The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Ibuprofen

zany

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
Hi.
For all of you who like me have spent hours trying to find out whether there is any difference between human Ibuprofen and the far more expensive dog Ibuprofen.
You would think it would be easy to find out and you might think that vets are being deliberately obtuse to make you buy their products.
Here is my answer. (based on what I have read)
The chemical compound of both is the same, but (and its a big BUT. The absorbtion rates of ibuprofen in dogs and humans is very different)
So while you may be able to work out the correct dosage for your dog in human Ibuprofen, the human type will not contain the slow release inhibitors that dog Ibuprofen carries.
(Its even more critical with cats)
Anyway, I hope this post will help fill the gaps in the information found online, and I hope I've got this right.

Yes, there are a number of things that are metabolised differently in dogs; I believe antihistamine is another.

Bizarrely, members of the public can buy pet medications cheaper from discount providers than vets can get them - they cannot use these providers for some reason. I don't know why, but I was told that by a vet. You would still need a prescription from your vet which you will be charged for.

Hi.
For all of you who like me have spent hours trying to find out whether there is any difference between human Ibuprofen and the far more expensive dog Ibuprofen.
You would think it would be easy to find out and you might think that vets are being deliberately obtuse to make you buy their products.
Here is my answer. (based on what I have read)
The chemical compound of both is the same, but (and its a big BUT. The absorbtion rates of ibuprofen in dogs and humans is very different)
So while you may be able to work out the correct dosage for your dog in human Ibuprofen, the human type will not contain the slow release inhibitors that dog Ibuprofen carries.
(Its even more critical with cats)
Anyway, I hope this post will help fill the gaps in the information found online, and I hope I've got this right.

Any human pills are dangerous
Please do not give any animal them trust me I worked in a lab for my sins years ago now I am a veggie and a dog walker

Any human pills are dangerous

The only exception I'm aware of is Piriton. I carry it with me on dog walks in case of adder bites.

Having said that - it isn't a good idea to give your pet medication just because some random person on a forum said it's OK;)

It works the other way too - we shouldn't take medicines prescribed for pets. When my cat was prescribed diazepam I was surprised to discover that his dosage was similar to that for a human. It was a long time ago, it might not have been that close an amount but certainly, if I'd taken a few of his tablets on the basis that I weigh a lot more than him, I'd have ended up a lot more chilled than intended....:eek:

My word of advice: Speak with your dog's vet and they can advice you on what products you can and cannot give a dog. The vets have specific medication such as anti inflammatory medication; we would use ibuprofen but a dog can have rheumocam (this is a prescription only medication directed by vets only). Vets do give out pricey medication for a reason.

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back