The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

I Have A Non Showing Whippet Question!

Meandi

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
Sorry about this sort of question but I thought you might have some experience that could avoid us making an expensive mistake!!

We are about to buy a new lounge suite - probably two setees. Now the whippets often sit on the settees with us in an evening, and have also been know to use the one at the end of the lounge as a springboard (running full pelt from one end to the other and bouncing off the seat/back of the settee as they chase each other!!)

But we are not sure what material we should get. We like leather - but are concerned that leather would get scratched or torn by their claws from time to time. And most other sofas these days appear to be of a woven material, which we think they would catch and pull with their claws.

Anyone any experience of either or suggestions of what material we could go for? We have two old sofas at present covered in draylon, but that's a bit naff these days!

Thanks

Dave :)

In an ideal world I'd say keep the old one for the whips :lol: but seriously whatever you get I would advice putting a throw on to keep your suite nice,it's easier to wash a throw than the suite,especially if they are using it for a trampoline which mine do also, and if its leather they probably wont want to sit on it without a throw because it will be cold :* if you keep the whips nails short and filed so they are not sharp they should'nt click a woven one.

Hope this helps

Lesley

Hi, we recently had this dilemma. we went for a sort of suede finish from DHS as we were worried about scratched from the "digging" lol. We had it stain proofed and its been really good.

Meandi said:
Sorry about this sort of question but I thought you might have some experience that could avoid us making an expensive mistake!!
We are about to buy a new lounge suite - probably two setees. Now the whippets often sit on the settees with us in an evening, and have also been know to use the one at the end of the lounge as a springboard (running full pelt from one end to the other and bouncing off the seat/back of the settee as they chase each other!!)

But we are not sure what material we should get. We like leather - but are concerned that leather would get scratched or torn by their claws from time to time. And most other sofas these days appear to be of a woven material, which we think they would catch and pull with their claws.

Anyone any experience of either or suggestions of what material we could go for? We have two old sofas at present covered in draylon, but that's a bit naff these days!

Thanks

Dave  :)

There is always the third option of getting rid of the whippets.

Well it is AN option :oops:

OH YES IT IS!! :p :cheers: :p

dawn said:
Meandi said:

Thanks

Dave  :)

There is always the third option of getting rid of the whippets.

Well it is AN option :oops:

OH YES IT IS!! :p :cheers: :p

As if (w00t) :p or you could just keep the old one and get a throw and buy some more whippets with the money :thumbsup:

OK - yes I could take the 3rd option and get rid of the Whipps - novel way to end a marraige!!

And yes - we have already decided to put one of the old sofa's in the dog room for the Whipps (and English Setters) to use.

As for keeping them and spending the money on more whippets - how can I put this - [SIZE=14pt]NO![/SIZE]

we brought a leather suite last october :D and was a bit worried about their claws,but so far no problems,we cover the settee anyway but also they got our old one.

Buy another Whippet with the money??!!??? Like i did!!! (w00t)

Last November we were gonna buy a nice new suite but ended up buying our first whippet which took a large chunk out of the sofa fund.

Then in March after savng up again we bought Diamond :- " after getting Genie in July we have given up on the sofa idea and figured that when we get desperate we will just get a sofa on tick!! (w00t)

Who cares how bad your sofa is when its covered in Whippets!!!!

We have a leather suite (the soft squishy type, not the hard Chesterfield ones) and it is the best purchase furniture-wise that we have ever made. Had it quite a few years now and, famous last words, it has not become worse for wear at all.

Hi,

We have leather, only got it as we thought it would be better for the dogs, they dont scratch it or anything, and if the do circuit the frontroom of the back of it, i just clean it with saddle soap, if its scuffed occasionally. We have had it four years and it still looks new, they do have blankets on it to lay on, None of mine like to get their delicate little botties on cold leather!! :b Its really easy to keep clean and wipe off if you need to. :thumbsup:

We have a leather one too(soft squishy type too) - its a year old now and looks like we just got it even though the dogs do lie on it now and again :- " without the throw. I agree with sunny it is very easily cleaned and not cold at all - at least mine isnt - and the dogs still love to lie on it and the cats too and not a single scratch - yet anyway. :unsure:

A throw could go right over it very easily and looks really good anyway. :thumbsup:

Last edited by a moderator:
We have leather as well. Also had a fabric one in our last place. The advantage of the leather one is hairs don't stick to it.

We had a leather one for years, it was great and I still miss it, we had no trouble with the dogs at all but my boys used to moan like hell in the summer if they sat on it in thier shorts cos it was freezing for a few minutes (w00t)

Yep! Go with the Leather. The soft cushion kind.

Hope I can try it out ,maybe next year. If the Whippies leave a space.

Sandy

We have a leather one in the snug & an old Victorian velvet one in the conservatory and I would definitely say Leather, even though we use throws the material one is constantly covered in fine hairs either off the whippets or the cat :(

The leather one has a small tear in it but I think that's more down to it's age than the dogs :oops: .

Definitely go for leather :D wont date as quick as fabric.

We had the same dilemma last year and went to this furniture showroom to buy two fabric sofas. All the leather ones were on offer and the salesperson asked our reasons for not getting leather. We said about our two dogs liking to lounge on them and not wanting them scratching etc. He asked if we had the dogs with us {we did} and then asked us to bring them into the showroom.

Ellie Girl {lab/collie x} and Ruby Tuesday { cocker spaniel} had a funfilled hour of jumping and playing on some really gorgeous leather settees and there wasn't a scratch to be seen!

We've had them a year now and they clean really well. They came with leather protector and cleaner and if any marks do appear they're soon gone.

bunty williams said:
We had the same dilemma last year and went to this furniture showroom to buy two fabric sofas. All the leather ones were on offer and the salesperson asked our reasons for not getting leather. We said about our two dogs liking to lounge on them and not wanting them scratching etc. He asked if we had the dogs with us {we did} and then asked us to bring them into the showroom.
Ellie Girl {lab/collie x} and Ruby Tuesday { cocker spaniel} had a funfilled hour of jumping and playing on some really gorgeous leather settees and there wasn't a scratch to be seen!

We've had them a year now and they clean really well. They came with leather protector and cleaner and if any marks do appear they're soon gone.

where was this showroom? the sales staff seem to panic when they see us accompanied by our 3 children (w00t)

The showroom was in Chadderton near Oldham and we THINK it was called Sofa World or Sofa Company or something like that.

We had cups of tea and the girls got water- it was a very strange but amusing afternoon!

goodness me, aren't you all posh with your leather sofas! :rolleyes:

we've been thinking about new sofa too and thought that leather ones were either too delicate (4 dogs, 2 kids), too floompy (can't sit up!) or too hard (old man can't sleep on them!), perhaps we should take a closer look :thumbsup:

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back