :lol:

But then I've been reading on another site about 'Plummer terriers' at one time being identifiable by type...in that the range of things that were presented as PT's were so varied as to be identifiable by how different they were :blink:

Still though Wherrier - it's such a funny name :lol:

Sorry I can see the funny side of things :- "

Incidentally does anyone think Daschunds are "long-dogs" too :oops:

Maybe two sighthound crosses should be called Binocularhounds ... can anyone think of any other names ???

Extra-long-sight-hounds maybe :blink:

One of my dogs is known as "Deutschlander" he is a rottwieler X german shepard :clown:

Rather reminds me of the joke of what would you call a cross between a bullterrier and Shih Tzu :p

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back