The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

If you had to chose another pet...

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register

yes, parrots take an INORDINATE amount of time, space, & money! -
cat-owners think that dogs are such time-suckers? - Huh. :rolleyes: Little do they know! - The average dog's needs are a mere hobby, compared to a parrot - parrots, or even "a" parrot, are a full-time vocation. U need a spiritual calling to bear-up under the load.
Any parrot, even a sane relatively easy-going one who isn't emotionally damaged & extra-needy, sucks 4 to 5 X the investment of time that an average dog requires - to say nothing of the cost of food, space / caging, destructible toys, INdestructible toys that are also safe, & exotics vet-care, which is enormously expensive, when compared to the vet-fees that dogs & cats generate.

Not kidding - many parrot-owners incorporate their parrot into their daily schedule, as otherwise U cannot possibly meet their needs for interactive face-time. BEING IN THE SAME ROOM doesn't count; they need eye-to-eye talk, handling, scritchies, focused attn.
Lots of parrot-owners shower with them as one way of spending 15-mins or more with their parrot; I trained Max, my Tres-Marias Amazon, to keep to his own side of the breakfast table, & we ate together every morning, so he could cope with my being gone for 8-hrs at work. I taught him to drink from a bottle-cap he could footle, & he'd have O.J. with me, plus a variety of fresh veg & fruit, healthy low-sugar carbs, etc. // That was 45-mins of my day, spent attentively with my bird. Give him 10-mins less, & he'd be stressed & screaming by 3-pm. :(

In the wild, parrots spend hours flying for miles every day, to forage, bathe, eat clay from riverbanks, meet other birds for social time, etc, moving their range seasonally as certain fruits, plants, seeds, nuts, & even blossoms come into production, ripen, or go dormant. Parrots in captivity have a lot of time on their feet, & they need stuff to do, & ppl to interact with if they are not in a bonded pair - or even if they are; they still need some human time to maintain their human-sociable side.
Without sufficient busywork & social contact - whether that's with other birds, humans, or other species - parrots can literally go crazy; they can become neurotic, or even psychotic. :eek:

- terry

Unless it's possible to give them free flying, I'm tempted to think that it shouldn't be permitted to breed them or take them from the wild, so eventually there will be none in captivity (excepting maybe in zoos with large aviaries and/or for conservation purposes) because it's not possible for them to exhibit their normal behaviour. For most people, they are completely unsuitable as pets, and they are almost invariably going to suffer when their owner dies or can't care for them any more. And most people will be seduced by their obvious charm and just not consider the impact they are going to have on their lives.

My boss at the kennels had an African Grey called Percy, when I used to walk in in the morning he used to say 'hello Pauline',(always just a little odd when a bird says hi to you,but) I used to share a small piece of my chocolate bar with him in my break, which he loved, until we found out choc was poisonous for parrots, Percy didn't talk to me for over a week when I stopped the sharing!(it was only a small piece and he is still going strong as far as I know!)
If I could have another pet though it would be chickens or maybe a turkey...

I agree with you Judy but also I would say there are some breeds of dogs that aren't suited as 'pets', huskies for example or other working dogs that unless you are able to give them the right amount of time, energy and stimulus generally will not have a great life or end up in rescue centres because the owners can't 'cope' with them. But also maybe there are a lot of different animals that we shouldn't keep as pets too...

I totally agree that these wonderful birds should be in the wild if at all possible and we would never breed Basil because we know most people have no idea what they are letting themselves in for when they take on a parrot..

... I would say there are some breeds of dogs that aren't suitable as pets...
maybe there are a lot of [other species] that we shouldn't keep as pets, too.

Most nocturnal species are not suitable pets - gerbils, for instance.

Giant snakes are not suitable as pets - a full-grown Burmese python can easily approach 20 feet & can weigh over 250 pounds; any snake over 8-ft should be handled by TWO ppl, always, & snake-owners violate that rule all of the time. Many pay the ultimate price - their "pet" wraps a coil around them, & they smother. :shrug: Darwin's law - stoopidly risky behavior can be fatal. :rolleyes:
2 young boys in Canada died in their beds, a few years back, when a giant snake belonging to a relative escaped her? / his? cage & went thru a vent in the wall, eventually exiting the duct in their bedroom.

The reticulated python can reach greater length, but an anaconda of either sex has such enormous girth that they're almost twice as heavy. Female green anacondas can reach over 29-feet, may weigh over 550#, & can be more than 12 inches in diameter. // Meet one in water, & their sheer power plus their bulk means U're very-unlikely to get out alive - unless U have either a gun or a very-large, very-sharp knife, & are lucky-enuf to use it immediately. // Of course, if the gun gets wet, it's dead. :oops: Oops.
The boids & other giant snakes are the ultimate ambush predators - odds are good U won't even know they're there till yer hit, & the odds also favor U having no idea what the H*** just hit U.

Large predators in general don't make good pets - but try telling that to a Texan who owns one of the estimated 3,000 "backyard tigers" in that state, alone. :mad: In the wild, various experts guesstimate we have 2K surviving tigers of all species; the U-S is home to 5K in captivity, in "pet" homes, with the bulk of them in TX.

- terry

Now, I can imagine someone looking at a tiger cub and thinking 'Awwww, I want one.' But to be idiotic enough to then go and get one, thinking they'll still be a great pet in a couple of years time? You need a special category of stupid for people like that.

2013, N.B., Canada -

Snake kills two boys during sleepover, Canadian police say - CNN
Snake kills two boys during sleepover, Canadian police say - CNN
Aug 7, 2013 -
Two boys were found dead Monday morning in a Canadian town. Their suspected killer is a python.

Mother of N.B. boys killed by python: 'I thought they would be safe ...
https://globalnews.ca/.../testimony-continues-wednesday-in-case-of-new-brunswick-bo...
Nov 2, 2016 -
It soon escaped again and killed Noah Barthe, 4, and Connor Barthe, 6, in 2013. 'He told me he was sitting down in his living room and he looked up and the snake was halfway out', Eagles testified. UPDATE: Python owner found not guilty in deaths of New Brunswick boys. Eagles said she placed a cover ...

Python had escaped in incident prior to brothers' deaths, New ...
thestar.com | Toronto Star | Canada's largest daily › News › Canada
By Kevin Bissett, The Canadian Press.
Wed., Nov. 2, 2016.
CAMPBELLTON, N.B. - A New Brunswick courtroom was gripped Wednesday by the testimony of a grieving mother whose two boys were killedby a python weeks after the owner was warned the snake's possible escape route needed to be better secured.

Escaped python 'coiled' itself around brothers, repeatedly bit them ...
thestar.com | Toronto Star | Canada's largest daily › News › Canada
Nov 3, 2016 -
Most of the puncture wounds were 'found on the face', a pathologist told the court, speaking about the injuries to Connor Barthe. ... The boys died as a result of the snake 'coiling' around them, he said, with the specific cause of death being 'asphyxia due to neck strangulation'.

Criminal negligence, IMO, & as it occurred after he'd been warned, & moreover resulted in 2 deaths, the owner should have been charged with manslaughter, if not murder, & convicted.

- terry

Was that in the UK, @Josie? I wonder what they're like as pets - they're very cute but they look like little hooligans!

...I wonder what [raccoons] are like as pets - they're very cute, but they look like little hooligans!

R U familiar with ferrets? - think of a ferret, endlessly busy, insatiably curious, but imagine them bigger, stronger, smarter, & WITH HANDS - dexterous, clever, manipulative hands! :eek:

raccoons are H***, as pets - they get into EVERYthing, they can open latches & door-knobs & other fastenings that baffle dogs - hook-&-eye is child's play, for a 'coon. :( Only padlocks will keep them *In* - or for that matter, *Out*.

Once puberty hits, that adorable affectionate baby is gone, & a 15 to 40# adult arrives - said adult is prone to tantrums when frustrated, & will both bite & scratch, using ALL FOUR feet as weapons; their teeth are long & sharp, their claws are, too.
Adult Ms have weighed up to 60#; they are significantly larger, & much, much-more aggressive, than adult Fs.

A F coon & her brood of 5 used to come onto our farm porch at night, to eat leftover cat-food; when the solitary M arrived, the mum & her kits would clear off to a safe distance & wait, till he'd had all he wanted & left. She had zero interest in tangling with Mr Personality, who as he walked, often growled & muttered in threatening tones. He could literally be "heard coming" quite a ways off, & every critter with ears & a brain got out of his way.

As an aside, 'coons have been known to drown dogs - they are excellent swimmers, & will lure a chasing hound after them into deep water, then climb onto the dog's head & shoulders, & hang on with teeth & claws, to force them under water & hold them there.

- terry

some tidbits about Silkies as pets -

Silkie - Wikipedia
Silkie - Wikipedia
The Silkie (sometimes spelled Silky) is a breed of chicken named for its atypically fluffy plumage, which is said to feel like silk and satin. The breed has several other unusual qualities, such as black skin and bones, blue earlobes, and five toes on each foot, whereas most chickens only have four. They are often exhibited in ...
Skin color‎: ‎black or blue
APA‎: ‎Asiatic
Weight‎: ‎Male: Female
Egg color‎: ‎cream or tinted
History · ‎Characteristics · ‎Bantams · ‎Polydactyly

Silkie Chicken: All You Need To Know - The Happy Chicken Coop

Silkie Chicken: All You Need To Know
Oct 19, 2017 -
In this guide to Silkie Chickens, we'll discuss their egg laying capabilities and temperament before looking at how to identify a true Silkie and check if it...

Silkie chicken funny videos - YouTube
upload_2018-3-25_18-48-8.jpeg▶ 2:38
Feb 1, 2016 -
Uploaded by Red Panda
Silkie chicken funny videos

U can easily see why ppl like them. :) Cute; endearing personality; handy size; they can wear a diaper indoors [most poultry species poop every 20 to 30-mins]; can be trained to do tricks, come when called, & walk into their bath-water.

- terry

upload_2018-3-25_18-48-8.jpeg

Yes in the UK @JudyN - I think they’d need a lot of space. I believe they have a big outside pen and I guess they go in the house to!

We have an African grey called Basil. I was going to get OH a cockatiel but someone turned up at our house one Sunday morning and asked us to take her parrot , he had bitten her BF and he threatened to kill the bird. Basil arrived looking like a plucked chicken in a very small cage. His recovery took a while but with the right food, good light and lots of time he has made good progress.. We know he wil outlive us but we have made provision for him in our testament.View attachment 111975243

Oh wow, he's so gorgeous!! :)
it sounds like he's really spoilt now, bless him! That's a really nice set up for him. People don't realise how much parrots need, they're really intelligent and you can't just put them in a cage all day.
My mum used to have one but we had to re-home because she had another child, couldn't risk her being bitten plus my mum wouldn't have had as much time with a newborn to look after.

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back