The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

In The Wars Again...

~elizabeth~

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
Had a real fright this this evening, Gelert disappeared at high speed after something in the woods and disappeared for over an hour . Thankfully we found him eventually, but I think he's been kicked in the eye, I'm guessing the object of the chase was probably a deer. There was some blood in the eye, initially I thought he'd just scratched his lid, but it's beginning to swell up now and he's looking very sorry for himself. So off to his favourite place (the vets) again tomorrow.

Last edited by a moderator:
:huggles: hope he'll feel better in the morning.

Poor old Gelert :( This always what I fear when Archie has one of his 'adventures' Hoping he will will be nothing but a bit sore

Yes, we have been very lucky up to now, he's usually very careful about things which might hurt him, won't follow things into deep cover like that. I really thought he'd gone for good before we found him :sweating:

Lots of distracting things seem to happen in woods to lure whippets away :nuke: ......Poor wounded soldier Gelert...hope his eye heals quickly. :luck:

Poor gelert he is in the wars poor lad :huggles: :huggles: hope he gets well soon :luck: :luck:

Hope Gelert feels better soon :luck: :huggles: :luck: :huggles:

Julie

Well you should have come for a nice safe walk with me by the river :D

:huggles: :luck: to poor Gelert

Poor Gelert, good luck at the vets tomorrow :luck:

Poor Gelert - hope is feeling better in the morning :huggles: :wub:

Thanks for all the concern. Gelert seems to be a bit better now, he has stopped coughing and looking quite so sorry for himself. I think it was mostly minor scratches from the undergrowth. The vet had a look and decided the eyes needed treating so we have anti-inflammatory tablets and some antibiotic eye ointment (which he will really hate).

Glad he's feeling better, but I bet it won't stop him chasing Deer.

No, I bet it won't teach him a lesson either (funny this ability to forget unpleasant experiences doesn't apply to vets though :- " ) . Deer are increasing in number, and getting quite confident about coming into the open in daylight these days, you wouldn't have seen any before dusk one time. I saw a muntjac strolling across an open building site nearby mid-afternoon last week, completely ignoring the works people. (w00t) If I can't trust him not to follow into cover, it'll just be boring walks from now on :(

moriarte said:
Deer are increasing in number, and getting quite confident about coming into the open in daylight these days, you wouldn't have seen any before dusk one time. I saw a muntjac strolling across an open building site nearby mid-afternoon last week, completely ignoring the works people. (w00t) If I can't trust him not to follow into cover, it'll just be boring walks from now on  :(
Tell me about it!! We have both Roe Deer and Muntjac where I exercise mine (hence why Rupert was sporting a fetching blue bandage last Saturday) together with open fields and heavy bramble cover. The damn things seem to like being chased cos they won't move on!!!

I'm afraid mine just have to take their chances on getting injured though, I couldn't spoil their pleasure by doing boring walks!! Rupert especially seems prone to poking himself in the eye on brambles so I just keep a tube of Fucithalmic ointment on stand-by now!

What I object to is Aimee keep getting rid of coats! She shed another one yesterday afternoon but we found it intact apart from the front stitching torn asunder so it had just slipped off backwards, not in a bramble bush this time!luckily!!!

I expect I'll feel differently when he's not looking so pathetic. There's a limit to what you can do when deer come in the garden as well, you can't check for them every time he just goes out for a pee (although something tasty is always placed in his bowl just to remind him to come back, each he goes out :- " ). I never leave windows open for this reason either, he'd have been through the bedroom one several times after deer in the garden otherwise.

Deer in the garden (w00t) that is just TOO much, you have my utmost sympathy Elizabeth. I think I would have half a dozen Whippets out through the windows if that happened.

We have 6' fences all round so luckily the local fox and deer population cannot encroach. There is one tree bunny that is driving me mad though, he doesn't come in the garden very often cos of the cats, I think, but he races out of driveways and down the road just when I am going out with the Whips and they nearly wrench my arms out of their sockets trying to go after him ............. one day he'll get his come-uppance!!!!

We are surrounded by deer filled woodland. Don't think that we have muntjac over here yet. But they were heading this way so they might be here by now. We have mainly fallow deer here. Red's are still over the river but again might be on this side now.

They come into people's gardens and destroy their plants. Acer's don't stand much chance. They daintily stand with their front legs on a raised bed in front of my neighbours kitchen window and eat her bedding plants. She's now got a cage in which to grow her veggies.

They go into her garden on a daily basis. So far they haven't come into mine (got too much to eat at hers. I'm also hoping that the smell of my dogs will keep them out.

A big stag jumped onto a road just in front of another neighbours mini. Totalled the car as well as itself. It got trapped beneath her car. She thought that she was going to die. Took her ages before she'd drive again.

Glad to read that Gelert is better today. Worrying little creatures whippets.

Hope Gelert feels much better soon. :luck: :huggles: :luck:

Well, we've done half of one side (cost £500! (w00t) ) still 2 more boundaries to go!

There's a real growth industry in wildlife feeding at the moment, every single house abutting the common has a table full of dry bread just within whippet/muntjac reach. One of our neighbours has over 20 peanut feeders in the garden, none of them squirrel proof; my garden is full of buried nut stashes and there are more and more rats all the time - even the guys at the feed store were talking gleefully about the increase in rats (as I was buying yet another £25 bucket of rat bait).

Don't get me wrong, one of the lovely things about living here is the huge range of wildlife, I put feeders up for the little birds myself (at eaves level, well out of squirrel reach) but it's important that it learns to keep it's distance from humans and dogs; foxes are a real pest these days, they are active all through the day and have no fear. They leave the garden strewn with bones and other stuff they're raided from bins, whippet heaven!The little old ladies put cat food out for both them and the badgers too. I dread him finding a badger in the garden even more (w00t) :sweating:

If you do have a table, just take a little care, clear any unused food away as birds don't feed after mid day very much. An elderly friend had a table just outside her window, she was quite charmed by the rats sitting on it until one actually popped through the window!

Last edited by a moderator:

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back