The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Indigo & Tarka In A Tragic Accident Yesterday

kitty1972

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
Yesterday afternoon a terrible turn of events took place. Roger was walking Indigo & Tarka up at the woods when they both suddenly shot off in full chase after something, possibly a deer but Roger could not see.

Roger whistled them back but they were in full chase mode and had at this point got to a bed in the road near the woods.

Roger heard a yelp and ran up to find Indigo had been knocked down by a car. The driver did not stop and within seconds another car had run over Indigo. This car did not stop either. She died on impact.

Roger ran to her and lifted her from the road to hear another yelp and looked around to see Tarka being knocked down by another car. He put Indigo in some heather as she was very obviously dead and ran over to Tarka who had managed to pick himself up. The driver of this car did stop.

A very kind lady stopped to help Roger. She offered to take him and Tarka to the vets not realising another dog had been involved. Roger said he couldn’t just leave Indigo there and would have to carry her to his van. The lady said she would drive Tarka to me as I was closer than the vets which she did.

Tarka has been at the vets and was today transferred to another clinic. His Hip is badly damaged. The socket has been shattered and the pelvic bone has been damaged.

The vet has said this is a salvage job rather than a repair job and it is unlikely Tarka will enjoy his running anymore. He also has a small air sac on his lungs and severe bruising, has many tears and is in a terrible state of shock as you can imagine.

We are all finding the events terribly hard to accept. Indigo was only 17 months old and an absolute ray of sunshine. She was a very happy girl who was active non-stop and not a day would go by where she didn’t make you laugh with her antics. She also was like a sheep following everyone around the house inquisitively. We will miss her so much.

We are very lucky to still have Tarka, who is 5 years old and equally as precious. He will really miss his lively girlfriend.

It doesn’t seem real at the moment and the house is so empty.

I hope soon it will be easier to bear but I wanted to post a picture of Tarka and Indigo and acknowledge what has happened in some way.

wELSH_bEAUTY.JPG

Tarka_Indigo_pup.JPG

I am so so very sorry, how terrible for you. Please know I am thinking of you. RIP Indigo, fingers crossed that your boy makes a good recovery. :( :(

This is just so awful :( RIP Indigo and I'm keeping everything crossed that Tarka makes a full recovery :luck: Thinking of you :luck: :luck:

:'( so sorry to hear this you must be deverstated my heart goes out to you it truley does ,RIP LITTLE GIRL ,and lots of luck to your little boy :huggles: :luck: :luck: :luck:

What a horrible event for you both. I hope your little boy recovers, RIP Indigo

:( Im so sorry. How devastating for you both. :luck: :luck: for Tarka :huggles:

RIP Indigo :(

How terribly sad, what an aweful spate of events... :( You must all be in complete shock. Im Thinking of you all and hope you all recover from this terrible tragedy.. :( :huggles: and that Tarka makes a full recovery too. :huggles:

RIP Indigo....Run free So very sorry.

I am so so sorry to read this.

Thinking of you and your family at what must be such a terrible time for you all. Also sending lots of positive thoughts to Tarka and hope that he is back home with you soon

:huggles:

How very sad ... RIP Indigo and hoping that your lad recovers well... :huggles:

OMG,my heart goes out to you both at this dreadfully sad time :'( :huggles:

I shall be sending loads of healing thoughts to Tarka & pray he makes a full recovery :luck: :luck: :luck:

R I P Indigo :(

I'm very sorry to hear about your loss, so tragic. I hope that Tarka makes a good recovery.

Oh, that is quite dreadful - how devastating for you. Hope Tarka makes a good recovery.

RIP Indigo.

:( :( I am so sorry...what an awful thing to happen. All of us here are thinking of you and sending hopes and prayers for Tarka :huggles: :huggles: :luck: :luck:

RIP Indigo Beautiful Girl xx

:( How awful for you and your family, can't imagine what you are all going threw :(

So So sorry you lost your little girl

Sending lots of :huggles: :huggles: :luck: :luck: for your boy.

I am so sorry to hear this, keeping my fingers crossed for Tarka :luck: :luck: :luck: and sending you all loads of hugs :huggles: :huggles: :huggles: :huggles:

RIP Indigo, run free xx :huggles:

So sorry to hear your awful news. My thoughts are with you all at this time :huggles:

Run free Indigo :huggles:

Last edited by a moderator:
:( So, so sorry. That is such tragic news. I will be thinking of you and sending healing thoughts to Tarka. What a dreadful shock.

Sleep tight beautiful Indigo and heal well Tarka :huggles: :huggles:

Oh no, how awful for you, I can't find the words to say.

I am thinking of you all and I hope Tarka makes the best recovery as soon as possible (I know it will take time) and I am so sorry about your little girl.

I am absolutely gutted for you.

RIP Indigo.

Hugs for you all.

Regards, Gill

I am so sorry to read of your awful loss :(

I too have had a Whippet run over and he died in my arms at the side of the road, but your experience of having TWO dogs knocked down must seem like a nightmare :eek:

It is such a shock, and so hard to come to terms with, but I found the homeopathic remedy Ignatia helped to lessen the rawness of the grief. Try not to go through the events over and over in your head if you can, it will just drive you mad. Even now I try not to think about it, but to remember my boy as the happy loving chap he was- I hope you can find it a little easier in time.

Thinking of you all- look after yourselves :huggles:

Liz and the Monellis

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back